User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Rocker_UAE OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Help me plan my PHC Trip

Greetings. What an awesome forum, I decided to join after about two minutes of reading some of the threads.

Well ive always wanted to visit the US, and what better way to tour it then on a Harley.

Id like to travel to LA from the United Arab Emirates and pick up a bike from a rental company called Eagle Riders which i hear good things about. From LA head to Las Vegas then to the Grand Canyon up to Page - Salt Lake City - Seattle - Portland and from Portland down the Pacific highway coast and tour all the great cities and attractions on the way.

These are the bones of the trip now i need to add the flesh and skin to it. Ive never visited the States before and i need advice on everything, from highways to places to visit to what to wear etc etc etc.

Im planning to go solo also, would there be any safety issues with this.

Thanks
Rocker_UAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,297
What you have planned out will be a nice route.

Now the questions...When you coming? What time of year, this will make a big difference in planning. Any camping involved or all motel?

Highlights to consider...after Vegas-Zion Nat'l Park, North Rim of Grand Canyon, back up to Bryce NP, Hwy 12 thru Utah(one of our finest roads). Now your moving close to our Rocky Mtns(the sites here are endless). Now your close to Yellowston NP, then on to Mount Rushmore.....

Well your starting to get the idea. Check the regional section of Adv Rider(West & Rockies & Pacific Northwest).

Start putting up more details and you'll be getting responses.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Rocker_UAE OP
n00b

Great could you give me some of the highways to the places you mentioned.

Im hoping to start beginning of April. 2 weeks should be enough i estimated that the whole trip is about 2800 miles.

The only Highway im sure about so far is Highway 1 or Pacific Highway Coast. I ordered a few lonely planet books on the Pacific Northwest but other than that still not very much information.

How is the weather in these places in April

Thanks Guys.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #4
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,891
Pacific Coast Highway. Or PCH. Awesome road. Main thing is to try to keep from staring at the beautiful views to long and ride off a 300 foot cliff. DAMHIK . Speaking of views, try to incorporate Durango Colorado, to Silverton, to Ouray on the "million Dollar Highway" . Good luck. Have fun....BTW +1 on highway 12 Utah. Awesome stone landscape.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
rick danger
Off the wagon

Some pics from my trip. PCH

Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
rick danger
Off the wagon

Rockies trip. Colorado: Utah:

Old 02-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,563
Oh man could I plan a trip for you!

If you are going to do PCH, do not forget the "Avenue of the Giants"..massive Redwood trees! and a beautiful ride!

This is in Northen California just south of the Oregon state line..Avenue of the Giants is abt 30 miles long..you will come off PCH and cross hwy 101..it runs N and S...and after you cross into Oregon, go check out Crater Lake..you will not be disappointed!

Crater Lake..the prettiest blue you will ever see on this planet!

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker_UAE View Post
Great could you give me some of the highways to the places you mentioned.

Im hoping to start beginning of April. 2 weeks should be enough i estimated that the whole trip is about 2800 miles.

The only Highway im sure about so far is Highway 1 or Pacific Highway Coast. I ordered a few lonely planet books on the Pacific Northwest but other than that still not very much information.

How is the weather in these places in April

Thanks Guys.
In April your route will be limited since many of the passes in the mountains will still be closed due to snow. It will also be cold at the higher elevations. Plan on dressing warm since you will have to deal with some cold weather although it should be very nice in the southern US.

It would be better to go in late May or June but if you go in April I would recomend planning a route to take you through southern Utah and then pass south of the Rocky mountains by going through New Mexico and then East.

Two weeks is plenty of time to ride across the country but will not give you much time for exploring.

As for safety traveling alone. There are some bad sections in many large cities where it is not wise to go at night but overall I wouldn't worry about it.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
Rocker_UAE OP
n00b

Great ideas and suggestions which I will definitely try to incorporate for the trip, as for the date its not 100% yet i could postpone it a month or 2 if it means having a better trip. I have planned an overall route which still has alot of work. Id appreciate any suggestions regarding sights hotels/inns or different routes. This is just for a feel of what im planning to do.

Day 1: Los Angeles to Laughlin (353 miles)

Day 2: Laughlin to Las Vegas (115 miles)

Day 3: Las Vegas to Grand Canyon (230 miles)

Day 4: Gran Canyon to Salt Lake City (372 miles)

Day 5: Salt Lake City to Boise (340 miles)

Day 6: Boise to Portland (480 miles)

Day 7: Portland to Reedsport (265 miles)

Day 8: Reedsport to Sanfrancisco (516 miles)

Day 9: San francisco to Santa Barbera (337 miles)

Day 10: Santa Barbera to Los Angeles (95 miles)

Ill have to give my bike back in and probably spend the day exploring LA before catching my flight back to Chicago and back on to the UAE.

Total distance is approx 3100 miles

Im planning on renting a Honda Goldwing from Eagle Riders in LA. I have a BMW K1200lt and a Harley Davidson Rocker at home but due to reliability and fuel range and the fact that i dont want it breaking down on me while im riding solo in the middle of no where. Any thoughts on the bike I chose.

Thanks guys keep the good suggestions coming.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 119
on the leg from San Francisco to Santa Barbara you should take highway 1, IMO. this route hugs the coast, has spectacular views and the road is made for bikes! the first couple of pic that " rick danger" posted are from that area. You will not be disappointed....
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #11
Rocker_UAE OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post
on the leg from San Francisco to Santa Barbara you should take highway 1, IMO. this route hugs the coast, has spectacular views and the road is made for bikes! the first couple of pic that " rick danger" posted are from that area. You will not be disappointed....
You are absolutely right i dunno how i missed that. Out of all of the highways that is the one i want to see most, I didnt know it turns from highway 101 to highway 1 once you enter california so ill change that thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 613
Also the "Lost Coast" in northern California. Can't remember the number of the road off hand but I'm sure some one will mention it. I've only done it once but would go back a hundred times.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Rocker_UAE OP
n00b

I made some changes to incorporate some of the suggestions you guys made and eliminated Portland, trip route now looks something like this

Day 1: Los Angeles to San Diego (139 miles)

Day 2: San Diego to Las Vegas (425 miles)

Day 3: Las Vegas to Grand Canyon (230 miles)

Day 4: Grand Canyon to Salt Lake City (372 miles)

Day 5: Salt Lake City to Boise (340 miles)

Day 6: Boise to Crater National Park (413 miles)

Day 7: Crater National Park to Eureka Via 'Valley of the Giants' (308 miles)

Day 8: Eureka to San Francisco (369 miles)

Day 9: San Francisco to Santa Barbra (371 miles) PHC

Day 10: Santa Barbara to Los Angeles (95 miles)

Keep the suggestions coming guys you are a great help