User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Looking at Upgrading my Road King's suspension

I've been looking at changing things up on my 2007 Road King Standard for a better suspension set up and I'm confused on what's a better option. Looking at the Progressive page, its all sales pitch and hard to tell which would be a better option.

First off, I don't care about fancy covers and that BS. It's a bagger and you can't see it. Secondly, I don't really care if I retain the air assist it has now. Truthfully, I don't keep up with it on my stock stuff and it leaks down to zero psi in a week anyhow.

My plan is this, Race Tech front fork springs (.95kg) with emulators and then out back I'm looking at either the Progressive 412, 440, or the 940. I don't care about lowering anything, that's not what i'm looking for. I want handling.

So my question is, between the 412, 440, and 940 which is the better option for a heavy bike with a 180 lbs guy on it? The Progressive page it really pretty worthless on recommendations. Its hard to tell what the difference in them is. The 940 seems "geared" towards touring but of course its 1" lower and I don't want that. My bike doesn't need to be lower... It needs to ride better! The 812 and the 430 have been elminated because they seem like fancied up version of existing springs with chrome covers. Shit, I don't care if they're pink if they work right. I'm not paying for chrome covers and contrast cut bullshit...

So, in a way I guess I've talked myself down to the 412 or the 440. I like the fact that the 940 is geared towards touring bikes, but I don't want the 1" of lowering. So what say all of you? What's the better choice here?

chambersc screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 07:52 AM
chambersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
You might also want to post this question on hdforums.com.

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did a little searching the HD forums after I posted this and it looks like for the heavier Touring Bikes people like the 440 best, especially if they ride two up. For the lighter Dyna's and Sporty's; most go with the 412.

Also found out that Ohlins makes an HD 022 for the rears too, but I don't think I'm going to have THAT kind of spare cash laying around. I also probably don't need that much tunability. I'll end up playing with knobs too much and making things worse.

Simpler is probably better for me...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersc View Post
I did a little searching the HD forums after I posted this and it looks like for the heavier Touring Bikes people like the 440 best, especially if they ride two up. For the lighter Dyna's and Sporty's; most go with the 412.

Also found out that Ohlins makes an HD 022 for the rears too, but I don't think I'm going to have THAT kind of spare cash laying around. I also probably don't need that much tunability. I'll end up playing with knobs too much and making things worse.

Simpler is probably better for me...
The 412's are Prog's basic shock. Speaking from experience, they work well. This is particularly noticeable because Harley's stock suspension sucks. You can choose a regular spring or heavy duty spring. You can also get them in several different lengths.

The 440's are nicer and what I would recommend for a touring bike. Again, not that the 412's are bad, but the 440's are better.

Your stock suspension should not leak down in a week. You can use a squirt bottle filled with a mild soapy water solution and spray down the fittings & lines to find the leak. If you don't find a leak anywhere you may have a leaking shock, something that I've seen happen occasionally.

Even with the stock shocks working as designed I think by comparison to just about any aftermarket suspension options they ride like ass. No matter what you buy you are likely to be happier.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Savoir-Faire
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 859
While you're at it, replace your front fork oil with the HD Heavyweight fork oil. I did that on my Road Glide and the difference it made is incredible, especially on rough roads like Chicago's.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The 412's are Prog's basic shock. Speaking from experience, they work well. This is particularly noticeable because Harley's stock suspension sucks. You can choose a regular spring or heavy duty spring. You can also get them in several different lengths.

The 440's are nicer and what I would recommend for a touring bike. Again, not that the 412's are bad, but the 440's are better.

Your stock suspension should not leak down in a week. You can use a squirt bottle filled with a mild soapy water solution and spray down the fittings & lines to find the leak. If you don't find a leak anywhere you may have a leaking shock, something that I've seen happen occasionally.

Even with the stock shocks working as designed I think by comparison to just about any aftermarket suspension options they ride like ass. No matter what you buy you are likely to be happier.
Sadly, from day #1 on this bike its leaked down in a week. Did the squirt bottle thing on the fittings early on and found nothing. I think my shocks have always leaked.

I intend to change to a Race Tech front spring along with their recommended fork oil and possible emulators.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
This just drives me nutz in the touring bike segment. Not HD specific, my GL1800's suspension is mediocre at best as well.
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate View Post
This just drives me nutz in the touring bike segment. Not HD specific, my GL1800's suspension is mediocre at best as well.
I'd be happy with Harley if their suspension was mediocre

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I have not bought Progressive brand shocks since the 1976 when that brand offered an improvement over most stock suspension components. Since then the company turns out mostly junk. If their shocks offer an improvement over HD or any other brand then HD and others are really reaching for new lows in cheap.

Good suspension will cost real money, not $1000 for shocks but $650 or so and you do not need remote reservoirs. Works Performance, Penske, Ohlins and others are not cheap. But the improvement in ride and performance will be far above what you are looking at now. Race Tech is a good start.

I may be wrong about Progressive brand, maybe the company is making better product now but just 10 years ago it was laughable.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersc View Post
Sadly, from day #1 on this bike its leaked down in a week. Did the squirt bottle thing on the fittings early on and found nothing. I think my shocks have always leaked.

I intend to change to a Race Tech front spring along with their recommended fork oil and possible emulators.
One of the decision making points when I BOUGHT my current cruiser was it HAD to have air suspension. My Concours had it for 20 years... I loved it. 60 second asjustment for pillion duty. My 2003 Victory TC had a threaded body FOX shock tucked under the seat. Absolute dog balls to adjust with a spanner with no access. One of the sevral reasons I dumped that bike before dumping $2K in upgrades to make it competent.
Don't give up on air supension just because yours leaks. Neither of the two I've had leak down at all. If I were you, I'd strongly consider an aftermaket premium air shock set. NOT the slammer BS to lay the frame down when parked, but a REAL set... http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html
Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Yeah, I'm looking at upgradeing the boingers on my Electra Glide and I'm going to keep checking this thread to see how it evolves. I have drank the Ohlin's kool aid and it's hard to say no. They have come out with a new top of the line HD927, but at $1,500.00 a set and no remote preload adjust that's kind of hard to swallow. The $$$ is crazy, but hasn't stopped me in the past. The lack of a remote preload adjuster sucks. The obvious question is would I really use it?

The front end also has a wide spread of choices from just springs to the Traxxion Dynamics $1,000.00 cartridage kit. The Traxxion deal is probably out for me because they are fully adjustable but to do the adjustment you have to pull the fairing, not gonna happen. I'll probably do the springs/emulators.

As far as checking the HD forums for info, I have tried but the sites are loaded with so much crap running in the background they are way unruly with my internet service, making them pretty unusable.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Ohlins is the stuff, put one on another bike of mine and wow, my Harley is next to get Ohlins.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I've got a FLHR and FLHTCU. Last year put 440 12.5 hvy spring on the FLHTCU, and will do that or maybe 12's on the FLHR.

My FLHR is set up with a tourpak, not that is really much weight. I do like having my Road King a little lower.

440s kick ass. If you search around the internet can get them for $430, with a 3 week wait.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
this might help if you can read it and link

http://www.traxxion.com/

http://store.ricorshocks.com/

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12154.285

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/index.html

Why are those links in purple?? If they don't link up i put the company names below.

I hope these help. I dont know how to change the color so you can read them but they lead to

Traxxion.com
Motorcylclemetal.com
a long thread on cvo custom
Ricor.com
Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Forgot

I forgot to say that I have used 440's on a Dyna and on a Roadglide and for the money they are a huge upgrade over the stock suspension.

I want to do my forks next.

TG