Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
The problem with louder horns, especially if they're tonally different from what came with the vehicle, is that people who hear them start looking for the class of vehicle they associate with the horn. If someone hears a locomotive horn, he's going to freak and look right through the motorcyclist to see where the fuck the train is that's about to hit him. I want people to hear a bike horn and look for a bike, not hear a truck horn and run over me while they look for a truck.
thats not how it works.They get the fuck out a your way THEN they look!.I have had air horns on lots of bikes and thats what happens
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
The problem with louder horns, especially if they're tonally different from what came with the vehicle, is that people who hear them start looking for the class of vehicle they associate with the horn. If someone hears a locomotive horn, he's going to freak and look right through the motorcyclist to see where the fuck the train is that's about to hit him. I want people to hear a bike horn and look for a bike, not hear a truck horn and run over me while they look for a truck.
That does happen - they don't associate the horn with the small vehicle, but even that can work for you. When I was young I kept encountering a particular lady in a big Caddy on my commute and she kept pulling out in front of me from a side road even though my lights were on. My horn was pathetic so I put a truck horn on my Triumph TR3 (car, not bike) and the next time she did I honked at her and she stopped whereas she didn't before. She didn't see a truck so she started to pull out again and I honked again as I went by her, and again she stopped.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #18
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
That does happen - they don't associate the horn with the small vehicle, but even that can work for you. When I was young I kept encountering a particular lady in a big Caddy on my commute and she kept pulling out in front of me from a side road even though my lights were on. My horn was pathetic so I put a truck horn on my Triumph TR3 (car, not bike) and the next time she did I honked at her and she stopped whereas she didn't before. She didn't see a truck so she started to pull out again and I honked again as I went by her, and again she stopped.
So in other words she was a bitch in a Cadillac who felt entitled to pull out in front of anyone in a smaller vehicle, period.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,415
Quote:
I just got a truck and after a couple of weeks it occurred to me that I could finally get a train horn, not just a big truck horn but a train horn.

I need an air compressor for the ARB lockers I will get, probably for an air suspension, and of course the train horn, then there is the idea of being able to air up tires and maybe even to drive air tools.

My truck has a retractable air hose mounted underneath it as well.

Plenty long enough to air up any of the tires, and nice to be able to do the ones on the trailer if needed as well.

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I need an air compressor for the ARB lockers I will get, probably for an air suspension, and of course the train horn, then there is the idea of being able to air up tires and maybe even to drive air tools.
I've read about that, taking along so much gear in case of a breakdown that the truck breaks from being overloaded. Then the response seems to be to pack spares for the parts that break.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035

just got a book today on building your own horns from PVC.
Very good instructions/color printing on-line support
dozerboy0714@hotmail.com
search him out on youtube @ dozerboymiller videos
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #22
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,726
How about a one shot horn? Use a pyrotechnic package to provide the gas like an air bag actuator.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #23
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
So in other words she was a bitch in a Cadillac who felt entitled to pull out in front of anyone in a smaller vehicle, period.
Yup. Pretty much. She saw me, but just didn't care that I had the right of way.

She reminded me of my grandma whose motto was "they can watch out for me - I have the bigger car" and yes, my grandma drove a caddy too.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
I've read about that, taking along so much gear in case of a breakdown that the truck breaks from being overloaded. Then the response seems to be to pack spares for the parts that break.
Well, this rig is being built specifically for packing gear and as an RV, so I don't think having an air compressor and maybe a few tools is going to be a problem compared to the camper and the bikes and fuel and water and batteries I will be hauling. Of course weight is an issue with any rig, but I am keeping an eye on it and doing what I can to keep the weight down, but I will need air anyway to air up the tires on my dirt bike, and as I said it will have the ARB lockers and so on.

I am not going to purposely be going off-roading with this rig - too big and heavy for that, and I want it as my way to get home. The dirt bike will be what I use for off-road exploring. I do need the rig to be somewhat capable in muddy or snowy or sandy areas - you never know when you might slide off into a ditch, or it could rain and the dirt road you came in on is now awful muddy, or it could snow (like it has been doing here for the past week or so).
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #25
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,858
My RTP has the police-issue siren and loudspeaker setup. I only have it wired for the air horn function. Sounds just like a firetruck horn because that is basically what it is. Yes, it gets attention. Most people get the f out of the way. But there was this one lady one morning....I don't know what was up with her, but she didn't even flinch and kept merging into me.

They're small enough for car or big bike mounting, but they're heavy and take up space. No air necessary.
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am not going to purposely be going off-roading with this rig - too big and heavy for that, and I want it as my way to get home.
That's a different scenario. I was thinking of the 4x4 guys who end up way out in BFE and want to be able to machine a new engine block from raw ore "just in case."
Old 02-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post

My ktm horn sounds like an ATM.

I just yell, it has the same effect.
I yell, they read my lips (through the closed face helmet) , then the fun begins.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 25,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasser View Post
He did a 2 second blast. HOLY FUCK!! I'm pretty sure I crapped my pants. Those friggin horns where under the floor about 2 feet behind me.

Thank you for being honest. It made it all the funnier.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #29
Denis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
I've got the four horn set from Horn Blasters, $199.00. They have saved my bacon on many occasions.

I use a Vaiair compressor/tank set up to provide the air.

Denis
Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #30
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
That's a different scenario. I was thinking of the 4x4 guys who end up way out in BFE and want to be able to machine a new engine block from raw ore "just in case."
I may end up in BFE, but I am not going to be rock crawling or mud holing with a rig that weighs 10+K and has a 165" WB with a camper on it - not if I can help it. I've been stuck with much lighter rigs and things can break pretty easily - add some weight and as pointed out they break easier and faster.

No, I was thinking of at least an air wrench for the lug nuts and maybe other bolts or nuts that are hard to get on/off. Not sure what else. Certainly having a renewable air supply is awful handy for tire repair and for airing tires up and down. If you already have to have one for air driven lockers, might as well have a tank and a decent compressor. If I do go with an air ride suspension then I'll probably need a tank for that. Might as well combine it all together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: