User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Andy-Gadget OP
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,316
Setting up my mainland airhead for the long term

I usually have a bike stashed on the other side of Bass Strait, as the ferry sh1ts me to tears, but I let the rego laps a year ago, and so needed to bring it home to get it re-registered again.
Tasmania doesn't have annual inspections, unlike most of the mainland states, so I can keep it registered by just paying, On time that is

I had bought a '93 R100LT that had been front ended, and grabbed the motor, (small valve, 32mm carby, 8.5 compression, unleaded) which should be a nice flexible all rounder.
The old motor was an '84 RS high comp leaded motor, wasted on this bike, gone are the days taking full advantage of the 51 Kw.

The main object of the exersize is to make a bike that will require oil changes and tires only.

Off with the standard bosch alternator, I have killed too many rotors over the years to trust them very far, on with en Endurolast kit, but wired up my way.

One place I differed from the instructions is where to place the recterfier/regulator, I am of the strong opinion that they need to be out in the air stream, if they run hot, they fail, and the whole exersize with this bike is reliability.

To my eye, form follows function, as you may have noticed
If something works well, then it looks good to me, sort of the reverse of HD's
So out in the airstream the recterfier/regulator is.

New Hepco and Becker "classic" panniers to replace the boxes I was running, from my '76 R90S.
This required a new "behind the numberplate" brace.

I had a set of Hella HID driving lights hanging around the garage, so on with them, with the hardest job being mounting the ballasts.

Notice the LED indicator lights velcroed to the instruments, this is because of a problem I encountered when fitting LED blinker bulbs, BMW's single blinker light in the instruments was causing all the blinkers to blink together through feedback through the instrument bulb.
The simplest fix is to remove the bulb in the instruments, and fit external lights, a simple jub as the wiring loom is an RS one, and so has the fairing electrical plug unused, which includes blinkers.

I added some extra power plugs and switches, from left to right, heated hand grip, unused, HID driving lights, Power plugs are, on always, on with ignition, on always.

I can't take it for a test ride yet, as I am off back to sea in a weeks time, and so will register it when I return, I have too many fully registered vehicles as it is, so it can wait.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Andy-Gadget OP
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,316
My LED tail light arrived, and was fitted, LED replacement instrument lights are on order, the only non-LED light shortly to be left on the bike will be the headlight, and the temptation to fit one of my Hi/Low HID kits is high, but I think I will resist the temptation.

Decided to loose the windscreen, speed isn't what this bike is about, and it makes my Shoei Multytech helmet noisy enough to need ear plugs, and the GPS mount fits better without it in place.

Nothing like neat wiring, NOT.

The final drive has been fully rebuilt, and was as stuffed as a final drive could be and still function, a new uni joint in the drive shaft and the final drive is as rights as it can be.
The gearbox was a young rebuild when a week of rain and an unsealed speedo cable meant that a rebearing was indicated, again, oh well, ultimately my own fault anyway.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Love the new alternator

Scary cockpit
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
MaraBiker
Vozi Miško!

Oddometer: 97
You got yourself a space beetle. Is that Givi A600 or A660 windshield. Are you satisfied with it?