User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
weed099 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Gas tanks expanded, won't fit back on

I took my 2005 950 Adventure apart to replace the waterpump, which it turns out it was probably fine. But now I am putting it back together and the gas tanks don't fit. I noticed something wasn't right because the fuel tank was rubbing the side panel, which I didn't think it was that close o a fit when I took them off. Now trying to get the crashbars on, I can't even get the tanks bolted up. Nothing lines up right to get the bolts in, even without the crashbars. I'm stuck, what now?
weed099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
They do that when you take them off when they're full or near full. Just get the top hole centered over the threads and stick the bolt in 2-3 turns. Then do the rear bolt the same. Now wiggle and push all of the loose ends together at the front hole. The nut will slide around in the over large opening in the mount. Tighten all the bolts starting with the rear, then top, and finally the front. Tighten the crash bar's other mounts last. Next time empty the tanks first. Its easier to get back together that way.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,855
Ive had the same issue every time Ive torn my down. Studding the front crash bar mount helps a bit also. I start the top tank bolt just to keep in place then attack the front lower which always seems the worst. I generally have to push up pretty hard on the tank to line up the hole, then the top and the others as needed. Rule #1, never snug up anything until their all at least started a few threads.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Ethanol is causing this same problem with plastic based tanks on many different models and brands. Thank Congress and the corn subsidies for this one.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
weed099 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I started with the top, then the rear, but the bottom won't line up. I can't even get the crashbars to mount to the frame. The tank seems like it expanded too much. Complaining of gas fumes, my dad set them outside in the sun today. Any suggestions to get them shrink back.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Try emptying them. Get them out of the sun. Leave the top bolt loose so the tank can raise up that inch or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weed099 View Post
I started with the top, then the rear, but the bottom won't line up. I can't even get the crashbars to mount to the frame. The tank seems like it expanded too much. Complaining of gas fumes, my dad set them outside in the sun today. Any suggestions to get them shrink back.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
weed099 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They are almost empty. Not much gas in them. They are now in the basement, hopefully cool down and shrink some.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
When this happen to me a few years ago I lined up the top bolt and the back, kept them loose then put a floor jack under the bottom of the tank and jently jacked it up until the bolt was started. I think the next time I take them off i am going to make up a jig to bolt them to so this won't happen again.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Yup. Always empty the tanks before leaving them off. Chuck the gas in your car. Refill when done. Easier to move the tanks around. Also useful if you were a bonehead and let your KTM dealer do the top crossover TSB
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Scottyman
Blue & Orange

Oddometer: 61
I did the same maneuver with the floor jack, works like a charm!

"Ride fast and take chances!"
Scottyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,565
I had my tanks off for a while and had trouble too. The tank seemed to bow, slightly, leaving the bolt holes a little farther apart.

This was my cure: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=12

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by weed099 View Post

Mine warped too, before I learned about the problem of having them off when full. DOH!

It's awkward, but I start with the BOTTOM bolt first, crash bars and all. I balance the whole thing on my knees and wriggle and wrestle until I get a couple turns threaded in, then go on to the top and rear bolts which snug up pretty easy, a little at a time on all three bolts.

You can do it! Patience... It's just a little extra "bonding time" with your bike, next time it'll be easier.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
M.Mars
híppos leukós

Oddometer: 202
AHHHHH son of a biiiiitch !! I had my tanks off for about 3 months now and they are 3/4 full. IS this whats awaiting me ?!?!

M.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Mars View Post
AHHHHH son of a biiiiitch !! I had my tanks off for about 3 months now and they are 3/4 full. IS this whats awaiting me ?!?!

Different question. What were you thinking that gas was going to be good for after sitting in the tank for 3,4,6 months? I'd add it to your car's mostly full tank now and put fresh into the ktm when you're ready to reinstall.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Tanks

Make sure to cuss,kick and throw shit. It helps from time to time.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote