Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
Thanks for that ride report, that struck a nerve with me for some reason. I just drove from FloriDUH to Austin TX last weekend for a little vaca time with the wifey and went right past your ride loop, so it was really cool to see what great local riding there is for the taking there if you just know how to find it.

Also, I mean no offense whatsoever by this, but unfortunately, when I think of the deep south, I think of this, among other things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
I hate to end a ride report on a sour note but during my ride, I couldn't help noticing the amount of trash accumulated in various places out in the basin. You would think that the people who come here to enjoy all that nature has to offer would be more considerate.
Filthy pigs!

The roads and ditches are littered with beer cans and every place where someone could stop to enjoy the view, they have done so, while leaving every piece of disposable garbage they brought with them behind to spoil it for others. How f***ing stupid can you be?
Filthy pigs!

Even worse, along quiet stretches of the blacktop roads, wherever there is a place with no residences near enough to possibly see (and a few places where there are), I encountered localized mounds of trash bags, old furniture, and the usual old appliances and tires. This is deliberate, premeditated dumping of household waste. I got so mad when I saw this, it almost ruined my day. It's not as if I haven't seen it before of course - In third world countries where there is no municipal sanitation!!!!!! Some people just don't deserve to live in a civilized country!
Filthy pigs!
It all goes down to a system of education, of lack thereof, and general ignorance for what is acceptable in modern society.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #17
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,357
Neat report Been awhile since I've done that route. The Basin is a beautiful place. I was looking about Henderson yesterday in my daily ride about.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
It was perfect weather for a ride. It turned out to be a good route although I was honestly expecting it to feel a bit more remote. I had especially hoped to find spots where I could see more wildlife - Maybe should have gone along the top of the levee where I could see into the basin side most of the time. Need to find some more roads like that within easy distance of Baton Rouge - Any ideas?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
I believe thats malt liquor cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I GUARANTEE there were no Mexicans involved in what I saw today
If so I dont think it was a bunch of illegals.
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
What a nice report on a place I knew nothing about, other than the name on that long bridge on I-10. Next time I am down there on my GS, I will go off interstate for awhile. Thanks!
RottVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 273
Levee road good and wet is slicker n $**t. The last time I was there: no pavement (except for a coupla miles at the park) between Henderson and Lake Fausse Point State Park. This is real Bayou.

Lake Fausse Point State Park is wonderful. Gators lay up under the cabins and there are various other critters with big teeth and venom, but none bother you. Just north of the park is a little rental place where you can go out among giant cyprus trees on a pontoon boat....not to be missed.

Crawfish, boudin, jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee ... oh man!

I seriously want to go back.

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #22
LivingLifeWell
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great post -I was riding the levee south of Henderson a couple of weeks ago and in the distance saw what I thought was a log on the top of the levee about 100 yds in front of me - as I got closer a gator started down toward the water; if only i'd brought a camera Riding the "basin" is always an adventure. Let me know if you're planning another trip, I live in Lafayette.
LivingLifeWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I'm looking, weather permitting, along with another fellow or two, to ride the Atchafalaya Basin levees next week, Mon/Tues, Jan. 2-3, starting at US Hwy 190 and heading south on the west levee to Henderson, then on to Morgan City, then back up the east levee thru Bayou Sorrel to Ramah to US Hwy 190 again.

Am I correct that there is an impassable water control structure on the west levee shortly before reaching US Hwy 90 at Ricohoc?

If I understand correctly, there is a bridge across the Intracoastal Canal (in pic below) to permit continuing north on the east levee? Please offer up any additional advice or suggestions to help us plan our ride. Thanks
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 01:26 PM
SwampFox883R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
I have ridden the section starting just north of the lock in the picture and planned to ride through to it from the South. Was not entirely sure if I was supposed to be on Corps of Engineers' property so I turned around. I since heard that there is indeed a bridge and that I should have been able to cross. If I'd ridden up to the other end of the lock, no doubt I would have found out. Might go back there again soon, so if it's passable I'll find out - but you might as well do the same thing yourself.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
We ended up doing the same thing. The gravel road north out of Bayou Pigeon marked "No Trespassing" so went around to Bayou Sorrell and rode the gravel road north to Hwy 190. Since we apparently cannot legally travel the section south of the lock to Bayou Pigeon, crossing the lock is moot.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is online now   Reply With Quote