Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2005, 01:12 AM   #16
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Photos like that one are very appropriate here. Inspiration is what it's all about.

This guy, Bob, from IL, had already spent 3 weeks here in AK and was planning on spending another month. At that time of year (late August) I advised against staying until the middle of September as winter can close in with a swift and icy grip about then, and this year I was more right than I have ever been.
Timing is everthing here. You don't want to start up much sooner than mid May and you want to be on your way back by mid September. Hey, I've lived here 30+ years and haven't seen everything, so if you don't squeeze it all in on one trip, don't think you've cheated yourself.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:25 PM   #17
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJimmy
Killer shot!
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:00 PM   #18
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJimmy

Brilliant shot mate

I did the night run last summer pulling into Deadhorse right at midnight. Turned straight around and headed back to Fairbanks,

Ended up doing FB-Deadhorse-FB, 1100 miles in 26 hours, non stop, no sleep, no food.

The isolation and imagies from that run. I'll take to my grave.

stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #19
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Great Photo

Ant is an animal when he gets in the saddle. 26 hours up and back on the haul road might be a record. Not a part of the eat to ride and ride to eat group for sure.

The photo also gives a pretty good idea of what the gravel can look like.

I have shipped my bike out of Anchorage and ridden to Daytona for bike week. Crating, shipping Anchorage to Portland and return was just over $700.00 I believe. Ship early because it's probably going to Alaska by Boat out of Seattle.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:47 AM   #20
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineKeith
Hey Mini Gun,

I live in Virginia too and am thinking of going to Alaska this year myself. I have done alot of long distance riding and I think I could get to the top of Alaska and back to VA in two weeks but prefer to take three weeks (give or take a few days). PM me if you are interested in a riding partner there.
In. Let's do it!
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #21
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
In. Let's do it!

Try to include D2D. You will meet locals who can assist both of you (and others) in your FarNorth adventure. Keep us posted.
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #22
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
Try to include D2D. You will meet locals who can assist both of you (and others) in your FarNorth adventure. Keep us posted.
Thanks. Keith and I need to nail down a date first. Being the first time up that way any help would be nice.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #23
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Thanks. Keith and I need to nail down a date first. Being the first time up that way any help would be nice.
JUNE!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #24
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
WooooHoooooooooooo! Take off hoser! Take off to the Great White North.

I'm ready, willing and able.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #25
Fighter
Head Gruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineKeith
WooooHoooooooooooo! Take off hoser! Take off to the Great White North.

I'm ready, willing and able.

Dude; Hosers live south and east of here.
Don't ever forget that.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #26
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
Brilliant shot mate

I did the night run last summer pulling into Deadhorse right at midnight. Turned straight around and headed back to Fairbanks,

Ended up doing FB-Deadhorse-FB, 1100 miles in 26 hours, non stop, no sleep, no food.

The isolation and imagies from that run. I'll take to my grave.
You are the champion, upon whose tracks we are unworthy to wipe out on. 26 hours to Deadhorse and back.....in frickin credible.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #27
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
You are the champion, upon whose tracks we are unworthy to wipe out on. 26 hours to Deadhorse and back.....in frickin credible.
I was too tight to pay $160 for a room at the Artic Oilfield Hotel, it was too cold to camp, And I was too scared to rough it with the bears...great motivators all

I'd talked myself into not going to Prudhoe while on the Inside Passage Ferry, amongst other things my bike didn't have the fuel range, and I thought I could spend the time riding somewhere nicer rather than going somewhere just to say i'd been.
I reckoned i'd just hit the Artic Circle, snap a few pics and head back to Fairbanks, thinking there was nothing to see but tundra any further north.
I had a few chores to take care of in Fairbanks, order tyres, upload some pics etc. so didn't leave until lunch.
I got talking to the chap in the small visitors centre on the right just after you cross the Yukon. He pretty much told me i'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least go as far as the Brooks Range and do Atigun Pass.
I went across the road to fuel up and got talking to the mechanic over at the workshop there, told him the same story, got the same response. He leaned over behind the fuel pump and pulled out a 1 1/2 gallon plastic gas can, "I keep this here just for the bikes, take it with you, fill it at Coldfoot, just put it back where you found it on your way back."
So, right there and then, I'd lost my last excuse for not going all the way, it's not like I was going to run out of daylight either

Once I'd crossed The Brooks, a quick look at the GPS, figured 'bout 3 more hours to Prudhoe. The road was dry as a bone, weather was gorgeous, I now had the fuel, may never be here again, and I was having a blast and didn't want to get off the bike...what the heck, might as well go for it.

If i'd planned a little better I could've made an IBA ride out of it. I was in sightseeing mode for most of the trip, wouldn't have been too hard to chop two hours off it and make it official, but I like to stay flexible and trust in the road gods...as you can probably tell i'm not too big on planning.
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:39 PM   #28
pmdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
One of the big problems with Alaska dreamers is the scale of the maps we look at. On US maps, they tuck a large Hawaii just off the California coast, and a piddling-size Alaska next to Seattle. If you look at the scale, you suddenly realize Alaska is about the same size as Texas plus California plus Oregon.

Years ago I had some British friends show up to "see the USA". Same problem. They didn't realize that the USA is several times the size of Europe, which is much larger than GB. Most of the riders put up for the night at our place near Seattle. One guy said he wanted to get in some miles before he turned in. I asked him what destination he had in mind. He said "San Francisco". Of course, he had the entire USA on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, so it was only a finger or so from Seattle to SF. (about 1,000 miles)

Or, for a different perspective, consider that if you fly in a jet from say WA DC to Seattle, and then from Seattle to Anchorage, you'll be in the air for the better part of two days, at roughly 400 mph.

So, when you say you want to "see Alaska", that's sort of like saying "I want to see the Western half of the USA. Can I do that in two weeks (or whatever)?" You could spend two weeks between San Francisco and Los Angeles, and be rushed for time. That's why the Alaska folks are trying their best not to chuckle, and encouraging you to do the long transits in the silver tube, so you can spend your quality time in Alaska on a motorcycle. (rented, purchased, borrowed, or shipped)

If you want to see Banff, consider taking your vacation to go see Banff. Toss in Glacier National Park on the way, and a few hundred other really scenic places, and you'll squander your month in good form.

pmdave
pmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #29
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdave
Or, for a different perspective, consider that if you fly in a jet from say WA DC to Seattle, and then from Seattle to Anchorage, you'll be in the air for the better part of two days, at roughly 400 mph.
You been flying w/ the silk scarf and leather helmet types again, haven't ya! It's a long flight that will suck wildy... but they got the time down some lately. It'll take 1/2 a day to do that flight. Ballpark.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #30
Fighter
Head Gruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdave
One of the big problems with Alaska dreamers is the scale of the maps we look at. On US maps, they tuck a large Hawaii just off the California coast, and a piddling-size Alaska next to Seattle. If you look at the scale, you suddenly realize Alaska is about the same size as Texas plus California plus Oregon.

Years ago I had some British friends show up to "see the USA". Same problem. They didn't realize that the USA is several times the size of Europe, which is much larger than GB. Most of the riders put up for the night at our place near Seattle. One guy said he wanted to get in some miles before he turned in. I asked him what destination he had in mind. He said "San Francisco". Of course, he had the entire USA on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, so it was only a finger or so from Seattle to SF. (about 1,000 miles)

So, when you say you want to "see Alaska", that's sort of like saying "I want to see the Western half of the USA. Can I do that in two weeks (or whatever)?" You could spend two weeks between San Francisco and Los Angeles, and be rushed for time. That's why the Alaska folks are trying their best not to chuckle, and encouraging you to do the long transits in the silver tube, so you can spend your quality time in Alaska on a motorcycle. (rented, purchased, borrowed, or shipped)

If you want to see Banff, consider taking your vacation to go see Banff. Toss in Glacier National Park on the way, and a few hundred other really scenic places, and you'll squander your month in good form.

pmdave

Pilots these days have got the route down a little better. They must be using those smaller maps. Flight time.. Seattle to Anchortown about 3.5 hours.

Not sure about flight times to Seattle... your mileage may vary.
Personally, I hate to fly.