Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 PM   #31
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Last big air trip was Anchorage to Memephis, about 12 hours of sniveling whining crying traveling with small children hell, but I stopped my fits as soon as we got on the ground again.

A-Dubya, you are still a riding machine in my book. I've been up the Dalton to the AC once, but in a cage. with the wife and 2 exchange students. We went from Wasilla to the AC in one long damn day....the girls decided to wade in the Yukon and the water was really cold. The girl from Germany mentioned that she could no longer feel her feet. I told her that was a sign to come back to shore before she fell in and washed up out in Kotzebue or somewhere.

But like Adub says, you're here and you might not get a chance like this again. At least go to the Arctic Circle. Just remember to fill er up at the Yukon, it's the last gas fer a long dang way.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #32
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,278
I know that this is going to be a 10,000 mile trip. That said, I think Keith and I are crazy enough to do it. We have lot's of planning ahead of us though.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #33
pmdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
OK, OK, geeeeze! You guys are correct, the jet pilots use the small maps or something. But yes, I've been flying in an open cockpit biplane.

According to Orbitz, you can catch a flight from IAD to SEA, departing Washington DC at 7:30a, arriving Seattle roughly 6 hours later. Quickest plane change is about one hour. Then depart SEA for ANC at 11:10 (SEA time) arriving Anchorage at 1:49p (ANC time) Total trip time, assuming no delays: 10 hours 19 minutes (+ check-in & security screening time)

The return trip requires about 12 hours flight time plus check-in & security. Typically, departing ANC 2:27p, layover in Seattle, departing SEA 10:43 (SEA time) arriving IAD 6:31a the next morning. (Eastern time) Total trip time: 12 hours 4 min.

So, it's not really two days, if you don't count the red-eye flight eastbound. But I'd still call it "one day" each way.

My point is still that it's a long way to Anchorage, and if you intend to ride a bike you need to allow plenty of time. If time is limited, the option of flying/renting allows you more time to see Alaska, and less time droning across the prairies. For those of us living in the Northwest, we only have about 2,500 miles to Anchorage.

One other option for the time-limited: ride your bike across the country, store it in Seattle or Vancouver, then fly back and continue the trip north. Or take the whole month getting to Anchorage, then store the bike there and fly home. Go back when you have more time and ride the bike home again. If you ask around, you'll find fellow riders willing to store your bike for you.

pmdave
pmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:25 PM   #34
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdave
OK, OK, geeeeze! You guys are correct, the jet pilots use the small maps or something. But yes, I've been flying in an open cockpit biplane.

According to Orbitz, you can catch a flight from IAD to SEA, departing Washington DC at 7:30a, arriving Seattle roughly 6 hours later. Quickest plane change is about one hour. Then depart SEA for ANC at 11:10 (SEA time) arriving Anchorage at 1:49p (ANC time) Total trip time, assuming no delays: 10 hours 19 minutes (+ check-in & security screening time)

The return trip requires about 12 hours flight time plus check-in & security. Typically, departing ANC 2:27p, layover in Seattle, departing SEA 10:43 (SEA time) arriving IAD 6:31a the next morning. (Eastern time) Total trip time: 12 hours 4 min.

So, it's not really two days, if you don't count the red-eye flight eastbound. But I'd still call it "one day" each way.

My point is still that it's a long way to Anchorage, and if you intend to ride a bike you need to allow plenty of time. If time is limited, the option of flying/renting allows you more time to see Alaska, and less time droning across the prairies. For those of us living in the Northwest, we only have about 2,500 miles to Anchorage.

One other option for the time-limited: ride your bike across the country, store it in Seattle or Vancouver, then fly back and continue the trip north. Or take the whole month getting to Anchorage, then store the bike there and fly home. Go back when you have more time and ride the bike home again. If you ask around, you'll find fellow riders willing to store your bike for you.

pmdave

Well said PMD..... yudaman.
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #35
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Damn Fighter:

Sounds so nice that I may have to retire early and do the AK trip in 60days and enjoy the hell out of it!!!

Hope all is well--wanna buy some white bags!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
GMG... I understand completely. When you do make it to northern Montana/Idaho, check this out. Round trip from Sandpoint could be done in an easy day, but you might decide to keep heading north. Not sure if you had seen the following. Fighter

Living in Alaska for over 30 years and being an avid motorcyclist for half again that long certainly doesn't make me an expert but.... here is a route
that I use.
From Flathead Lake:
Glacier National Park to Babb, MT
Babb to Pincher Creek, AB: with a side jaunt into Waterton Pk
Pincher Creek over the Crows Nest to CranBrook, BC
Cranbrook to Creston, BC
Creston to Kootenay Bay; free ferry to Balfour
31 and 31A to Nakusp
23 to Galena Bay; free ferry to Shelter Bay
Shelter Bay to Revelstoke, BC
Revelstoke into Lake Louise and up to Jasper, AB

Not sure if this works but if you are anywhere near either Revelstoke on the north end or Creston, BC on the south end, DO THE ABOVE.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #36
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineKeith
Hey Mini Gun,

I live in Virginia too and am thinking of going to Alaska this year myself. I have done alot of long distance riding and I think I could get to the top of Alaska and back to VA in two weeks but prefer to take three weeks (give or take a few days). PM me if you are interested in a riding partner there.

I'm thinking I could get up and back in two weeks also if I rode by myself and didn't dilly dally.

What part of Alaska are you aiming for?
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #37
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
Damn Fighter:

Sounds so nice that I may have to retire early and do the AK trip in 60days and enjoy the hell out of it!!!

Hope all is well--wanna buy some white bags!!!

Good to hear from ya AZB. I think you should come see us. 60 days would be a nice relaxing trip.
How are you getting along with that new 12?
I threw a set of Bitubo shocks on Big Bird last year at the Nationals. Now I'll have to keep her for another 20 years. I rode a 12 last year and was very, very, impressed. Way cool motorcycle.
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #38
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge-Mini-gun
After reading R1150GSA report on his trip to Alaska got me thinking about doing the same thing, however, as I was reading his post he stated it took 29 days to do the trip, is it possible to do it under that time but not beat the hell out of your self in the process?
In 1998 I did Nova Scotia to Prince Rupert, boat to Skagway, Dawson City, F'banks, Anchorage, Homer then by road back to Nova Scotia. About 12,000 miles in 26 riding days ( plus 2 days on the ferry ).

My advice.... Go for it !

trip report is here

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #39
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE
In 1998 I did Nova Scotia to Prince Rupert, boat to Skagway, Dawson City, F'banks, Anchorage, Homer then by road back to Nova Scotia. About 12,000 miles in 26 riding days ( plus 2 days on the ferry ).

trip report is here
Just read your report, looks like you had a great trip. Only wanted to mention one thing-none of the volcanos you mentioned are dormant. They just weren't awake when you came through. Barb
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:59 AM   #40
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE

trip report is here
That's what I needed to hear! Nice report.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #41
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Fly and rent, its cheaper

If your short on time, fly to Anchorage and rent a bike. Its cheaper in the long run. We paid 500 dollars round trip from Cincinnati last spring. If you ride, the trip is going flog your bike with at least 10,000 additional miles. You'll wear out at least two sets of tires and a chain and sprockets, and several oil changes. You will have the cost of food and camping/lodging along the way. But mostly, your going to burn a lot of valuable vacation time, which is better spent riding the good stuff in Alaska, rather than crossing the endless plains on the slab to get there. If you're in a hurry, you're not going to have a chance to spend the time in Alaska that you really need. You probably won't take that side trip to McCarthy, which was the highlight of our trip.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #42
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
A guy I work with rides his old BMW from Fairbanks down to Duluth and back every summer, and claims to do it in 3 1/2 days each way. That is a lot of pavement pounding, but it does put it in perspective. He just got back from Duluth last week, driving a new pickup truck, and despite having some fuel problems (bad diesel in Whitehorse), he made that run in 4 days.
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #43
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Truth or Fiction

Anchorage to Seattle has long been a driving discussion. I have known people who claim to have done it in 50 hours. I have heard the campfire story of a guy on a motorcycle who was way under that.

So......Who has the record? Lets hear about it.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #44
keith in alaska
Valley Gruver

Oddometer: 457
Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider
Anchorage to Seattle has long been a driving discussion. I have known people who claim to have done it in 50 hours. I have heard the campfire story of a guy on a motorcycle who was way under that.

So......Who has the record? Lets hear about it.
Mr. Eagan (Gary?) did Prudhoe Bay to Key West in 100 hours on a Duc. He probably could have done PB to Seattle before lunch

www.RentAlaska.com

keith in alaska screwed with this post 01-27-2005 at 10:35 AM
keith in alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:33 AM   #45
keith in alaska
Valley Gruver

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
If your short on time, fly to Anchorage and rent a bike. Its cheaper in the long run. We paid 500 dollars round trip from Cincinnati last spring. If you ride, the trip is going flog your bike with at least 10,000 additional miles. You'll wear out at least two sets of tires and a chain and sprockets, and several oil changes. You will have the cost of food and camping/lodging along the way. But mostly, your going to burn a lot of valuable vacation time, which is better spent riding the good stuff in Alaska, rather than crossing the endless plains on the slab to get there. If you're in a hurry, you're not going to have a chance to spend the time in Alaska that you really need. You probably won't take that side trip to McCarthy, which was the highlight of our trip.
Racer, I like the way you think
It's all about making the most of precious vacation time. If you have several weeks to spare......ride the wheels off your bike. If you only have a few weeks, renting makes sense and helps me pay the bills win/win
Doing the Alcan in 4 days is a mind numbing march, IMHO. Not my idea of a vacation

www.RentAlaska.com
keith in alaska is offline   Reply With Quote