User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
midlman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
1991 R100 GS/PD dyno run

We had a local dyno day here in Oly, WA and along with my Duc, I figured I would run my PD just to get a baseline. Ended up with 49hp and 49 ft-lbs at the wheel. Each run it was getting better..probably clearing up since it really hadn't been run since early December. Air/fuel was slightly rich in the upper rpms..but it was also really cold..so I'm going to leave the jetting alone for now.

It's totally stock (even has air inj still there) and has around 86XXX miles on her. I was pretty happy since stock crank hp is around 65... Now to resist doing any upgrades for more power as she runs really great!...

93 Kawasaki ZX-11D
midlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Did they leave the Dynojet extra 20% in the calculations?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Weaverman
Damaged goods

Oddometer: 58
You think that's running too fat on top? I think it looks like a pretty good power enrichment curve for a large-bore air cooled twin.

My '94 owner's manual claims 56.1 lb/ft & 58 bhp, so even with all the mileage, etc., this test indicates only a 15% loss (including the driveline losses) from new or advertised! Pretty cool.

Are you gonna just tease us or show us the Duc's numbers??
Weaverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
midlman OP
Adventurer

Best the Duc did (04 998 Matrix edition) was 115 and 69 ft-lbs but I was in the process of creating a dual map (one for each cylinder). The vertical cylinder was perfectly dialed in but for some reason the A/F on the front cylinder wouldn't cooperate...way lean at low rpm and then rich at upper. No amount of playing with the PCIII would help, so I've got some underlying issue with that cylinder. Need to look at the plugs/wires to see why we were having a random miss too.

On the PD, I figured it should be around 13ish to 13.5..but don't know...It doesn't belch black and the plugs are nice and tan so I'll leave it alone...
93 Kawasaki ZX-11D
Old 02-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
thanks for posting that up. Manufacturer horsepower listings (and weight) are always lies. Stagehand put in a Siebenrock kit. Maybe he'll do a Dyno and we can get some honest comparisons.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,199
That's a good reading. Cold ambient, just like cold engine temp, makes them run lean.

So I am guessing your bike still had the 135 stock mains in it? That is about the same A/F ratio my bike had with a 135 mains in my 38mm Dell's with airbox mods, port mods, sport cam, and Staintune Sport mufflers. You might crack 50hp with 130's. 130's got me another almost 1.5hp and an A/F line right around that target line on that chart. It won't rev past about 5000rpm with 125's in it. It just flat out quits running like you hit the kill switch.

Usually the higher and higher readings are mostly a combination of the bike getting up to most efficient temp which is a LOT hotter than many think AND the dyno itself getting up to its most efficient temp. It's real common. Remember that that phenomenon and others can be used to manipulate dyno results in this or that direction. Comparing dyno runs is a tricky business and very difficult to manage in the best of conditions.

The most efficient mix will almost always leave your plugs looking too lean but it isn't! IMO, you piston top is more accurate. White plugs, no problem. White piston top, problems. At least with pump gas. Race gas leaves everything white well before optimum mix. White just means you are getting close with race gas. It's the lead in it.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 09:46 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Weaverman
Damaged goods

That extra fuel keeps her tickin' on for miles and miles. A little additional fuel goes a long way towards cooling down combustion chamber components.

Since the bike has off-road capabilities, it's reasonable to expect the cooling fins will become dirty (clogged?) and pistons/rings, heads & valves, spark plugs and oil temperatures will rise. There's no temp sensor in this baby to pull spark or add fuel when she starts heating up, no cooling fans to kick on; this calibration has to err on the side of safety.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,199
I disagree. I think the extra fuel builds up carbon and gets her pinging when it gets hot out on the trail in the mud or whatever. 13.25 is extra fuel, just less extra than 12.5 but it makes more power on less fuel and keeps the engine cleaner. I went from 135's to 130's in my bike about 50,000 miles ago. It likes it. Just for instance, last summer I was ripping up I-5 blasting in and out of traffic between about 80 and squirting up to about 105 or so and rolling into and out of the throttle pretty hard in 108 degree heat and never heard it ping a lick. That's with the 130's in it.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 10:29 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,052
I'm covinced they need to run rich for road use. My last dyno run showed mine running slightly rich just off tickover and midrange. I dropped a jet size on the needle jet and it needed the choke on for several miles and even then it felt like it was straining.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Weaverman
Damaged goods

Negatory, Supershaft. Extra fuel is how you avoid detonation.

Of course, carbon buildup can be the source of detonation. Most "carbon" (or more accurately, combustion deposits) you find in your ring grooves, on your piston crown, and on your head/valves are from the components of the oil, not the fuel.

And remember, "Old's Cool" factory jetting will always be conservative to protect the engine from timing scatter, low-grade fuel, hot running, etc. No dispute that more power can be safely made by leaner jetting if, for example, you ride where the air is thin, never load it in the dirt or two-up, etc.

When dyno tuning a carbureted engine for everyday use (motorcycle or otherwise), tuners often find the A/F ratio that yields LBT conditions (Lean Best Torque), then add ~ 5% fuel for safety. With an injected engine, the game is a little different because sensors can tell you a lot more about the actual operating conditions. I've seen conditions with A/F ratios as low as 8.5:1 at certain operating conditions on production cars to extend the life of pistons, converters, etc.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,541
Strapping in...

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
midlman OP
Adventurer

I don't have much experience playing with carbureted engines...but if I plug the air injection system on the PD..I suspect the air/fuel will go even richer? right?..

So maybe go down to the 130 and then plug the air inj system would still be safe and give a bit more power?
93 Kawasaki ZX-11D
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Weaverman
Damaged goods

The air injection system on your bike is a "post burn" sytem. Doesn't have any impact on what's going on in the combustion chamber, only on how bad your emissions are! It's an effort to clean up unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust by introducing a little oxygen to the port.

Interesting what you're saying here though. I was assuming the system was removed. Since the system is there and working (?), what this means is that you're actually running richer than indicated by the Lambda sensor (A/F ratio sensor). The additional air injected into the gas stream after the port would be recognized by the sensor. Changed your air filter lately?

Weaverman screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 08:45 AM
Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
midlman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaverman View Post
The air injection system on your bike is a "post burn" sytem. Doesn't have any impact on what's going on in the combustion chamber, only on how bad your emissions are! It's an effort to clean up unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust by introducing a little oxygen to the port.

Interesting what you're saying here though. I was assuming the system was removed. Since the system is there and working (?), what this means is that you're actually running richer than indicated by the Lambda sensor (A/F ratio sensor). The additional air injected into the gas stream after the port would be recognized by the sensor. Changed your air filter lately?

I was just typing that up..when you added to your post.. LOL..I'll take a look at the air filter and see how bad it is...but yes...I think I can comfortably go to the 130 ....
93 Kawasaki ZX-11D
Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Weaverman
Damaged goods

Midlman - where are you located geographically?