User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
onthemain OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Talking Front tire F 800 GS

I am going to Death Valley in spring next year and have TKC 80's on my F 800 GS. They work really well for the riding we do around Alberta (gravel roads and some off road)

I am thinking of trying the Pirelli Scorpion Pro All Terrain/Enduro Front Tire for the trip only .

I am wondering if anyone has a lot of time on one of these on the F 800? I am a little hesitant because they look like they would work really well on my SXF 250

Before I get "stick with the TKC" the guy we are going with (guide) is not knowen for staying on well traveled trails
onthemain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Death Valley is a National Park, not a place where you can go cut a trail.

Most of the roads consist of a lot of gravel mixed with sand, some harder to ride than others. The TKC 80 work fine. I think you will find that roads like Mengle pass, Steel pass or Lipponcot challenging enough on a big bike and tires will be the least of your concern. If not go ride Echo canyon.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
onthemain OP
Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks for the info ! I doubt he would be blazing new trail in a park ,but he is the kind of guy that given the choice between two roads he will choose the one he thinks you and your bike are most likely to fail on .

So mostly gravel I will be fine on the 80s
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

To some extent the lack of gas is going to dictate your routes. Fuel at Furnace creek, Regular gas at Stove pipe. No gas at the north end of the park. Outside of the park, gas at Beatty, Shoshone and Panamint springs.

Most riders try to put together loops and some are pretty long especially going north.

Lots of in and out canyons, but always keep your fuel needs in mind.

most of the roads are a mixture of sand and gravel from one extreme to the other with some rocks thrown in. There are lots of videos on You tube.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 09:24 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
onthemain OP
Adventurer

sounds like you

Sounds like you know the area really well.

What I am worried about with the 80's is stuff like this.I would have no issues riding this (not near this steep) if I have the correct tire
I know what works well on a dirt bike but dont have near enough time on the f 800 to decide what would be a proper tire

Copied for another post
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Probably not a suitable subject for a Beast post. If you post in Western Regionals, you will get all the advice you need. There are 2 big DV events per year and lots of individual rides.

That's Goler Wash/steps, the west entry point to Mengle pass. If you can ride it, the tire won't make much difference. There is some sand at the Eastern end that might favor a Pirelli.

I happen to think the TKC 80 is a good all around tire and adequate for most of the roads, especially on a heavy bike.

What is unique about Death Valley is the road conditions change every year. 4 years ago, that pic was a gravel road. Even I could ride it.

Ask again before you go.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 12:52 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
onthemain OP
Adventurer

Value

Do you run the 80s?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Other than a Michelin T63 experiment, that is all I have run. Yes the fronts cup and new they get the weave. I flip them and double my mileage.

My first time in DV on the stock bike, caused me to spend about $2,000 in suspension, air temp module, G2 throttle tube and a Scott stabilizer.

If the bike is stock, tires won't be the issue.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
onthemain OP
Adventurer

okay tires

okay my tires are good.
Front forks getting 1600 dollar upgrade in the next few weeks
why did you do the air temp mod?
and Throttle tube
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
The problem with the TKC is they wear out really fast. I just mounted a pair of Heidenau scouts. AKA K 60. I have friends who say they get around 10,000 miles on the rear, more in front. That is easily twice as many miles as the TKC. I must say the Heidis were almost as good in deep sand and loose rock as the TKC's Compared to either TKC or K 60, the Pirelli Scorpion is a street tire. That is what I had on before the K 60. think about getting the Heidis. Dave
Old 09-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

The first trip was actually next door in Saline Valley, though the roads cross into both.

The problem was, the bike was too tall geared for some of the terrain and the suspension too poor to go any faster.

I got into a tank slapper on the road out of the Racetrack, that a DL650 had no issues with. I dinged the front rim a couple of times on Lippincott and Jail canyon, primarily because of the inability to control the throttle.

I found hills that were too steep for 2nd, but 1st gear aggravated the throttle issue. There are grades you just cannot feather the clutch all the way, if you want to keep one.

I have a Bitubo insert, Ohlins front spring, Hyperpro rear and a Scott's Stabilizer for the past 2 years. Night and day difference.

I determined the throttle issue is really a fueling issue. The bike idles at very lean air fuel ratios. Open the throttle and it quickly richens up which provides more power. It is when you are cycling between extra lean and a richer mixture you get this abrupt throttle. I could not control it with the bike bucking around because of the suspensions inability to deal with rocks.

Some people use a 15 tooth sprocket. I have one but bought the G2 throttle tube. It requires more throttle movement initially to apply the same amount throttle. The accelerator module is a resister that changes the sensor reading from the air temp sensor and tricks the ecu into providing a richer map. A richer mixture provides more power and in this case earlier in the rpm range between the two, I do not use the 15 tooth any longer.

I always say suspension first and this brought it home. Good suspension allows the bike to navigate terrain that would other wise beat you up. It may save your rims too.

There are less impacts through the handle bars, making it easier to modulate the throttle in low rpm situations.

The module only works in open mode (when you twist the throttle) but a richer low rpm mixture makes more power and actually allows the bike to lug at lower rpm.

The stabilizer is a bonus. Never had one and did not think I needed one. It works in all terrain. There are some sand/silt beds, lots of water washouts and the bike tracks right through it.

Death Valley is unique. You can't appreciate how huge and remote it is. It gets little rain, but when it does, there is not much to keep that water from completely changing the terrain. For giggles, google the great DV flood in 2004.

There is enough track to fit any bike. Chloride Cliffs, Titus Canyon, The Race Track, Skidoo, Hunter Mountain, if the weather permits, are normally good rides on a big bike with intermediate skills. Steele pass is doable, if your sand skills are good, but you will need extra gas. I do not know about Mengle pass anymore for me. That picture used to be the easy approach up it, with Mengle being the more difficult. It appeared to be the opposite a year ago. Who knows when you go.

I actually prefer my KLX680 down there.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 07:12 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
I loved the Scorpion Pro on my enduros. I have no reason to think it would do any worse on the BMW. Having to run it at higher pressures to reduce rim damage may reduce it's effectiveness however. It will have total shit handling characteristics on the street under a bike as heavy as the BMW. It was poor on a 250 lb bike.
Yah, looking back, that's probably the best mixed terrain tire I ever tried...
Scorpion Rally is pretty good too and stands up well under the GS. Knobs are a bit larger though.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
onthemain OP
Adventurer

mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
The first trip was actually next door in Saline Valley, though the roads cross into both.

The problem was, the bike was too tall geared for some of the terrain and the suspension too poor to go any faster.

I got into a tank slapper on the road out of the Racetrack, that a DL650 had no issues with. I dinged the front rim a couple of times on Lippincott and Jail canyon, primarily because of the inability to control the throttle.

I found hills that were too steep for 2nd, but 1st gear aggravated the throttle issue. There are grades you just cannot feather the clutch all the way, if you want to keep one.

I have a Bitubo insert, Ohlins front spring, Hyperpro rear and a Scott's Stabilizer for the past 2 years. Night and day difference.

I determined the throttle issue is really a fueling issue. The bike idles at very lean air fuel ratios. Open the throttle and it quickly richens up which provides more power. It is when you are cycling between extra lean and a richer mixture you get this abrupt throttle. I could not control it with the bike bucking around because of the suspensions inability to deal with rocks.

Some people use a 15 tooth sprocket. I have one but bought the G2 throttle tube. It requires more throttle movement initially to apply the same amount throttle. The accelerator module is a resister that changes the sensor reading from the air temp sensor and tricks the ecu into providing a richer map. A richer mixture provides more power and in this case earlier in the rpm range between the two, I do not use the 15 tooth any longer.

I always say suspension first and this brought it home. Good suspension allows the bike to navigate terrain that would other wise beat you up. It may save your rims too.

There are less impacts through the handle bars, making it easier to modulate the throttle in low rpm situations.

The module only works in open mode (when you twist the throttle) but a richer low rpm mixture makes more power and actually allows the bike to lug at lower rpm.

The stabilizer is a bonus. Never had one and did not think I needed one. It works in all terrain. There are some sand/silt beds, lots of water washouts and the bike tracks right through it.

Death Valley is unique. You can't appreciate how huge and remote it is. It gets little rain, but when it does, there is not much to keep that water from completely changing the terrain. For giggles, google the great DV flood in 2004.

There is enough track to fit any bike. Chloride Cliffs, Titus Canyon, The Race Track, Skidoo, Hunter Mountain, if the weather permits, are normally good rides on a big bike with intermediate skills. Steele pass is doable, if your sand skills are good, but you will need extra gas. I do not know about Mengle pass anymore for me. That picture used to be the easy approach up it, with Mengle being the more difficult. It appeared to be the opposite a year ago. Who knows when you go.

I actually prefer my KLX680 down there.

Did you do the Air temp mod yourself or buy a kit from someone?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
onthemain OP
Adventurer

Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I loved the Scorpion Pro on my enduros. I have no reason to think it would do any worse on the BMW. Having to run it at higher pressures to reduce rim damage may reduce it's effectiveness however. It will have total shit handling characteristics on the street under a bike as heavy as the BMW. It was poor on a 250 lb bike.
Yah, looking back, that's probably the best mixed terrain tire I ever tried...
Scorpion Rally is pretty good too and stands up well under the GS. Knobs are a bit larger though.

have you run the Scorpion Rally on an F 800?

I like the 80s alot but I know the would suck in any kind of sand we might hit
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
onthemain OP
Adventurer

Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
The problem with the TKC is they wear out really fast. I just mounted a pair of Heidenau scouts. AKA K 60. I have friends who say they get around 10,000 miles on the rear, more in front. That is easily twice as many miles as the TKC. I must say the Heidis were almost as good in deep sand and loose rock as the TKC's Compared to either TKC or K 60, the Pirelli Scorpion is a street tire. That is what I had on before the K 60. think about getting the Heidis. Dave

I was going to try these for my next set of day to day use.These are the only other tires my dealer stocks