User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
2xrboys OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
ESA on a F800GS

I am considering a new 800gs and would appreciate some opinions regarding the value of esa suspension on the bike. I understand it only controls dampening (not preload) and only on the rear. My plan to ride the bike about 50/50 on/off road. I generally like the idea of keeping it simple without extra stuff that can break but am interested if others have used the esa and find it to be a valuable option.
2xrboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer: 370
Got it on my 700GS, never changed once set up even when offroading.

Plus you have only 3 settings for dampening instead of a screw with a lot of clicks.

Don't waste your money on it, buy a better shock instead
GeeK_InsiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
tomman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I've got it on my F800 GS Adventure. I use mine for everything from sporty tarmac riding to fairly gnarly, rutted & rocky off-road stuff. I keep mine in "Sport" mode 80%-90% of the time. It is SUPER easy to change rear shock damping when I want, but I don't do it that often. The main adjustment I make is adding preload when I'm taking my wife with me, and I still have to do that manually.

I definitely don't consider it a no-brainer or a "must have," but is nice to have occasionally.

I may have to second the vote to save the money & get a higher-quality rear shock if you're willing to go through the trouble to install it (or get it installed) & manually adjust it when you want.

I bought my F800GSA slightly used and it already had the option, so I'm happy with it.
tomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
I don't think I would spend the money on it second time around...
Old 04-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Vandal 62
Mouth Breather

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
Got it on my 700GS, never changed once set up even when offroading.

Plus you have only 3 settings for dampening instead of a screw with a lot of clicks.

Don't waste your money on it, buy a better shock instead
+1 I had it but have recently replace with a Touratech expedition. The difference is night and day.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #6
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Does the ESA work in a similar fashion to the 1200GSA?

When I tested that out, you had settings for solo, and pillion, and there was sport, like a touring mode (from memory) and off road mode.

The off road mode changed the ride height by a fair bit too.

I didn't get to play with it enough, but it seemed quite functional. I liked the ride height change in off road mode. So you don't have to stretch to reach the ground all the time. I suspect that's achieved just by cranking up the preload though.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #7
Vandal 62
Mouth Breather

Oddometer: 677
I personally never found any significant difference while using the esa. My 800 had, normal, comfort and sport.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 AM   #8
Beairmo
Keeping it real

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xrboys View Post
I am considering a new 800gs and would appreciate some opinions regarding the value of esa suspension on the bike. I understand it only controls dampening (not preload) and only on the rear. My plan to ride the bike about 50/50 on/off road. I generally like the idea of keeping it simple without extra stuff that can break but am interested if others have used the esa and find it to be a valuable option.
I have it on my K1600GTL and it really works well. But it adjusts both the front and rear shock. The comfort mode really smooths out the cracks in the road.

But for my F800GS, don't go out of your way to get it. Especially since you are planning to ride 50/50. If you read this forum much you will be shopping for a new shock within a year of getting the bike. I upgraded the entire suspension to Touratech.

The stability control is another feature that you can do without. Again, my K1600GTL has it and its awesome. But for a 50/50 bike you will have it off as much as on.

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Does the ESA work in a similar fashion to the 1200GSA?
No, on F bikes you have 3 settings for dampening, that's it. Preload still 100% manual.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,452
Not on the current edition.

But if they take that S1000RR dynamic suspension and retro fit it to 9" of travel and drop that onto the F8GS...well, that just might change my thinking.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
Vampir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
For long straight road trips in Nevada and Arizona I've run it on Comfy and it is nice because it is plush. On winding mountain roads you can feel a difference when you switch to Sport mode. That said I agree with NDTransplant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
I don't think I would spend the money on it second time around...
Vampir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
villho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xrboys View Post
I am considering a new 800gs and would appreciate some opinions regarding the value of esa suspension on the bike.
I have it in my '13 GSA. As others have said, save the money for a better shock. With the factory shock, the differences between comfort-normal-sport were minimal.

I do have now Wilbers' ESA compatible rear shock tuned for my weight and riding style, so I'm happy with the performance, but I'd rather still take Öhlins and have no ESA on my bike, as I touch the ESA button only in rare cases (98 % of my ride in 'normal').
villho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

So why didn't you buy a non ESA aftermarket shock?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
villho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
So why didn't you buy a non ESA aftermarket shock?
Wilbers WESA shock was still a whole lot cheaper. Öhlins or TT cost way over 1000 eur, where I got the Wilbers for a bit over 500 eur (it was cheaper, as the guy who put the shock together re-used eg. the preload adjuster from the stock shock).

Let's put it this way: if my bike would have behaved in the first place like it does now with Wilbers, I probably wouldn't have done anything. However, if I now would be buying a bike knowing how little the ESA does on these F800GSes, I would forget the whole ESA, save the money and buy Öhlins/TT right away.

This applies, if one really plans to ride offroad. Otherwise all this will be just a waste of money, because the stock suspension will do just fine - all the Starbucks parking lots that I've seen, have been quite smooth.
villho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Ooooh, you're so naughty...

Reminds me of the ONE and ONLY time I went to a BMW owners club meeting. All the pristine shiny unmarked off road bikes parked out the front of the dealership, and the crowd of horrified onlookers gathered around my bike lamenting that I'd ruined it's investment value by taking it off road and modifying it.

No one asking questions about off road trips or places you could go.

Just horrified that someone would do it and ruin the bike.

Unfortunately these are the people that BMW seem to listen to when they design user friendly features into their bikes. Which may explain why some of the user friendly features are so utterly fucking useless to someone who really wants to use the bikes.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote