User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
hcgrissom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Install issues with Wunderlich Ergo Iron-Man

I just bought a 2014 F800GS and am in the process of accessorizing it. I purchased the Wunderlich Ergo Iron-Man screen but am having issues with the installation.

Anyone out there have a 2013-2014 F800GS with this screen installed? If so, can you snap some pics of the brackets that mount from the stock brace going over the top of the gauges to the top side of body just behind the beak attachment on each side?

It's as if the parts included/shipped were not made for this bike, even though the p/n and part description match. The installation instructions leave a lot to be desired too, but that's another story...

Thanks for the help!
-Craig
hcgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
dyolfknip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgrissom View Post
I just bought a 2014 F800GS and am in the process of accessorizing it. I purchased the Wunderlich Ergo Iron-Man screen but am having issues with the installation.

Anyone out there have a 2013-2014 F800GS with this screen installed? If so, can you snap some pics of the brackets that mount from the stock brace going over the top of the gauges to the top side of body just behind the beak attachment on each side?

It's as if the parts included/shipped were not made for this bike, even though the p/n and part description match. The installation instructions leave a lot to be desired too, but that's another story...

Thanks for the help!
-Craig
You sure you have the one for after 2012? This one: http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wun...ron-man-3.html

I looked at that but ended up going with the TT touring and adding the BMW accesory bar instead. Did you try calling Wunderlich? I know here in a Germany their customer service is top notch (they installed parts in the parking lot for me, for free), kind of top notch.
dyolfknip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
hcgrissom OP
Adventurer

Dyolfknip,

Thanks for the info. I ordered from the U.S. Website; the part number is the same as in your link. On the US website it says it's good for all years of 800GS.

[URL="http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/F800GS/41470111.html"]

I have not yet tried calling customer service - it was past the hours posted on their website Friday after work when i started/attempted the install. The US site says they are not open on Mondays either.

It's good to know the Touratech shield works with the added brace - I may try that or the Cee Bailey if I can't get this to work with Wunderlich.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
hcgrissom OP
Adventurer

Been traveling for work, so haven't had time to call Wunderlich in California (3 hour time difference doesn't help). However, I did send them an email tonight with an itemized list of issues with pictures.

I'm still convinced the parts as shipped will not work on a 2014 F800GS. Whether or not I received the correct parts is another story...

I didn't really like the mounting scheme on the sides anyway. Basically I asked them for a return authorization number. If get RAN from them, I will get either the Cee Bailey or Touratech with the upper BMW touring screen brace. This brace will be used for GPS mount.

hcgrissom screwed with this post 09-11-2014 at 08:46 PM
Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
hcgrissom OP
Adventurer

Well, I received an email back from Wunderlich today. And... I was right! The mounting kit will not work on 2013-2014 F800GS. They are coming out with a new adaptation kit that uses the same screen, but I don't trust the Sept 23 date he gave me. Plus, I do not know how it mounts exactly (and I wasn't too fond with some of the mounting from the '08-12 kit that they shipped me.

So, I am getting a return shipping label and going with the tinted Touratech screen instead.

I do think its odd that no one else has complained about the install of this screen... The F800GS model was changed 2 years ago!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
dyolfknip
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgrissom View Post
Well, I received an email back from Wunderlich today. And... I was right! The mounting kit will not work on 2013-2014 F800GS. They are coming out with a new adaptation kit that uses the same screen, but I don't trust the Sept 23 date he gave me. Plus, I do not know how it mounts exactly (and I wasn't too fond with some of the mounting from the '08-12 kit that they shipped me.

So, I am getting a return shipping label and going with the tinted Touratech screen instead.

I do think its odd that no one else has complained about the install of this screen... The F800GS model was changed 2 years ago!
That's what I have. TT touring screen with BMW accessory mount bar. Then I attached a SW Motech Mount, advertised for the 800 GSA only, to it. I needed to use some electrical tape to "thicken" the BMW bar to fit the Motech mount I wanted to use. (I moved GPS from OEM location of on risers) on a side note, and I haven't contacted them about it, but if was unable to get the Motech mount tight enough to hold the GPS upright. It isn't moving in the bar but the left and right swivels of it. It was easily foxed with a zip tie, but it really should hold up a Navigator IV on it's own.

Pm me if you have any questions though.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
pimvddoel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Is your issue resolved or still need some pics? I can take them tomorrow if it helps you...

Cheers,
Pim
pimvddoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,490
Laugh interesting shield

Old 09-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
dyolfknip
Adventurer

Here is mine with the TT Touring, Wunderlich visor and BMW accessory mount and SW Motech GPS mount:

The accessory mount really stopped the vibration of the shield. And moving the GPS from the bars makes it A LOT nicer to read.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
pimvddoel
Adventurer

Install issues with Wunderlich Ergo Iron-Man

Hi, what GPS mount did you install on the bar?

Cheers,
Pim

pimvddoel screwed with this post 09-21-2014 at 12:30 PM Reason: Type-o
Old 09-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
dyolfknip
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimvddoel View Post
Hi, what GPS mount did you install on the bar?

Cheers,
Pim

If you mean me, it's the SW Motech in conjunction with the Navigator 4 cradle. The SW mount says it is for the 800GSA only but I just wrapped a bit of electrical tape around my bar and it worked ok.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
pimvddoel
Adventurer

Thumb off-topic Cradle

Thank you! Looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyolfknip View Post
If you mean me, it's the SW Motech in conjunction with the Navigator 4 cradle. The SW mount says it is for the 800GSA only but I just wrapped a bit of electrical tape around my bar and it worked ok.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Happy with the Ironman Screen??

Looks like you guys have had these awhile.

Any comments on them?

Have you used them in the dirt and if so....how do they stand up?

Thanx
Clay D