HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,503
Laugh

$20
here ya go....
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70133848

1 MA max leakage in off state.
just for the record...this picture shows an AC unit model "No workie " (i replaced with the DC model)

BTW... the factory GPS plug can be seen here...just to the left of the relay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Roughly what do those solid-state relays cost?

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 02:44 PM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #47
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,313
Thanks HTC!
I'd much rather have a solid state relay than the "old school" version................
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #48
BimmerSI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hi guys!
Sorry for bugging, but I have a scenario in my head of iPhone wiring and would like to discuss it with you.

OEM power connector next to the key in not good because it snaps out at bumps, so I would like to make permanent connection.

So I am thinking:

1st. I would install BMW Canbs GPS cable:
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...0413585-p-1378

2nd. On that I would wire this Dual USB connector:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-C...item4d25c0e4ee

From there I would use Apple Ligntning cable to power my navigation on iPhone.

Now, I hear that there could be complications with 12V to 5V conversion with not closing the circuit by canbus.

Does anyone have experience with that?? I would detach iphone after the ride, but dual usb connector would stay wired..

Thanx!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #49
Dirt wolf
I'm your huckleberry

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSI View Post
Hi guys!
Sorry for bugging, but I have a scenario in my head of iPhone wiring and would like to discuss it with you.

OEM power connector next to the key in not good because it snaps out at bumps, so I would like to make permanent connection.

So I am thinking:

Now, I hear that there could be complications with 12V to 5V conversion with not closing the circuit by canbus.

Does anyone have experience with that?? I would detach iphone after the ride, but dual usb connector would stay wired..

Thanx!
Going to give it a try. I'll post up pics when I'm done

DRZ 400
F800GS
Dirt wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #50
sarathmenon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Hi guys!

So I am thinking:

Thanx!
I have the OEM bmw cable, and a chinese USB socket, so roughly the same setup that you are thinking of. Everything is plug and play, and several others have the same setup without any issues. Unless you do a bad job of wiring, you should be fine. If the charging thingy has an LED, you can safely monitor for when it is shutting down after you turn off the bike.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #51
MFGamesta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Hi guys!

So I am thinking:

Thanx!
I went through something similar to you when I purchased my F 800 GSA. You seem like you know what you're doing so I'll give you the short version of what I did.
1. I got the yellow plug you got.
2. I used the switched wire on that plug to act as a trigger wire for a Fuzeblock. There are many fuse blocks on the market and all work well.
3. I hooked the Fuzeblock to the battery. This allows me to ether use switched power OR straight power from the battery using a fuse as a jumper in the Fuzeblock.
4. I ran one of the ports on the Fuzeblock to a waterproof dual USB port and mounted it down below the speedo.
5. I went to radio shack and got a couple of coiled micro usb cords and I plug phones and shit up to it.

I'm not running anything else at the moment but if I go on a trip that requires heated gear or I decide to use a dedicated GPS with a mount, I'll hook that up to the Fuzeblock too. Be warned that the Fuzeblock is only rated to 30 amps total. There are nicer ones out there too.

Switched power has saved me a couple of times as I'm pretty much a forgetful idiot.
MFGamesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 AM   #52
BimmerSI
Adventurer

Laugh

Hi,
so I istalled the set up. Except I used this kind of 12v to 5v converter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Waterp...item3aa4676f3c

Everything works fine and CAN cuts off power after 1 minute when ignition switch turns off.

The only problem I see is that in my case Navigon app on iPhone 6 uses more power than my converter can produce. It can be seen as battery percentage slowny drops. It is not such a big deal because it would take like 12 hour long drive with navigation running to completly drain the battery but don't use it if your phone is not fully charged!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #53
sarathmenon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi,
so I istalled the set up. Except I used this kind of 12v to 5v converter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Waterp...item3aa4676f3c

Everything works fine and CAN cuts off power after 1 minute when ignition switch turns off.

The only problem I see is that in my case Navigon app on iPhone 6 uses more power than my converter can produce. It can be seen as battery percentage slowny drops. It is not such a big deal because it would take like 12 hour long drive with navigation running to completly drain the battery but don't use it if your phone is not fully charged!
If you have a multimeter, read the amperage out of that socket. China sellers are very optimistic about the power draw. 2A is plenty of power to keep a phone charged at max drain. I have a feeling you are getting 1A or less at the phone. I don't use Navigon, but I don't see a drain while using Sygic or Google Maps or Apple Maps on my iphone 5.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:33 AM   #54
BimmerSI
Adventurer

Hi,
I have been testing different situations and have figured out that it may be a problem on a sunny day with display brightness at 100% with navigation running. Tried with another 12V to 5V converter which did not work and now I am waiting for a new one. Will post with new findings.

Best,
BimmerSI
Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #55
sarathmenon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi,
I have been testing different situations and have figured out that it may be a problem on a sunny day with display brightness at 100% with navigation running. Tried with another 12V to 5V converter which did not work and now I am waiting for a new one. Will post with new findings.

Best,
BimmerSI
Do you have a multimeter? If so, measure how much voltage and current you get across the USB out. The cheapest ones that directly hook onto USB are 3 dollars on flea bay and are incredibly useful and convenient. If you have a power drain greater than the charging power, it helps to trace the source. Some android phones (HTC?) do a negotiation on the USB cable and defaults to the slowest amperage if the charger on the other end doesn't support their special tricks. It is also possible that heat is causing your DC to DC convertor to supply less power. Simply swapping out one unit after the other won't help you see where the problem is. It may go away with the latest 5V convertor you buy, only to surface again on a road trip when you least want it.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #56
BimmerSI
Adventurer

Thank you for your thoughts. I will buy a USB multimeter to measure the output. As you said I should find the cause.

Thanx and I will report more findings.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #57
Dirt wolf
I'm your huckleberry

[IMG][/IMG]

DRZ 400
F800GS
Old 04-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #58
gatorwesty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
this is what I use for my garmin montana
Attached Images

gatorwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #59
Dirt wolf
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorwesty View Post
this is what I use for my garmin montana

Sweet

DRZ 400
F800GS
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #60
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Got the zumo 590

Wired it direct to battery with harness that came with kit.

Zero issues.