Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
G-Tex OP
Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer: 299
Going Out West Where the Wind Blows Tall: Fast Roads, Big Bend and Lithium Springs

Last week, a few of us rode out to West Texas to see what we could get into...we figured out that we could get into some serious weirdness and a good time.

The Riders:

Left to Right: Zach, Grant, R-Dubya, Clinton

The Route Down from Dallas to Terlingua:

Zach, on the 2010 F800GS (Z-Tex), and I, on the 2004 R1150GSA (G-Tex), have done some riding together in the past, with one major trip Looping the Southeastern USA...this trip is Zach's first foray into the desert...

Clinton is Zach's brother and recently bought my 2002 F650 DAKAR. He is relatively new to on-road riding, but has a motocross background. We've been to Arkansas together and his off-road confidence far exceeded his on-road skills. Before this trip, we all knew that it was going to be interesting to see how he would handle the mileage and terrain awaiting us all along the way. This trip is Clinton's first foray into the desert...

R-Dubya, on the 1996 R1100GS, is an old acquaintance who recently got reengaged with motorcycling. RW had gone out on a couple of day rides with the group, but had never done a trip of this distance or scope...This trip is RW's first foray into the desert...

If you're noticing a trend, good...I was the only one who had ridden Big Bend/Chihuahua before. This trip was set up to prove the merits of planning something further, more complicated, and grander for the future...

More to come on prep-work, riding, and hippies...
Beemer Off Road Dallas, Chartered MOA #351, RA #338
www.advdallas.com
2004 R1150GSATT41L<>1981 R80G/S
Change of Plans '09: Cabo Edition

G-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
istandalone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Can't wait, good to get the presidents together. . . . Oh wrong dubya!

Well Grant, Clinton and ol "rough and ready" can chat about being commander and chief.
istandalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Subscribe! Keep it coming!

Dave
BluesCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
G-Tex OP
Sneaky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
Can't wait, good to get the presidents together. . . . Oh wrong dubya!

Well Grant, Clinton and ol "rough and ready" can chat about being commander and chief.

Wow...funny insight on the names...
www.advdallas.com

Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
tfitch03
Turkey

Oddometer: 148
I wish I could have gone with you guys.
tfitch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
G-Tex OP
Sneaky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfitch03 View Post
I wish I could have gone with you guys.
Oh Fitchster...T-Tex? You were there in spirit and there will be many other opportunities...

Now, on with the show...
www.advdallas.com

Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
B-Tex
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Tex View Post
Wow...funny insight on the names...
Don't forget Zachary...he was a President too.
B-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,774

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
istandalone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Tex View Post
Don't forget Zachary...he was a President too.

He's "rough and ready" (nickname earned during war.)
istandalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
G-Tex OP
Sneaky Bastard

For those who care...sorry for the absence...the intervening Dallas to Mardi Gras AMTRAK train trip adventure was quite an interlude and a great success...except that our train hit a Big Rig outside of Beaumont, Texas...no big deal.

NEWS ARTICLE ABOUT TRAIN SMASH

---------------------------------------

Back to the goodness.

About 6 weeks before the trip out to Big Bend, we started having "bike nights" around town.

At one of the bike nights, we gave RW's R1100GS a pretty thorough go-through to see what needed attention.

The bike felt stable and solid, the final drive drain was clean, and nobody in 2011 has seen a cleaner '96 R1100GS than RW's.

However, there were a couple issues. So, RW set about planning/ordering/fixing these myriad issues...

1) The final drive could have been clean because everything had drained out of it...that would need attention...FD Oil Change was a snap.

2) The last oil change was...by the last owner when RW bought the bike years ago...Oil Change was a snap.

3) The starter was...fidgety...subsequently replaced with a Motorrad Electric unit which looks much beefier. I have one on the R1150GS and it has been fault-free to this point...

A little rust in there...

4) The rubber boot at the pivot point of the front suspension was torn...

5) The old tires were not up for an 1800 mile trip...Shinko 705s were ordered up and installed!

RW was ready!

-------------------------
Meanwhile, Clinton needed to install various parts that I ordered for the F650Dakar when he purchased it from me. We did a little "Bike Day" over at La Casa de Madera Compound.

After changing the oil, spilling most of it on the garage floor, and halfway cleaning it up, we got down to restoring the DAKAR to the "factory" chain tensions that were "lost" when I was in Cabo San Lucas...

Here's a pic of the "replacement" chain tensioners that were "Fabricated" for me in La Paz, BCS...STORY AT POST 10

They SHOULD look like this...

Anyway, with the guts and integrity of the DAKAR restored, we set about to improve its dignity with a full set of BMW OEM torx bolts to replace the ones that litter the highways between Dallas,Copper Canyon and Cabo San Lucas.

Clinton was READY!!!

------------------------

The Big Pig was ready for some maintenance as well, so I ordered a set of Shinko 705's for the R1150GS and did a full fluid change on transmission, engine, and final drive.

Grant was READY!!!

------------------------

Zach's bike is brand new...it's only been on one big trip...a great one, at that (CLICKY), but it didn't need any maintenance...or did it?

Let's just assume that....ZACH WAS READY!!!!

Ride Report Maintenance portion finished...roll credits.

...........MORE TO COME!
www.advdallas.com

Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
G-Tex OP
Sneaky Bastard

...Now the Fun Stuff...

The gentlemen got together at my house on Wednesday afternoon to depart for Big Bend. Temperatures were in the 60s and rain was threatening...actually, the skies were spitting on us intermittently.

Clinton rolled up first...itching for a ride...ready to run! Except for iPod...he got my backup for the trip.

Zach rolled in about 15 minutes later...

Finally, R-Dub came to the party and it was time to leave.

Our intentions were to make it as far as possible that evening; Brady being the goal in the back of MY mind, but wheels pointed towards the southwest on US 67 was "The Plan"...

Getting out of Dallas was a pain in the ass. I35 HOV lane to I20West...about midway through Arlington, the pace of the traffic picked up and we were making some time; until Zach's gas light came on.

Not-so-quick stop outside of Aledo remedied Zach's . It was the beginning of the trip and "Fill-'n-Haul" rules were not in effect yet...we were back underway in about 20 minutes.

Sun was going down by the time we crossed the Brazos; we made time to the US-281 exit and we shot down towards Stephenville. I say, "WE", but Zach was rolling about 1/2 mile behind us...certain "papers" were not in order, or some such was offered as an explanation for why he shot past the Stephenville cut-off where we were waiting...

Ducks collected, we ran fast on US-67...got to Comanche in time for a meal at Star Beau's...it was only 8:30. We were doing well.

Quick parlay with all members of the BRAINTRUST over dinner and Dr. Peppers... Brady became THE TARGET for the night!

All lined up!

Time to Roll!

Back on US67, Brownwood blazed by...

Brady was on the horizon...

Just as we were pulling into town...2 deer crossed in front of me...apparently, 3-4 more passed in front of Zach...we had made it to Brady without any "incursions..." with...
With luck on our side, it was time to take a break for the eve!

Holiday Inn Express looked great! We were in the hotel and enjoying the cold beers, procured in Brownwood, before midnight...

Stories and and ...eventually, it was time to sleep...

Executive Summary after Day 1:

220 Miles
6 Slow Hours
1 Meal
No Hit Deer
24 Beers

Clinton: riding well!
Zach: a bit slow for a change.
R-Dub: Riding well, taking crazy night pics at speed...definitely going for Trip MVP.

More to come...Big Bend, Amazing Single-Armed MC Riding, Hot Springs, and Setting Up "The Stage"...tomorrow.
www.advdallas.com

Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Keep it coming fellow Texans!
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #13
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Going Out West Where the Wind Blows Tall: Fast Roads, Big Bend and Lithium Springs

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,309
When I saw the sunset picture , my mind was thinking, Time to get off the road, prime deer time " . Then when I saw ya'll were riding at night on two lane roads > "Asking for it " came to my mine. Glad ya'll did not get to eat raw deer. Only saw them.
Looks to be a great trip.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
G-Tex OP
Sneaky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
When I saw the sunset picture , my mind was thinking, Time to get off the road, prime deer time " . Then when I saw ya'll were riding at night on two lane roads > "Asking for it " came to my mine. Glad ya'll did not get to eat raw deer. Only saw them.
Looks to be a great trip.
Oh yes...we were asking for it that night...and the next...and the next...and...

As anyone who has done these "kind" of rides knows, WHEN you get off schedule, you inevitably start running fast and blind at night.

The Western Reaches of the Texas Hill Country are not a place to screw with deer...The good thing is, 281 from 20 to Stephenville is deer prone, but short. 67 between Stephenville and Brownwood is 4 lane and mostly protected....however, Brownwood to Brady is dicey and we got lucky!

...more to come!
www.advdallas.com