ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,254
Rella's house burned to the ground this morning

I got a call from Jeaneace, Rella's (of Rella's Roadside Cafe in Hacker Valley, WV) daughter saying that Rella's house burned to the ground this morning.

She's okay for she had just gone up to the diner when it started.

I'll fill ya'll in later this morning.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 450
Truly sorry to hear this news. Keep us posted.
Grape_Ape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
Truly sorry to hear this news. Keep us posted.
Will do, and I have an idea that may help her out.

Will post later. I've been welding since 5:00 on a home project and I am pooped.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,857
Time for "Rella-Vous II"?

I was planning to go out for a ride this afternoon - now I know the destination. I'll try to get more info and photos if possible. I'll see what she needs and get a mailing address.

Oh, yeah, I'll need to stop at the bank to get some cash for the contribution kitty I'm sure is going to materialize.

Thanks for letting us know, Guy. Our prayers are with Rella.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-03-2011 at 02:28 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Time for "Rella-Vous II"?

I was planning to go out for a ride this afternoon - now I know the destination. I'll try to get more info and photos if possible. I'll see what she needs and get a mailing address.

Oh, yeah, I'll need to stop at the bank to get some cash for the contribution kitty I'm sure is going to materialize.

Thanks for letting us know, Guy. Our prayers are with Rella.
Prayers are definately being sent. Jeaneace also shared with me that Rella's other daughter, the one she mentioned when we were there that had cancer/Lukemia, passed away in November.

While I know it would be appreciated, I'm not sure money would do her any good at this point. Presently she's staying with Jeaneace. I'm thinking of a more permanent solution, but it would take the effort of a lot of people... and even then it may not work.

I was thinking of having as many as possible apply for help from the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition folks..... and that's where your, or anyone's, pictures could come in handy. They require it when applying:

http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-make...-edition/apply

Let's see if we can develop a game plan for this.

Guy
Old 03-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,857
UPDATE: I just talked to Rella (Thursday 7:15am) and she is fine. She will be living with Jeaneace until she gets a small trailer to replace hers. She had a little bit of insurance - enough to make a down payment on a small trailer. She lost everything - clothes, furniture, family keepsakes, and even her dog, but she is thankful (and so are we) that she is safe.

She said the local church and community have come forth to bring clothes and supplies, so she is in good hands for now.

Like Guy said, let's look at something to help long-term. She mentioned that she may need help getting her new trailer set up. I told her I thought there would be a lot of ADV riders willing to help out, but she may need to feed them. She laughed and said that would be a fair deal.

She will be out of town today (Thursday) getting the estate settled from her daughter, so I will not be going there today.
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
UPDATE: I just talked to Rella (Thursday 7:15am) and she is fine. She will be living with Jeaneace until she gets a small trailer to replace hers. She had a little bit of insurance - enough to make a down payment on a small trailer. She lost everything - clothes, furniture, family keepsakes, and even her dog, but she is thankful (and so are we) that she is safe.

She said the local church and community have come forth to bring clothes and supplies, so she is in good hands for now.

Like Guy said, let's look at something to help long-term. She mentioned that she may need help getting her new trailer set up. I told her I thought there would be a lot of ADV riders willing to help out, but she may need to feed them. She laughed and said that would be a fair deal.

She will be out of town today (Thursday) getting the estate settled from her daughter, so I will not be going there today.
Mike - glad you have already talked to her. Not knowing when you were planning on heading over, I was going to tell you that she wasn't going to be there this afternoon.

I was pretty much going to pass along what you just did, but I was just too pooped (way) earlier this morning from playing steelworker.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Sorry to here about Rella. As soon as there's a plan let us all know. More than willing to help out however I can.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Wow, that's terrible.

What a great family, and you're a part of it the second you walk in the door.

In for whatever someone comes up with.

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,914
Oh NO! That is so sad. I appreciate you sharing and I hope the "community" here can do whatever possible to ease her pain. Glad to hear she is okay too.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Oh NO! That is so sad. I appreciate you sharing and I hope the "community" here can do whatever possible to ease her pain. Glad to hear she is okay too.
Mike, please make sure your dad is aware of this. I'm sure he'd want to know.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
I've done the Habitat and other non-profit build thing several times and a lot can be done in a weekend or two. Maybe Guy or someone who talks to her can get a sense of what she needs? If the trailer is good, skirting/insulation, deck, ramp, landscaping, painting, etc. would be nice 'amenities' to offer.

Consider me 'in' for any such projects. I can also provide drawings if larger things are planned (or permits required).

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post
I've done the Habitat and other non-profit build thing several times and a lot can be done in a weekend or two. Maybe Guy or someone who talks to her can get a sense of what she needs? If the trailer is good, skirting/insulation, deck, ramp, landscaping, painting, etc. would be nice 'amenities' to offer.

Consider me 'in' for any such projects. I can also provide drawings if larger things are planned (or permits required).
I talked to her briefly this morning, but didn't get too much more than Mike has already provided. Someone had come in to talk to her and I didn't want to interrupt. One of us will be talking with her again to try and find out exactly what's going to be needed.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
HBN's Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Guy,
Thanks for energizing the ADV community to help Rella. So sad to hear of her misfortune. Also, so sad to hear her other daughter died. Wish we had known that.
Now its time for the ADV bunch to rally for her. I am "in" for whatever develops.
Bill
HBN's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
...Rella's house burned to the ground this morning...
That's horrible!
God be with her.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote