Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #106
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
been watching your thread with interest.

Maybe i missed it, but why can't you simply unbolt the cylinders and use some careful "wood-cushioned" hits with a mallet to either pull the cylinders from the pistons or get the crank to move or both?

I admire your patience. I couldn't wait this long.

+1 on the heatgun advice unless you're very experienced with a propane torch. leave the pistons, focus on the cylinders.

The rod bearings are a roller type and live in a somewhat fragile appearing alloy cage. I'm a little nervous to get too "Western" with it.

I unbolted the cylinders last weekend while trying to rotate the crank and did detect a tiny bit of movement on the right side. Only a millimeter or so. Care and patience are the order of the day for me on this one. Destroying anything salvageable equates to big bucks. Besides I have three other POS to keep me occupied if I feel the need to "fix" anything.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #107
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Shoot,, just fit an electric motor, some batteries and ReName it DunZapp.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #108
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
The rod bearings are a roller type and live in a somewhat fragile appearing alloy cage. I'm a little nervous to get too "Western" with it.

I unbolted the cylinders last weekend while trying to rotate the crank and did detect a tiny bit of movement on the right side. Only a millimeter or so. Care and patience are the order of the day for me on this one. Destroying anything salvageable equates to big bucks. Besides I have three other POS to keep me occupied if I feel the need to "fix" anything.
Mihgt rig up a puller of sorts. One that has arms on the unbolted cylinder, and a pusher that pushes down on the piston. to PULL the cylinder off the piston keeping all load off the crank and associated fragile bearings.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #109
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,772
I think I remember you were soaking in Marvil Mystery Oil? I love the stuff but don't think it's that good a rust buster. Lot's of homemade formulas or the best of the best is Kroil Oil. Find Kroil on the internet or nearby at gun stores. It's big with gun nuts.
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #110
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Someone recently told me about a rusty nut busting mixture of 1/2 acetone and 1/2 auto transmission fluid. Worth a try.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #111
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think I remember you were soaking in Marvil Mystery Oil? I love the stuff but don't think it's that good a rust buster. Lot's of homemade formulas or the best of the best is Kroil Oil. Find Kroil on the internet or nearby at gun stores. It's big with gun nuts.
I''ve had good luck with the Marvel oil in the past but it looks like I'll need to go to a more aggressive meduim.....I'll try to hunt down some Kroil Oil.

ABC# 1992
Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #112
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Thumb

Definitely Kroil, or even some Cut Thru. The PB does disolve rust.
Acetone and ATF? Never tried it.

I'm guessing that you are able to fill each cylinder full enough to submerge the rings fully.
Try the solvent route and see how it goes.

Read about the fill and burn method also, but that will require removing the engine to get the cylinders vertical.
If you get that far you might just sink the engine in a barrel diesel fuel for a while.

My KS601 ?

Well the carbs are cleaned and reassembled, need some fiber washers, orings. Little stuff..
Got to get more info about the floats and the needles that pass thru them to shut off the fuel.
Dont think they should turn in place - may need to do a little soldering.

Cylinders were blasted (outside only) and have a first coat of paint for protection.
Bores got a quick 3 stone 180 hone just to cut the surface glaze and rust.

Pistons are off the rods and I've been decoking them. Measured the bore and ring gaps, don't have any specs on proper gap or clearance specs just yet.
75mm with .005 clearance and .020 gap so far... that has to be a little large on the gap using .004 to .005 per inch of bore as a standard.

Peeking at the bigends and those kazillion (well, 30 each side) needle bearings , things seem real smooth and clean .
I don't think I can tell for certain unless I drop the caps and I'm not comfortable yet with the approach.
All those needles and the cages must stay in order during disassembly, just dumping them out thru the sump is not recomended. I dunno ...

Don in Nipomo
D.Bachtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #113
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
Try Acetone/ATF first, cheap to make and works just as good/better than kroil. Ive used both!

Been enjoying this thread so far, Airhead threads are ok, but this guy- more oddball- moar betta

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #114
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickv4 View Post
Try Acetone/ATF first, cheap to make and works just as good/better than kroil. Ive used both!

Been enjoying this thread so far, Airhead threads are ok, but this guy- more oddball- moar betta
What ratios of each?....50-50?

ABC# 1992
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #115
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
I hear it is big with Granola Freaks too, and ToFoo nuts as well...
Old 09-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #116
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

why not just get a can of PB Blaster and shoot a bunch in each cylender? That stuff works better than anythig at loosing stuck metal parts.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #117
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
why not just get a can of PB Blaster and shoot a bunch in each cylender? That stuff works better than anythig at loosing stuck metal parts.
Never seen or found "PB Blaster"...what is it? A spray penetrating oil? I have the clylinders sealed up and am filling to the brim through the spark plug holes.

ABC# 1992
Old 09-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #118
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

PB Blaster, it's the newest mass marketed rust buster. Works OK or just better than OK but the real deal is Kroil. Every time this subject comes up you will get 15 different expert opinions and no two of them will agree. I heard it was ATF and diesel fuel oil now it's acetone. Any one of these mixtures or products will probably work. I like Kroil. I was the first to suggest you use something other than Marval Mystery Oil and so now I insist all the Band Wagon jumpers get off my Band Wagon. It was my idea to use something other than Marval so the rest of them can take a hike.

But probably use what ever you can find. The acetone should be available at a local hardware store.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #119
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
PB Blaster, it's the newest mass marketed rust buster. Works OK or just better than OK but the real deal is Kroil. Every time this subject comes up you will get 15 different expert opinions and no two of them will agree. I heard it was ATF and diesel fuel oil now it's acetone. Any one of these mixtures or products will probably work. I like Kroil. I was the first to suggest you use something other than Marval Mystery Oil and so now I insist all the Band Wagon jumpers get off my Band Wagon. It was my idea to use something other than Marval so the rest of them can take a hike.

But probably use what ever you can find. The acetone should be available at a local hardware store.

My past experience is limited to one moderately rusted engine. The Zundapp appears to be a little more stuck....visibly the BMW engine I previously freed up looked at lot worse than this Zundapp engine.
I happened to have a couple gallons of the Marvel oil (found 6 gallons in an old 64 VW I bought a few years ago....along with a bunch of unspent 50 Cal and 20mm ammo. ) so went with what I had on hand.
I'll be looking for some Kroil on my next parts search expedition. Lots of gun shops out here in the wild west.

ABC# 1992
Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #120
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

There is the problem of price with Kroil. In small cans it cost almost $10. Not sure how much it would cost by the gallon but I'm sure it ain't cheap. You might use a little bit of the Kroil mixed with the acetone/ATF. I only do stuff that uses small amounts therefore it would be the first thing I think of.