Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,335
I have done most all the upgrades to my 89 R100GS, looking back the only one that was 100% necessary was the circlip, 20,000 miles and the output bearing was shot, same on my friends RT 13,000 miles and the output bearing was real bad and i mean real bad.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
well, it started as a tinker refresh and ended up where it is....not sure how that happened. I guess I had the same fears and replaced/upgraded everything for good measure. BTW, where in the maritimes?
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,473
Don't worry. Be happy.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,045
I think I can recognise your feeling, but only when I get a new old bike.

I worry what can go wrong, because I don't know its full history and condition, and since I've never wrenched on it, that makes me worry too. But there is just nothing to do about it, well you could take it all apart, but why fix something that is working.

It will come with time, learn as you go, have roadside help on it, and you're never lost. This forum is quite good for airhead owners too, you'll have all the support in the world.
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
round the block don OP
soreass

Oddometer: 129
Thanks for all the theraputic counselling- I need it for sure.

As mentioned, I forgot the speedometer, which is jumping around, and also the various splines that need regular attention.

The overall message is sinking in though; ride it, enjoy it, fix it when it breaks, and don't waste any precious time and energy worrying about it.

I'm going to give that a try.

And for Adam, I'm in Moncton NB, not too far north of you. Coming up this way anytime soon?
round the block don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,283
For some very odd reason, I worry a lot less about my Airheads breaking on me than anything else I ever owned. Maybe because the tiny things i have had to do so far have all been actually pleasureable to do as these bikes are designed and built by enthusiasts or seemingly so. It is not unlike my BMW cars, which are old, 80s models, and wonderful to work on WHEN they need it which is very infrequently.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
OldAndBusted
Needs a little work...

Oddometer: 375
i tell you what, man, you need to sell that newfangled gspd and get an OLDER bike. that thing is like star trek technology compared to my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Man, if you think all of us in oldschool had never thought about ditching old for new, you're crazy.
i don't speak for all, but my first bike was a /2 and my favorite bike still is that same /2. i worked at a bike shop for about 6 months, got to test ride a couple dozen bikes at least, ranging all over from old to new, and none of them tempted me to convert. it won't go fast obviously, but otherwise it's hard to beat. i've got other bikes, but whenever i take a long trip, this is the one i pick.

but back on topic, i say if you like the gspd, keep it. unless you have reason to suspect it was abused, just keep changing your oil and riding. those possible issues are just possible, not inevitable. it ain't british, after all
OldAndBusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
I know Moncton well. I love the tidal bore and the Old Irish Triangle Alehouse. I spent a week there last spring while my wife was having fun with LazikMD. I come through a couple times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreass View Post
Thanks for all the theraputic counselling- I need it for sure.

As mentioned, I forgot the speedometer, which is jumping around, and also the various splines that need regular attention.

The overall message is sinking in though; ride it, enjoy it, fix it when it breaks, and don't waste any precious time and energy worrying about it.

I'm going to give that a try.

And for Adam, I'm in Moncton NB, not too far north of you. Coming up this way anytime soon?
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #24
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
The second most fun you can have with an airhead is working on it; riding being the most, obviously. Each Winter, my PD would go into the shop and I'd do the periodic maintenance and one "project". Over the span of a couple of years, everything I was worried about was taken care of. It was fun and filled in for riding during those cold, snowy months.

I'd say keep it. Remember, each airhead is special; they may be able to build another one, but they can't build yours again.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,184
My bike just got a crazy vibration and I'm hearing a tink-tink-tink noise from the left head. Oh Noz! Should I chase down some super expensive guru machine shop!? No, I'm going to swap it out for a known-good head that I traded an exhaust pipe for. It'll likely take a whole hour to do and cost me 2 beers. 75,000 miles on these heads.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #26
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,350
If the maintenance on an airhead, any airhead is up to date just ride it worry free.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #27
round the block don OP
soreass

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
My bike just got a crazy vibration and I'm hearing a tink-tink-tink noise from the left head. Oh Noz! Should I chase down some super expensive guru machine shop!? No, I'm going to swap it out for a known-good head that I traded an exhaust pipe for. It'll likely take a whole hour to do and cost me 2 beers. 75,000 miles on these heads.
Just read the RR of your trip to NS. Great story! I love your approach; being young and dumb is a good thing!
round the block don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #28
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
In all honest, don't worry 'bout it. Mine had 98,000 miles and no maintenance records when I bought it. Supposedly it went from the SE USA to Purdoe Bay at some point. My charging system gave me lots of warning it was dying, so I replaced it with an Enduralast system. At 106,000 miles, the heads were loud, the cam chain rattled and I had no idea about the tranny.I had the heads rebuild, the tranny rebuilt and I spec'ed out the piston and bores. I pulled it down and started measuring stuff and with the exception of the normal stuff you find worn at 100,000 miles, it was all fine. It runs great and I enjoy riding it for days on end. My point is these bikes will give you lots of warning stuff is going wrong. They're easy to fix and for some of us, that's 1/2 the fun. They also tend to stay fixed, which is a nice plus. If those traits don't turn you on, find something that does.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,184
thanks! Doing the ride reports were fun. 40 years from now they'll be way better than just having pictures.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #30
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreass View Post
I have a '91 GSPD with 76000 kms on it that works just fine. Looks great too.

Here's the issue in my mind. These bikes have a whole lot of potental issues: drive shafts, rear main seals, transmission problems [usually at around 80000 kms from what I read], missing circlips, unreliable charging systems, front brakes that could use upgrading, and I'm sure more that I'm leaving out.

So what to do? Ignore all the potential trouble and keep riding what is a great working bike that I love or just part ways with it before something bad happens? BTW, I've had 20+ bikes over the years, including 10+ BMW's and I've never had any issues that I would consider major.
I can only speak for my own '92 GSPD, Soreass, and it's been a pretty great motorcycle.

Driveshaft: The original failed in my bike at 253k kms.

Transmission: The original became noise-some (though still serviceable) at 265k kms.

Charging System: Used charging system components are getting pretty cheap with the popularity of Enduralast's 450 watt charging system upgrade. Go to ibmwr.org and buy a used rotor and diode board for pizza money. You'd have one handy if your original fails. Good insurance for less than $100.

Brake Upgrade: Lots of possibilities. Is there a bike scrap yard near you? I used a four piston Brembo caliper off my wrecked 1150GS (I never really liked that bike). Fitted like a charm after filing 0.125" off the mounting boss: About a 5 minute job.

Lots of easy solutions to most of the problems you *might* encounter. Problem with the internet is you mostly just hear the problems people have, not the successes. And like Rob Farmer mentioned earlier, it's mostly Americans that seem to have trouble with their GS transmissions. I honestly don't know why that is?

My old PD is one of the sweetest all 'round bikes I've owned. It fits me like an old shoe and does lots of things really well. Spoils me with armchair comfort and has really fine road manners.

F800GS is the first bike to come along in a while that could make me consider replacing it. But to do that I'd need to part with a cubic yard of cash and it still wouldn't be as comfortable and smooth as the old PD. (fwiw, nearly bought a KTM 950 Adv a few years ago, but one test ride put an end to that thought. Too crude a motorcycle for someone used to sound engineering, imho).

Blah blah blah....

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote