User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
AdventureDave OP
MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer: 686
KTM LC4 rear tail light

My 625 sxc tail light/ brake light has gone into melt down. I have done lots of looking and apart from replacing the bulb with an LED type bulb does anybody know of anything new on the market that replaces the taillight assembly (with something that wont melt down). The later model smc lights can be replaced with a complete led light assembly (this requires a rear subframe and guard replacement for the sxc).

I haven't found anything for the lc4/sxc/640 adventure/pre'04 smc taillight.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

David
AdventureDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,023
I've never seen anything in the way of a suitable aftermarket replacement. This is the first I've read about heat-realted problems with the tail light on these bikes. Heat can usually be traced to dirty or corroded connections. Because the tail light is subject to dirt and water I usually coat my bulbs with a little dielectric grease when I install them.

I've had poor luck with replacement LED bulbs falling apart from what I assume is a combination of vibration and hard off road use.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
my problem is the wiring/light socket. mine flickers on and off like a christmas light. i try and work on it, it seems ok, then its back again after the next ride. i agree, this is one of the worst set-ups imaginable but its one i think we are stuck with...

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
AdventureDave OP
MMMMM Bundy!

You wont have to search too far to see that it is a known problem. The only fix I've seen so far is to replace the back guard with the 05/06 smc guard or an aftermarket one that includes an LED light- UFO, Baja designs, etc. I have seen a few that have cut the original guard down and then just stuck an aftermarket LED light under. Oh well, i guess its time to buy another overpriced replacement KTM part.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

David
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
I've had the flickering problem as well. I think with vibration the two metal contact tabs lose their "spring". I have found that bending them out (up) by quite a bit helps them keep contact with the bulb for longer.

I have not had any problem melting bulbs, but with my SEM stator I have thought about trying an LED replacement to avoid dimming at idle. That would also decrease heat in the housing. Anybody tried these?

http://www.trailtech.net/040-LED-1157.html
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Had issues with the contact in mine and with Led lights falling to pieces.

Resolved it by pulling two led lights apart and setting the boards and bottoms of leds in araldite case with fly leads and terminals. These lights have been sikaflexed in place and is hasnt given me any grief since.

Katumo just put up the style of led to modify too.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
AdventureDave OP
MMMMM Bundy!

I did find these in my searching

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

I dont know anything about them but they do sell one that can be hard wired in rather than a bulb replacement. i think this would solve half the problem. It would require some work to drill the wires through and silicone it onto the original bulb holder. I have ordered a genuine replacement ($100 ) and will try and play with the old one once I have swapped it out.

Cheers

David
Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I put one of these nifty LEDs in after burning out 5 tail lights out in 5 rides:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...F115x-xLX3.htm

Its been trouble free for 5k miles.
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
BEFORE YOU ALTER YOUR BIKES !!!
The problem with the 640 tail lights is USUALLY a tiny TINY flaw that most people don't see...

Next time your light seems to flicker or is "Burnt out" - Pull the bulb then LOOK VERY CLOSELY at the two small metal/soldered nubs that make the electrical connection to the socket....

The normal vibration of the bike tends to rub those down creating a tiny 'cup' shape on the connection (bulb side) that leaves a microscopic gap inhibiting the electrical current.

For me, I carry about 2-3 extra spare tail light bulbs 'just in case' one burns out (hate to be invisible when I ride at night).
At $ 1.50 a bulb, for me is cheap so: I change bulb = clean contact = works fine again.

Took me a year to figure that out on my bike. The one thing I noticed as well is if you don't put the tail light assembly back in TIGHT (easy to put it in 'just out of place' but functions) - it wiggles more as it's a touch loose and the bulb wears out the 'nubs' faster.

**not a guarantee that this is the only possible cause - but fixes ALOT of tail light problems (and other lighting) on offroad single cyclinder bikes.

Have a look. (***One of MANY worn down bulbs off mt 2007 KTM 640 Adventure)

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
AdventureDave OP
MMMMM Bundy!

Thanks for the tip, but mine had actually melted the holder. It was really difficult to even remove the globe, I had to use pliers. Externally the 1157 adapter looked fine but as soon as the globe was removed it was all shiny plastic inside. I dont know what caused it but from what I have read this and other similar problems are not uncommon.

Cheers

David
Old 03-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave View Post
Thanks for the tip, but mine had actually melted the holder. It was really difficult to even remove the globe, I had to use pliers. Externally the 1157 adapter looked fine but as soon as the globe was removed it was all shiny plastic inside. I dont know what caused it but from what I have read this and other similar problems are not uncommon.

Cheers

David

EEP ... Sorry to hear that, I really wish it was as simple as a worn down bulb.

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
Sounds to me like the positive and negative contacts shorted together. One problem on a lot of dirt bike electrical systems is the lack of fuses. My LC4 only has 1 (on the fan) -- later models with batteries probably have more. Anyway, on my bike a simple short means the wires arc and melt until either the short burns out (in your case) or the entire harness melts.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that your bulb housing melted and opened the short before your whole bike went up in flames.
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,453
use dielectric grease lots of it.. I have seen a ebay ad for a led cluster claiming to fit (actual lens etc) Pricey .. http://cgi.ebay.com/KTM-LC4-640-LC4-...item2561564b2d
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 82
SXC stop/tail-light

My SXC is now suffering the dodgy tail/stop light syndrome.

Have found the contacts in the globe holder get bent away from the globe contacts due to the vibration. Have considered siliconing the globe in the holder in the attempt to get more than one ride per globe!

Looking at the LED type option from www.Bikemonkey.com.au (LC4 Integrated stop/tail and turn signal LED clear lens light)

Has anyone had experience with this product?

JAK
Bluetonguejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #15
AdventureDave OP
MMMMM Bundy!

There are a few of them on the market, they are for the 05/06 625smc. i think they are the same as a few other models..duke and 990 moto's.

To fit them on the Adventure/SXC/ pre '04 SMC you have to either remove the light assembly and trim the guard right back and attach under to the tail frame somehow

or replace the subframe/cut and shut the subframe and buy new rear guard so you can attach the new light -like this guy

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490652

Cheers

David