Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #31
AdventureDave OP
MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer: 668
I finally picked up my new rear light from KTM today $90. I think I will order an LED light and try and wire it into the old one somehow.

I will follow this with interest though cause if someone comes up with a simple replacement option I will consider trying.

Cheers

David
AdventureDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #32
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 498
Ya know, I'm gonna work on mine tonight. I think I'm gonna go down to the parts store and buy a replacement trailer socket, then see about grafting it to the OEM socket.

My tabs need to be pulled up every so often and my bulbs do get worn from vibs. I found that by adding solder and making it thicker helps. I started doing this to 1157 replacements. Now I have an LED that I bought from AutoZone in a pack of 2 for $25 or so. It has worked well for a year now but I'm sure the contacts are in need of "adjustment" again as it just stopped working.

As far a the whole bulb base melting I'd say there is a more serious issue going on there.

My only sure fire way of having a tail light is my pelican case top box with an LED trailer light added to the back and wired to the brake light wiring.

I know it does not look the best on my Sumo, but it is invaluable on my daily 60+ commute and that light definitely gets me seen.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #33
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I bought the $20 SuperBrightLED setup for my LC4 tail and it lasted all of 300 miles or so before the vibes killed it. I actually got 1 halogen bulb to last longer than it on a ride last weekend!

I sell Whelen LED lighting for Police/Fire use - Im going to order up a few TIR3 Red LED heads and play with some mounting for a tail setup. I WANT TO BE SEEN!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
How about just telling us which one fits the best and what mods needed to make it work?

I edited the post a bit..

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=28
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #35
Bo_9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Wrk2surf- Can you tell us if either of these are the correct part?

Also, I think there was a subframe change early on in the LC4's they changed the cross piece from raised to straight or vice versa. Is yours straight across?
Bo_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #36
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,217
The first link is a UFO and is the orange one I have in the photo in my earlier post this fits the newer style sub frame.. and is the correct part .. drilled and ready and as I said also comes in a option with a tail light under fender.. if you look at the page it has two on the bottom on with and one without tail light.. http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/pr...0-smc-640-lc4/

mine is the newer raised cross bar... but have heard of people using spacers for the older flat style to accomodate the newer fender.

dont think the acerbis (second link) will fit but have yet to try..

I have also pondered going to the older version flat rear fender and side plates but that looses an inch or two in rear travel and I have rubbed tires and cracked fenders on the newer style so would have to do a little suspension work and weld a new flat bar on..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 03-16-2011 at 01:32 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #37
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 454
I have used both an old and new subframe, and the evidence I see of bottoming out is near the seat post, not the rear cross-over thing. I'm not sure the extra clearance back there is important. However I have not busted through a rear fender before so I'm pretty sure you ride a lot harder than I do.
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #38
Bo_9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thanks!

Just what I needed!
Bo_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #39
BRYANDENNY71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I have a '99 & did a rear end conversion. I have the newer subframe but have yet to put it on. All I did was make some spacers to sit between the earlier model lower subframe rear cross brace & the newer taller rear fender & match drilled the holes in the fender thru the subframe cross brace.

All in all was really easy. Everything else fit fine.

I used the UFO s/m style rear fender & I fitted the taillight/license plate holder from my '06 450 exc. Tried the cheapo mini led blinkers.....rattled one set apart & melted the other set after putting on the P/C pipe. So I got some of the SICASS flush mount led blinkers. They are awesome. Then I found the later model rack since the rack that was on the bike wont fit the newer taller rear fender.

On the exc taillight I had the trim the plastic arms that normally bolt to the exc subframe, drilled a couple holes to match the lc4 subframe cross brace & a 3rd hole in the middle of the fender & thru the tallight/license plate holder............& VIOLA!!

Before:

After:

After After:

BRYANDENNY71 screwed with this post 03-17-2011 at 08:38 AM
BRYANDENNY71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #40
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
This is the exact UFO fender I put on my 625sxc. I had picked it up from Denis Kirk but it seams they no longer sell that part. Great find on a vendor selling it!! If I still had my lc4 I'd buy 2 just for the shelf.
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #41
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Just so you know, its illegal to have vertical mounted plates in CA as of Jan 1.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #42
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post
Just so you know, its illegal to have vertical mounted plates in CA as of Jan 1.

because they got nothing better to do with their time huh?

i'm so glad i don't live there anymore. back in the early 90's it was still kinda fun. i used to ride just off the 101 in thousand oaks. i dare you to try that now....

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #43
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Oddometer: 577
just replaced my rear bulb. The light works fine, but it doesn't brighten when applying the brake.

Also, no matter how much I fiddle with it, I can't get it really secure back up in the light. it is pretty loose. it won't come out, but I'm betting it will burn out right away again.
MNCherryinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #44
Papa Smurf 0369
Papa Smurf 0369 USMC

Oddometer: 35
What years are having this issue???

I owned a 2003, never had an issue until a wicked crash. red lens fell out, but light still worked. I bought a new tail light from KTM World. I parted out the 03 and currently ride an 04. Of course I put the new tail light on that bike along with my cut subframe and seat. I have never had light issues. I blew out my rear shock and bottomed out alot and still no issues. Better suspension now on the 2004 SXC. Light works fine, does not flicker. Have not blown any bulbs. Everything is tight. The bulb is tight in socket, socket tight in housing, housing firmly mounted in fender. I have purchased 3 of these bikes (I part out bikes), one did have a loose socket where it did rattle around some.
www.madmikesmotorcycles.com
Papa Smurf 0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #45
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
I went through 4 tail lights,, I had the red lense pop off,, several times,, no damage to the bulb, reflector or fender.. Once it was from riding a washboard type trail.. a mile or so(it seamed like several) down a set of train tracks between the rails..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote