Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #46
BRYANDENNY71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post
Just so you know, its illegal to have vertical mounted plates in CA as of Jan 1.
Find me the law that explicitly states that.

I've had this discussion with some people on another forum. All it says is that is has to be clearly legible. That obviously means not upside down or anything like that, but vertical is really up to the discretion of the officer. Whether they feel that a sideways license plate is easily readable or not. So yes, if a cop thinks its hard to read, then its illegal & always has been. I've gotten pulled over in my truck for having a ball on my bumper in front of the license plate. Same thing.

But either way it doesn't matter to me. I ride smart on the street & if that's their excuse to pull me over then fine.

It would just be a fix-it ticket anyways.

& at the very least, its not mounted like the rice rocket bikes tucked way up in the fender well.
BRYANDENNY71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #47
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYANDENNY71 View Post

I've had this discussion with some people on another forum. All it says is that is has to be clearly legible. That obviously means not upside down or anything like that, but vertical is really up to the discretion of the officer. Whether they feel that a sideways license plate is easily readable or not. So yes, if a cop thinks its hard to read, then its illegal & always has been. I've gotten pulled over in my truck for having a ball on my bumper in front of the license plate. Same thing.

But either way it doesn't matter to me. I ride smart on the street & if that's their excuse to pull me over then fine.

& at the very least, its not mounted like the rice rocket bikes tucked way up in the fender well.
In Pa vehicle codes it does state that the plate must be vertical and lit by a light. I just dont have time to look through all the pages on that.. But they are quick to pull you over for that.. then starts the exploratory,, is that compliant,, how bout that,, do those tires say DOT? I try not to get pulled over by the man.. its easy to do the little things.. keep the price tag on the tickets low..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #48
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYANDENNY71 View Post

Whoa bro, settle down lol. This was a new CVC code enacted Jan 1, 2011.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #49
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

neener neener n stuff

CVC 5201:

Effective January 1, 2011, legislation amended CVC 5201 to include that license plates must be mounted in a position so that the characters are upright and display from left to right.

The amendment to CVC 5201 will affect vehicles displaying the license plate sideways or perpendicular.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #50
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post
neener neener n stuff

CVC 5201:

Effective January 1, 2011, legislation amended CVC 5201 to include that license plates must be mounted in a position so that the characters are upright and display from left to right.

The amendment to CVC 5201 will affect vehicles displaying the license plate sideways or perpendicular.
That is stupid, in that it doesn't do a thing to the crotch rockets that have the plate mounted dang near under the seat at a 45* angle on the inner fender where they can hardly be seen much less read. :ymca

Hope Arkansas doesn't follow suit.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #51
BRYANDENNY71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Well.....news to me.

Still doesnt change the fact that I dont care.

& my blinkers mounted on the rear fender probaby arent far enough apart.

& since my tailight is from my '06 EXC.....it doesnt have the clear part on the bottom that lights the license plate.

& I trimmed the hell out of the license plate

& my exhaust is probably too loud.

I'll let you know if I get pulled over.
BRYANDENNY71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #52
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
That is stupid, in that it doesn't do a thing to the crotch rockets that have the plate mounted dang near under the seat at a 45* angle on the inner fender where they can hardly be seen much less read. :ymca

Hope Arkansas doesn't follow suit.

Thats been dealt with for years. License plate has to be the "rearmost" of the vehicle. Case law has determined has to be within 12" of the rearmost point, which in front of the rear tire is not. Will get you pulled over very often in urban CA areas.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #53
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,330
so did anyone do this yet?

i've finally had enough, ordered the Acerbis Fender and LED Tail light/License plate mount.

Part# 209245
CE-Certified Universal LED Taillight/License Plate Holder
Color: Black
Type:
Taillight
Units:
Each
0.56 Lbs. $65.99 $65.99
Part# 613901
Rear Fender
Type:
Fender - Rear
Units:
Each
1.07 Lbs. $23.99

cross my fingers that it works out. i hate wasting money, especially when i dont have any....

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #54
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Oddometer: 577
Pissed Brand new KTM Tail/Brake light doesn't work!!

I got a new tail light assy (because you can't get just the bulb receptacle and wire harness, you have to buy the light too)! It doesn't work any better than the old one!!!

Tinkered with the receptacle...gets full power when brake applied. Checked bulb...works great for tail and brake when direct power applied. The damn brake light just doesn't get a connection when the bulb is in place!

Not sure what else to do to make the brake light side of the bulb to connect to the receptacle. Any ideas?
MNCherryinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #55
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
so did anyone do this yet?

i've finally had enough, ordered the Acerbis Fender and LED Tail light/License plate mount.

Part# 209245
CE-Certified Universal LED Taillight/License Plate Holder
Type: Taillight
Units: Each

0.56 Lbs. $65.99 $65.99

Part# 613901
Rear Fender
Type: Fender - Rear
Units: Each

1.07 Lbs. $23.99

cross my fingers that it works out. i hate wasting money, especially when i dont have any....

laters,

laramie

Let us know how this works! I may have to do it too!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #56
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCherryinCA View Post
I got a new tail light assy (because you can't get just the bulb receptacle and wire harness, you have to buy the light too)! It doesn't work any better than the old one!!!

Tinkered with the receptacle...gets full power when brake applied. Checked bulb...works great for tail and brake when direct power applied. The damn brake light just doesn't get a connection when the bulb is in place!

Not sure what else to do to make the brake light side of the bulb to connect to the receptacle. Any ideas?
your pressure switch my be bad..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #57
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

I get full 12 v at the receptacle when i apply the brakes. It's just not getting to the bulb when the bulb is installed.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #58
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Question anybody heard of a brand new tail/brake light not working?

Tried two new bulbs today...neither one worked for the brakes. I just don't get it.

-full power to the tail light at all times
-full power to the brake light with brake applied
-both sides of the bulb work when direct power is applied
-when bulb installed in socket, tail light works, when brake applied, no light from brake filament.
-checked power to ground on battery and ground inside bulb socket. same readings for both
-nodes on bulb are definitely making contact with the socket prongs as both the prongs and light bulb nodes are showing wear patterns.
-Since this is a brand new light bulb receptacle and it is doing the same thing as my old one, I tend to think there is something else going on. I just am having trouble getting past the fact that I have power to the prongs and the bulbs are good.

Anyone know any tricks to make a better connection? soldering techniques? other ways to ground the bulb when installed? I've hear of dielectric grease. How does that work?

Any help is appreciated...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #59
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCherryinCA View Post
Tried two new bulbs today...neither one worked for the brakes. I just don't get it.

-full power to the tail light at all times
-full power to the brake light with brake applied
-both sides of the bulb work when direct power is applied
-when bulb installed in socket, tail light works, when brake applied, no light from brake filament.
-checked power to ground on battery and ground inside bulb socket. same readings for both
-nodes on bulb are definitely making contact with the socket prongs as both the prongs and light bulb nodes are showing wear patterns.
-Since this is a brand new light bulb receptacle and it is doing the same thing as my old one, I tend to think there is something else going on. I just am having trouble getting past the fact that I have power to the prongs and the bulbs are good.

Anyone know any tricks to make a better connection? soldering techniques? other ways to ground the bulb when installed? I've hear of dielectric grease. How does that work?

Any help is appreciated...
Did you try to put the bulb in the other way?
The same thing happened to me when I put it in backwards, I swore that it was in right checked it several times, all wrong till I turned it around.
It worked then.

Did you get that 14 tooth sprocket yet?
theGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #60
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Tried both ways. hi and low pins only really work one way.