Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #91
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Got my eye on this! Ive had the same issues off and on! I've got some ideas for an LED board. Let you all know if I get somewhere with it!
One nice thing about hyper-lites is that they are replaced free if there is a failure...I had one module fail after approximately 30K miles (a RTW trip through Russia and Mongolia).
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #92
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,796
How hard are the Hyperlites to install? They can be adapted to the stock tail light housing, or would it be better to run the add on lights?
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #93
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
How hard are the Hyperlites to install? They can be adapted to the stock tail light housing, or would it be better to run the add on lights?
Easy to install, they mount to the bottom of the license plate light with super stickem tape(but they block the light). I think one wire from the modules goes to the OEM rear brake wire.

Very simple.
bill

Will try to post a pic...dial up connection is horrible.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #94
greentree428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
my problem is the wiring/light socket. mine flickers on and off like a christmas light. i try and work on it, it seems ok, then its back again after the next ride. i agree, this is one of the worst set-ups imaginable but its one i think we are stuck with...

laramie
well that exact same thing happened to my bike a few weeks ago. The rear tail light would flicker but eventually cut out after a period of riding. This was related to a problem with the wiring to the horn, which was causing a short and blowing my fuse controlling my rear light. For my 2002 LC4 it takes a 21W/5W duel filament bulb and when we took a look at it, I noticed the housing where the filaments come out of was melted. I assume that is why my brake light wasn't working but the running tail light did. NOW, I bought a duel filament bulb with same wattage and put it in, the running tail light worked but no brake indicator. Then tonight all of a sudden the running light stopped working, and the brake light works!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing is that the bulb I bought through Amazon wasn't necessarily marketed for motorcycles, but it had the duel filament so I assumed it would work.
greentree428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #95
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 248
Happens to me all the time - I tryied to bend those metal tabs inside for better contact with the bumps on the bulb but to no avail. You can always try it but I guess the time will come to replace it either with a new unit or with a used one of ebay.
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #96
greentree428
Adventurer

So these would fit a 2002 KTM LC4 six days adventure model????
In the picture for the first link, are they showing the front and the rear fender??
Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #97
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 248
It fits. Actually it is pretty good deal in comparison to the original rear fender setup.
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #98
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree428 View Post
So these would fit a 2002 KTM LC4 six days adventure model????
In the picture for the first link, are they showing the front and the rear fender??

yes they will fit. the fist pic just shows a front and back view of the rear fender. we cant get the one with the brake lights here in the usa (at least i couldnt find one), so i bought the lights separate and whacked off the back of my fender to make it fit. much better than stock.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #99
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
I had the same fickering tail light problem as well...and I was burning out bulbs like crazy! Took the socket a part...cleaned it up and filled it with diaelectic grease. Worked like a charm! Haven't had an issue since!

juames screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 05:05 AM
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #100
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
I tryed the dielectic grease, but ended up with one of thr tabs holed from the vibes. was time for a new socket. a friend dropped off one from an auto that was the same size dia. all i had to do was make the slots in the brakelight housing longer to accept the new socket and solder the wires together. so far so good.
it has a plug in type bulb 3157
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #101
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
i think what some of you are missing is.....the ASS end of this bike is way to big and needs the fat trimmed. my new set-up is cleaner, lighter, brighter, stronger, and wont burn out. plus it cleans everything up. i dont ride my bike on-road, so i don't care about blinkers (not even required for DOT here in AZ) so all i need is brake/tail, and a place to put my plate.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #102
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
I tryed the dielectic grease, but ended up with one of thr tabs holed from the vibes. was time for a new socket. a friend dropped off one from an auto that was the same size dia. all i had to do was make the slots in the brakelight housing longer to accept the new socket and solder the wires together. so far so good.
it has a plug in type bulb 3157
I'd be interested in the parts you used ie. what vehicle it was off of and maybe a picture?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #103
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Laramie,
I have the same taillight/fender with plans to use just the light with a new stock undertail. I just haven't gotten around to mounting it.

Can we see more pics, especially the final product?
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #104
greentree428
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coho911 View Post
before you alter your bikes !!!
the problem with the 640 tail lights is usually a tiny tiny flaw that most people don't see...

Next time your light seems to flicker or is "burnt out" - pull the bulb then look very closely at the two small metal/soldered nubs that make the electrical connection to the socket....

The normal vibration of the bike tends to rub those down creating a tiny 'cup' shape on the connection (bulb side) that leaves a microscopic gap inhibiting the electrical current.

For me, i carry about 2-3 extra spare tail light bulbs 'just in case' one burns out (hate to be invisible when i ride at night).
At $ 1.50 a bulb, for me is cheap so: I change bulb = clean contact = works fine again.

Took me a year to figure that out on my bike. The one thing i noticed as well is if you don't put the tail light assembly back in tight (easy to put it in 'just out of place' but functions) - it wiggles more as it's a touch loose and the bulb wears out the 'nubs' faster.

**not a guarantee that this is the only possible cause - but fixes alot of tail light problems (and other lighting) on offroad single cyclinder bikes.

Have a look. (***one of many worn down bulbs off mt 2007 ktm 640 adventure)

what kind of tailight is that anyway??? I bought one that seemed like it was the right specs.
But only brake light worked for some reason. But either way both connection points are working, i just cant get the proper tailight!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 AM   #105
greentree428
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
yes they will fit. the fist pic just shows a front and back view of the rear fender. we cant get the one with the brake lights here in the usa (at least i couldnt find one), so i bought the lights separate and whacked off the back of my fender to make it fit. much better than stock.

laramie
I;D love to see that on her