ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,384
Oregon Backcounty Discovery Route

Let's start by taking talk about the Oregon route off the WABDR thread. So lets see where this goes!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Non-existent OBCDR Route 1 ?????
Hood River to Bend ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
It would be very easy, I think both of us have done all the back roads to put it together. It's all there the line just needs to be put on a map if that is all some people need.
I've got July 23 - August 7th blocked out on my calandar to do OBCDR then WABDR.

We're planning on starting Oregon at the South end, I've got to get there somehow........

I was assuming I'd do Route 3 and/or Route 2 to get South to Lakeview.
I think WE need to dream up a "Route 1" to get to Bend the Fun Way.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

I say we start at Hood River and start setting the route south from here. I see only a short section from the junction of 197, Old Wapinitia Rd. & 216 above Maupin to a point between Shaniko & the Shaniko junction on 97 that will take some exploring. After 97 it's great riding as you well know Apple jam

If anyone reading this has any info on what little economic impact establishing a route has on areas that they go though, post what you know... My thought on this is that with pressure to conserve and put lands back to road less areas we need to start doing the same and pushing for some of the roads. If we can start putting a dollar figure on this it will help.

This will be just one more way of keeping roads that exist today open to everyone that would like to keep this going in the future! I know that this gets thrown around a lot but I'm just throwing one more rock in the pond here!

This might also get some flack but in regards to the WABDR video, the one scene that we don't want to see in the future is wildlife running down the road in front of a motorcycle in peoples movies or youtube videos!!! Stuff like that will not help any of us out in the long run. We really need to think about how others perceive our recreational activities.

We need to sell what we do and enjoy in a good way! Otherwise nothing good will come of it!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443

Don't any economic info, sorry but happy to help however I can.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Don't any economic info, sorry but happy to help however I can.
For now a couple of us just started thinking about putting together a route from HR to route 4 on the OOHVA on the WABDR thread and I thought it would be better to talk about this in it's own thread. The idea is to have a route closer to the south end of the WABDR.

As soon as the snow starts to melt off we can start working on putting together the GPS data and riding it.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
I'll be watching this thread. I hope to take the WBCDR from north to south then find a dirt route to Bend for Wetfest
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
dragonfinder1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Looking at a map of Or. it looks possible to ride from Cascade Locks to Lakeview and not have to leave National Forest land very much. Google maps has all the roads, but what it can't tell me is which roads are closed. It would take someone committed enough to try and make it though. It might help to have a sponsor or two like the WABDR had. I'll have time to do some of the riding to find a route, but not all of it.

98 1100GS
09 FLHTCU
dragonfinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfinder1 View Post
Looking at a map of Or. it looks possible to ride from Cascade Locks to Lakeview and not have to leave National Forest land very much. Google maps has all the roads, but what it can't tell me is which roads are closed. It would take someone committed enough to try and make it though. It might help to have a sponsor or two like the WABDR had. I'll have time to do some of the riding to find a route, but not all of it.
Well that's part of the problem (the maps) There is nothing that you can ride from Cascade Locks due to the Columbia Gorge Wilderness. The best spot to start is in Hood River, from there we can make it all the way to just above Maupin, OR. on gravel, dirt, and single lane USFS paved roads. At Maupin we hit a area from there to Shaniko and then Antelope that looks as if you would have to take two lane (Bakeoven Rd. then 218) which are great roads with little to no traffic.

At this time a lot of the route to Maupin is under lots of snow! So we will have to wait a couple of months yet before we can ride. Most of the riders from this area have spent years riding these roads but the WABDR started us thinking of a way of tying it to the OOHVA routes without having to ride to Walla Walla on 84 or WA hwy 14.

As for the GPS route, lots of us have the info in bits and pieces but not as a whole. So we will need to ride it and tie it together.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
The best spot to start is in Hood River, from there we can make it all the way to just above Maupin, OR. on gravel, dirt, and single lane USFS paved roads. At Maupin we hit a area from there to Shaniko and then Antelope that looks as if you would have to take two lane (Bakeoven Rd. then 218) which are great roads with little to no traffic.

......So we will need to ride it and tie it together.
Timothy Lake area towards Ollalie Lake and the Detroit would be my route of choice.
Barely on the WarmSprings' West border.
Saa-weeeet dirt riding all the way to Detroit, with a couple of one-lane pavers thrown in.

Brown zone riding is good this time of year for weather and conditions reasons, but.....
Let's stay Forest Green, I say
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
So we will need to ride it and tie it together.
I'm trying to get my 450EXC ready (equipment wise) for the TAT in August so I'm down for some exploration weekends to try and figure this out. Getting lost is part of the fun
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Should be fun, it's some great riding from Hood River to Maupin. Even a little Oregon history with doing a section of the Barlow Rd.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Should be fun, it's some great riding from Hood River to Maupin. Even a little Oregon history with doing a section of the Barlow Rd.
From Maupin thru Barlow Rd to Timothy Lake is PERFECT!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
From Maupin thru Barlow Rd to Timothy Lake is PERFECT!
Timothy Lake is an idea that I was batting around also but that will take some lost in the woods time. And will end up on a lot more paved.

It's hard working a route around the Warm Springs Reservation!

To keep it dirt as much as we can, I was thinking Barlow Rd., White river Rd., to Maupin, Bakeoven Rd., Shaniko, Antelope, Tub Springs Rd. (or Cold Camp Rd. & Gosner Rd.), Ashwood then south on Trout Creek
Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,343
Just a side note, I think all of us should be doing exactly as you guys are, finding and maping routes that go places and tie historical places together. It helps to preserve our heritage and demonstrates to those that would like to limit our riding areas the need to keep them open.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Timothy Lake is an idea that I was batting around also but that will take some lost in the woods time. And will end up on a lot more paved.

It's hard working a route around the Warm Springs Reservation!

To keep it dirt as much as we can, I was thinking Barlow Rd., White river Rd., to Maupin, Bakeoven Rd., Shaniko, Antelope, Tub Springs Rd. (or Cold Camp Rd. & Gosner Rd.), Ashwood then south on Trout Creek
I know lots of gravel taking us to Detroit (been there, done them),
with only a couple short runs on Sweeeeeeet one lane pavement.

But....I had an absolute BLAST riding near Ashwood, and let's not forget the Rajneeshpuram, and Cherry Creek Ranch area......

So let's try them all this Spring/Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
Just a side note, I think all of us should be doing exactly as you guys are, finding and maping routes that go places and tie historical places together. It helps to preserve our heritage and demonstrates to those that would like to limit our riding areas the need to keep them open.
I do agree with this ^^^^^
Adding historic areas and roads to this route would be fun.
A nod towards Antelope / Ashwood.