ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
sdthorpe OP
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 539
Hunt's Lodge Motorcycle Campground

Anybody have any reviews of this place? The website looks good...

We have a group of us from Augusta that are riding The Southern DS Loop around the end of May, beginning of June and I'm looking for a good spot for us to stay near Tellico. Seeing as some of our group are campers and some want a bed, this place looks like the perfect place. I was sad to see that the Cherohola Motorcycle Resort is out of business, but I'm thinking this might be a good spot...

Also, if you have any other suggestions, holler!

Thanks
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,433
I'd recommend Crawford's
http://www.crawfordsattellico.com/

You can sqeeze route information out of Danny and the place is in a perfect location to hit multiple DS areas
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,251
I've stayed at Hunts many times...love it. The cabins have boot dryers, A/C, heat, and at least the cabin I've used had a really comfy bed. I can't carry camping gear and all that on my little bike, so when I'm on it or feel like cabin it's either there or the ones on Rafter Rd (highly recommended...one helluva deal).

The camping is okay. It's kind of close to a fairly busy road if that sort of thing bothers you. But they have a pavilion with a grill and a tire changer. The bathrooms are a big plus...always really clean when I've been there and well-stocked. They also have complimentary laundry and a full-length suit dryer .

I tend to roll in there during low seasons, so they can be tough to find at times. I've waited on 'em for hours before and given up.

Cherohala motorcycle resort is close by. They're a little more out of the way...do like that part. But I've never found them open, so never stayed there. Again, I tend to get through there before the season picks up or after it's wound down.

You can also camp in the forest for free. Or there are pay sites there.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post
I'd recommend Crawford's
http://www.crawfordsattellico.com/

You can sqeeze route information out of Danny and the place is in a perfect location to hit multiple DS areas
+ 1 Great place

Warning! Y'all may not want to leave.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,788
I agree with a couple of others above.

Crawford's is in a great, quiet, scenic, out of the way location on a small stream surrounded by the best riding around. Danny is a DS'er himself (think orange Kool-Aide).

The campground has full service cabins, "bunk" type cabins, RV and primitive camping sites, a small store, and although I've not had occasion to use it yet, a well stocked shop that he rents for DIY repairs at a nominal rate.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
sdthorpe OP

Thanks for the tips about Crawfords!

Anyone had experience at Hunt's? I was hoping for reviews from there as well. Crawford's sounds really good but it is a good ways off our route, whereas Hunt's is a 1/4 mile from the route itself.

As much as I'm looking for a place to stay for myself, I'm also gathering intel for our Map we're making that DS'ers can use for years to come, a motorcycle campground that's worth it's salt and this close to the route should be included; IF it is indeed worth staying at...

If you guys haven't checked out the Southern DS Loop thread, you really should, it's gonna be awesome; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125
Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
gosling1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe View Post
Thanks for the tips about Crawfords!

Anyone had experience at Hunt's?
I've stayed at Hunt's every summer except for last year - always had a pleasant time - camped all but one time...as a previous poster noted, it is located right on TN68 - a busy stretch of road...when camping, I always
pitch camp on the very last "tier" in the back of the property...there, road noise isn't as bad...place has been opened a few years now, but as a new layout then, there is a noticeable lack of mature shade trees to pitch under - the back tier is your best bet. As mentioned before the bathhouse is very clean & laid out - it's the only one at a m/c campground that is completely HVAC - the one time I stayed in a cabin, was very impressed - had HVAC, boot/glove dryers etc.

The owners, Jack & Lori Hunt, are great people...Jack is also a wealth of info for riding routes - whether street or dual-sport.

Hope to make it by there this year unless they go belly-up like so many of the others are
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling1 View Post

The owners, Jack & Lori Hunt, are great people...Jack is also a wealth of info for riding routes - whether street or dual-sport.
I second that!

Hunt's is good, lots of motorcyclists stay there. Great for small rallies. Large fire pit! Tire changing machine too if I remember correctly. Lori helps with Rally dinners too.

The Lodge is just up the road. It's more like a motel. Very nice new cabins. Has a BBQ joint that's very good. Corn fritters with powdered sugar! Like candy! Garages for the bikes too!

I personally put my visiting family up at http://tellicologcabins.com/. Many of their cabins are on the river. They have 32 cabins from small to huge, have their own rest rooms (not public houses), frigs, cable, some have kitchens, charcoal grills, and some have jaccuzi's. The rates are great too. Bring your pole, the hatchery tosses trout in the river every week.

Cherohala Motorcycle Resort will not be opening this year unless something changes in the next couple of weeks. Lost their manager.

Tellico is great place to ride!

Minimike screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 11:50 AM
Minimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,788
That one is my desktop background. (Not your lovely wife, the mountains and clouds shot.)
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
sdthorpe OP

Mike!

I just talked to you on the phone yesterday about the Klim Dakars!! Thanks for being so accommodating yesterday and for replying to my question today!

What a Guy!!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Anytime.

You're going to need National Geographic Map#781 Cherokee National Forest. The visitor's center, Katz Deli, and the Ranger Station sell them in town. Your local hiking shop may too. (We may be stocking them too by then.)

If you get one, Tom or I will high light it for you. Show you all the good loops in the NF.

minimike
Old 03-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
I was only able to get up there once last year but we spent two nights at hunts. We camped out overlooking the road but it didn't bother us a bit. Stopped by and saw Mike twice coolest motorcycle shop in the southeast. He carrys stuff in stock I had only seen online. Every one there even the other guest were great. Heading back this spring/summer.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe View Post
Mike!

I just talked to you on the phone yesterday about the Klim Dakars!! Thanks for being so accommodating yesterday and for replying to my question today!

What a Guy!!
Klim shipment today! Your Dakars were in the box with the rest of my order.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
sdthorpe OP

Thanks Mike!! Have fun on your trip, Ride Report?!?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Fantastic weather today!