User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
The X-lite X-551 in US....

I've heard a rumor, the US Nolan importer is working on the DOT certification for this helmet and it should be available on the US market soon....

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
ok so anyone used this lid with mx goggles yet?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #18
lorenzoLVG
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've had this helmet for a few months now. It does look like it's really well built as you hold it in your hands, the paint, the visor, the peak it all says quality. Although after taking the helmet out of the bag for the first time i found some rubber gaskets lying on the floor and never found out where they came from.

Aside from pulling it over your head it's very comfortable, well balanced and light. Field of view is excellent as is ventilation. The peak has a "screw" to adjust the position. I found out i can adjust the peak while riding at moderate speeds as it can be done with one hand and doesn't take a lot of time.

Some drawbacks though. The helmet is very quiet at low speeds but at high speed, at least with my combination of bike-helmet-jacket, it gets really loud. I haven't tried taking the peak off as i rarely cruise on the highway but it might help. It seems that most of the noise is getting in at the neck roll.

Another thing that might bother some is that you can forget wearing goggles with this helmet except if you manage to find some really small ones.

To conclude ... very nice comfortable helmet with a useful sun visor, but better stay of the highway or wear quality earplugs ;)
lorenzoLVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #19
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Question Ear pockets

I am also looking at this Helmet. Can you tell me if it has the cutouts in the shell for speakers? I have a Nolan Trilogy and the noise level dropped dramatically when I put in the speakers for my Comms. You might try putting in some foam into the cutouts as I am sure they act like echo chambers right now.
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,402
Yes, the cut-outs are there. My friend installed a N-comm in his X551
Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
klingklang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
i found some rubber gaskets lying on the floor and never found out where they came from
If it is what I have in mind, Mine are used as washer between the helmet and the visor. Probably to prevent a bit the vibration and preventing the screws to get loose. Hope it help.
klingklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #22
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
according to Revzilla site it should be available in US in Jan 2012. Nolan_X-551
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
Hellmit
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Bought this helmet in Andorra last year. Was quite taken by the weight. After 6 months or touring my neck was telling me to reduce the weight. It is a very comfortable helmet and is obviously constructed of quality materials. Sadly it has not been approved for use in Australia ... yet.

A few small drawbacks however. At speed the helmet is very noisy, even with all vents closed. Have taken the visor off and this does not seem to reduce the noise at all. The second issue is the screws used by Nolan to secure the visor. They are easily broken and should be replaced by a metal (metric thread) screw on the left and right sides. This seems to be the only deficiency in the construction. Otherwise it is a very comfortable helmet with good peripheral vision. To be honest, I really think the internal sun visor is a bit redundant and have never used it.

The unit is set up for installation of the Nolan Bluetooth system, however I fitted a F4 without any modifications. The speakers fitted into the foam cavities easily.

In Andorra the helmet cost 350 euro. I would expect the price will be a lot higher in AUS or US.
Hellmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #24
AHA
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Plastic screws for the peak

Helmitt - I've read that these dual sport helmets specifically use plastic screws for the peak so they break and detach the peak immediately on impact for safety reasons. I guess rolling along the deck with a peak could increase the chances of a nasty neck inury. If this really is the case, you might not want to use more secure metal screws after all. Is there anything in the user guide or instructions?
AHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #25
Hellmit
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Good point AHA. To be honest I had not considered that. In any event, the visor would probably disintegrate if such an impact was to occur. The most likely scenario was that the plastic screws could break while riding at speed and this could result in its own set of potentially difficult consequences. I have retained the plastic screw on the top of the helmet that adjusts the forward / backward movement of the visor. The only ones I have replaced are the screws at the pivot points on the sides. When the plastic screw breaks, it is very difficult to remove the remnants. I had to melt a groove into the remains of the screw to get it out. Nevertheless the point you have made is good. Maybe Nolan should include additional screws with the helmet? I know I could not get replacements for them here in Australia. This helmet is not available here, and there is no indication that it ever will be.
Hellmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #26
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
My wife and I both got X551's when they arrived here in NZ. I like it a lot. I've always been very fussy with my helmets, as far as space around my ears goes. As these are designed for intercoms there is plenty of room and no pressure points on my ears. I have fitted our Baehr intercomm headsets to the helmets. My only critisism so far is air is vented up onto the front visor even with the front vent closed. In the cold, air blows onto my eyes making them water. If it becomes a PITA I will block them off.
Overall, very happy
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
sterfry
Jackleg

Oddometer: 178
How is sizing on the X551 compared to other brands? The Webbikeworld review says they run a little small.

"What's now considered OCD used to be considered taking pride in your work." - Tony Adkins
sterfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
johnnysunami
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Has anyone found these in the US yet? Would appreciate a few links...
johnnysunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #29
klingklang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
(PROBLEM SOLVED, THANK YOU)

throught the washing process, it look like a part went off and I cant remember where it was. Is there someone with an x-551 that would be kind enought to send me a picture to show exactly where this part is located. I wrote to X-lite and did not got any answer yet. Maybe ADV inmate are better I said to myself.

klingklang screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 08:37 AM
klingklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #30
Guldur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'll check that after work.
Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote