Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
I happened across the same article today as well, which is what made me jump right on this thread when I saw it. Good stuff for all to know! thanks to the OP.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
My mother has an article written about her compartment syndrome. She got it from walking up a steep hill with a bad thyroid. It was the first anyone had ever seen it in the U.S. She ironically went to a Dr. appointment when she came home she was tired and laid down. She woke to bad pain in her legs, my father took her to the emergency room. Because there was no trauma they did not check for compartment syndrome, until one bright doctor walked in and looked and said "she needs surgery NOW!"

She had the gashes down the leg, but they could not staple them shut. She lost a lot of the muscle in her calves and for the rest of her life needed to wear braces to walk. It caused her a lot of grief and pain for the next 25 years. Know what it is, and if you feel the symptoms make them check for it, every minute counts.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #18
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Thank you for sharing this. I've read about a number of MotoGP riders experiencing this in their forearms but never understood the implications. Makes me wonder if adding some bars to my FJR might not be a bad idea.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I just read about Miles O'Brien, a journalist, having his left arm amputated above the elbow due to compartment syndrome caused by a box falling on it.

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/pilot-...MjYxNTg5MTU4S0

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #20
ManxTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I know you pain. I got my leg pined between a van bumper and my bike
five years ago and it was no fun. Breaking bones is fun compared to that.
I'm glad that I still have my leg. I was stupid and didn't go to the hospital
so my left leg is a little different then my right. But I made my goal went skiing six months later.
ManxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Thank you for the insight.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #22
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
Thanks for posting up.
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #23
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
A good doctor is worth every penny of his exorbitant salary. I was riding recently with two doctor friends and a nurse: Neurosurgeon, anesthesiologist, and nurse anesthetist. One of our group went down HARD. I stepped aside and let the professionals do the first aid and headed back to call an ambulance. The doctors did their thing, reduced the fracture on the trail (tibial plateau), and we got our injured buddy out.

Just wish the government would get their idiotic mitts off of a system that works extremely well for anyone who is willing to get a job.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
So, after the OP dumped the HD; did he get back on and stop her in less distance or not??

Good info, thank you for posting this.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #25
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I had never heard of Compartment Syndrome until about a year ago. I had just spent two years building my own 2,400 sq ft log house by myself and managed to avoid the ER room during that time. I needed to move the cell phone repeater antenna from our shop building up to the new house, so I got the ladder and went down there. I set the "A" Gorilla ladder up next to the almost flat drop roof, climbed up and took down the antenna. With an armful of drill & tools I went to step back onto the ladder.

I know better, I should have went to one knee then stepped down onto the ladder, but instead I stepped right onto the top of the "A". The ladder started to fall over, so instead of going down with the ship, I dropped everything and bailed. I jumped ahead of the ladder, let my legs take the 8' drop, then tucked and rolled. I was so proud of myself for not feeling any pain or not hearing anything snap.....until I saw the 70lb ladder blot out the sun as it careened towards me. I tried to get out of the way, but the apex of the ladder slammed into my shin about 5" below the knee.

A week later my leg was really swollen and hurt like hell, so I caved and found a clinic that had a X-ray machine(I do not go to ER rooms unless there is a compound fracture and/or a tourniquet involved). The X-ray was negative for a fracture, but then the very attractive tall blond Dr said...."So do you know what Compartment Syndrome is?....I told her, "No, never heard of that". She explained it then said I was really close to LOSING MY LEG! Now she had my attention, so I did everything she told me to do which was mostly staying completely off it for 4 days(that is a really hard for me...I was ADD before ADD was cool). It took a month for the swelling to calm down.....lesson learned.

Compartment Syndrome is nothing to blow off...the consequences can be a life changer.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #26
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
So, after the OP dumped the HD; did he get back on and stop her in less distance or not??
?? I'm the OP and I posted an article. The article wasn't about me fyi, although I did have a case of compartment syndrome at one time.

Good riding all!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote