User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #31
Xamot
Fringe Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Furry Chupacobra

Dont worry about the furry thing that tried to sleep in your armpit, I'm sure it was just the ghost of the dog that you ran over!
Xamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #32
Chairman
Everyday is Friday

Oddometer: 73
I saw you there

I was in Costa Rica during that time. Some of my friends moved to Atenas and I went to check on them. I plan on going back next winter and renting a bike. The riding looks like a lot of fun. Was that you crossing the yellow line up the hill in the curve?

Chairman screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 08:48 PM
Chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #33
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,766
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamot View Post
Dont worry about the furry thing that tried to sleep in your armpit, I'm sure it was just the ghost of the dog that you ran over!

good one !!
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #34
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
cool beans

Never exchange more than $20 bucks at the airport, its a bad exchange rate. The banks in larger cities are kinda fun, they search you, make you take off your hat, put you in a room full of chairs. I suggest going to the small banks, don't go in without your passport or you get sent back to square one
I had some dog treats with me for my trip and the damn dogs looked at me like I was loco when I tryed to give them any Oh well, lesson learned.
Got any video of San Jose traffic?
Loved the bridge videoI wish I would of had a video when I followed a gravel truck thru a very deep/large boulder water crossing. So glad my I didn't swamp the engine.

No Hay Paso get you?

More por favor
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #35
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Laugh sure, ill do requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo View Post
Got any video of San Jose traffic?
sure man, i have some "playing in traffic" videos from the San Jose area. here is one for ya.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #36
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Really cool treatment of your photos. It's almost like a combination of Lomo and Orton technique. You mind sharing what you're doing????
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #37
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Wink A Fist Full of Costa Rica: DAY 4 Osa peninsula to Jaco

DAY 4 the Osa Peninsula to Jaco

while i was having breakfast i showed my map to 3 different people that were working at Rancho Corcovado. I asked them all "does this road exist?" One of them (the cook) didn't know where the road was, one thought he had heard of the road but it was only for backpackers (a hiking trail), the third (the manager) knew of the road but it was only passable with an ATV.... whats funny is that
I used this road to get to Rancho Corcovado & I was going to use the same road to leave corcovado. it is 1 of the 2 roads that Access Corcovado ! Jeez !

so, as always, its better to trust your instincts.

V I D E O

i stopped to get gas from a quicky mart . check out the load the other moto - guy is strapping to his bike

I ride a yamaha XT225 "el chupacabra" back home. i love it. here is the Brazilian model of my bike the Serow. notice anything on this bike that would be nice to have on the USA version ?

I rode up into the mountains. according to my GPS i hit an elevation of 11,500ft. It can get pretty chilly up there with all the clouds and misty rain.

V I D E O

the fog is thick here. sometimes i couldnt see 20ft. beyond my front tire.

The roads here are amazing. twisty , gnarled, wadded up things with no guard rails or anything else to obstruct a riders view of the world.

the potholes are also worth noting:

I am absolutely certain that for each pothole that is filled and smoothed over in birmingham alabama , 2 potholes.. that are 3 times the size and 3 times the depth of those filled in alabama are instantly brought into existence somewhere in Costa Rica.

Lots of these kind of Palms around here. I think they are farmed for their fronds.

V I D E O

when i arrived in Jaco i rode around the town for a little while. fuck me what a shit-hole of a place. .

the main reason i stayed here is because i could ride up the coast to Puntarenas to catch the ferry to Paquera (Peninsula de Nicoya) which departs at 9:00.

NEXT TIME:

Peninsula de Nicoya. Ferry boat. Carrillo, jungle mountain hill climbs / trail blazing. Tree houses , water crossings, tire problemos.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #38
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
fun report

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
sure man, i have some "playing in traffic" videos from the San Jose area. here is one for ya.

Nice lane splitting, you ever try the sidewalk or drainage ditch? They are kinda fun when all else fails. I love the mountain road driving, less traffic than there are signs telling you where the F you are headed. Went down one "road" for at least 30 minutes and it ended at a closed gate. I hate going back. Well I guess it didn't suck all that much
Looking forward to the Nicoya report, I spent one night in Montezuma(raggae) and 2 in Santa Teresa(surf's up dude)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #39
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,708
Good stuff Swamp,

makes me want to pack up and head to CR and get out of all this rain and snow up my way. Keep it coming.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #40
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Wink A Fist Full of Costa Rica

Tuesday 3/15/2011

Jaco to Carrillo (peninsula de nicoya)

The Golfo de Nicoya separates Puntarenas from the Nicoya Peninsula. Puntarenas is a cool little town. to access it you will need to pay a toll (for the toll road).

I pulled up to the ferry about 30 minutes early. the guard pointed me to the ticket house. picked up my ticket and boarded the "TAMBOR II"

VIDEO

and like that i was headed to Paquera. the ferry is awesome. two levels. bottom level is a garage type. filled with cars. I talked with a few Ex-Pats that were now living where i was going. everyone is very easy going. I wandered around the parking deck for a while until i was spotted by a guard who told me i must go up stairs with all the other passengers there was some old yankee lady that wouldnt shut the fuck up.

the doubt had begun to creep in while on my way to the ferry. my front tire had "cupped" and chipped very badly. the center knobs were basically gone from all this.

here is a shot of what my front tire looked like after i came off the ferry

I decided that I would flip the tire. you know, turn it around. even out the cupping.... for some reason this this er... sounded REASONABLE at the time. so i flipped it and carried on. the worry went down however the doubt still existed

There are so many water crossings in Costa Rica. very fun stuff. keeps it interesting. most of the time where you enter the water is not where you exit the water.

V I D E O

i decided to follow a dump truck into the jungle. it turned off down into a dry river bed where there was a shovel loader hefting boulders into another dumper truck.

the " dirt road" went away.

i passed a couple local guys with machetes who gave me the "you are trespassing" stare. ... then i passed a big wooden sign that i couldnt read ... because i was going to fast.

trail started to look like this:

this all first gear up-hill. i only uploaded half of this hill. it starts in a creek and goes all the way to the top of the mountain. front wheel size ruts , big boulders , downed trees. very fun stuff.

Here are some shots from the top of the mountain

This is one of my favorites. in the center of the photo, next to the bike you can see all those mountains. like steps. each one a different hue. a great reward for exploring the woods and taking the path less traveled.

i stopped at a little pizza joint near Playa Coyote called Treetop Pizza. Two guys run it. one is from Italy (Luca) and the other is from Quebec (Andre). Nice guys.

Andre asked me if i could speak french. "yea, i can say lesse le bon ton rulette" (let the good times roll) and "manger de nana" (eat the pussy) - the story behind the last one...... a french prostitute once uttered those words and pointed to here uglies . i respectfully declined.

one of the two Staple Costa Rican brews

Concerning the pizza. I was ravenous at this point.
this is what i wrote in my journal while the pizza was cooking: --

"Pizza ! is being shouted from down below. Oh my God this Pizza is going to rule my world with an Iron Stalin Fist!"

It was the best pizza i have ever had. I shit you not my brothers.

i had to take a picture of this older DT. sweet right !?

I decided to call it a day in Playa Carrillo. its a very relaxed little town on the coast

Next Time:
tire change, mountains, Liberia, los chiles, Cabanga , Rio Azul ,volcanoes, drinking from coco nuts.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #41
ssgmiddleton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Dude, your pictures are awesome. What software do you use to edit them. This trip looks great.

You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win a war by making the other son-of-a-bitch die for his"

08' KLR 650 Red
06' CRF450R
03' CRF230F
ssgmiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #42
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,708
Talking Damn that looked like a fun ride...

Awesome
Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #43
Ryan Nelson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Loving the report (as usual)!
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #44
swamp OP
U lie&yo'breff stank

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Nelson View Post
Loving the report (as usual)!

whaazzzuuuup Ryan . nice to see some good ol' alabama boys in the house.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #45
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
Very Nice!

Sweet!

Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote