Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,637

A quick coat of header paint and the pipe will do for now. Once mounted on the bike we will tack on the stock ruckus shield and see if it looks stock. Assuming the pipe doesn't sound like crap.
On a more exciting note. The last of my parts have shipped. Fedex delivery date is the 18th. With any luck we will have poor Hank running this weekend.
The only thing I still need to do is paint the rear wheel(which is in the Friday crate). And then mount the tire. After that there is no reason we shouldn't be able to test ride this weekend.
I am excited to say the least. But I will not let myself get to excited until the crate is in my hands.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #32
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

I was right not to get excited. My tracking number delivery date just got pushes back to Monday. So much for this weekend.
So I mounted the knobbys on the gs and bought a few boxes of ammo. Saturday is gonna be a target practice day. With maybe a little riding. Sunday will be mud day. A GS trail ride in our muddy late winter thaw.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #33
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ok
The package is local. I should have it Monday in the am. I am off Monday and Tuesday. So there should be so real progress in the build over the next few days. Maybe even a test ride on Tuesday.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #34
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
I was right not to get excited. My tracking number delivery date just got pushes back to Monday. So much for this weekend.
So I mounted the knobbys on the gs and bought a few boxes of ammo. Saturday is gonna be a target practice day. With maybe a little riding. Sunday will be mud day. A GS trail ride in our muddy late winter thaw.

I hope your not praticing so you shot the delievery guy for making your wait
Old 03-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #35
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

The calm before the storm. Tomorrow I build. Everything up to now was tear down. I can't wait until tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #36
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
I can't wait either. I feel like Oscar Goldman waiting for Steve Austin...

oh and uhhh.. NICE RACK!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #37
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Of course the fedex guy got here late. Now it's time for family stuff. But I have all the parts now. So tonight we begin!!

The mounts

The happy new motor

Tonight when I get back. The fun begins.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #38
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

It lives!!!! Pictures to come.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #39
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
It lives!!!! Pictures to come.
The ultimate tease! You bastard!

Waiting.........
Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #40
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

I did not plan to do the whole job in one sitting. It just happened that way. I was on call for work. Ended up seeing patients around midnight. And by the time I got done last night it was 2am.
The scooter started on the first crank. That made me very happy. Its a little lean, but i did not touch the air screw yet.
Today I have to buy some hardware to mount the exhaust and paint my wheel the get the tire mounted. I should get a test ride this afternoon. Here are a few teasers until I get writing later.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #41
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
That is great!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #42
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ok
The paint has to dry before I can mount the tire. So here we go.

The Installation

I did not plan to do the whole instal in one sitting. I planned to tinker after dinner for a n hour or so. I was on call for work. Which meant I could get called in at any time. So it was not the best time to do anything. I figured I would do some simple stuff. Save the hard stuff for tomorrow. So first I mounted the shock relocation bracket. It was very cut and dry. One bolt. The picture is worth a thousand words.

Next came time to mount the engine bracket. Call me dumb, but I assumed before I had the parts that the pivot of the motor would be the same. And that the bracket mounted to the motor to make it work that way. This is not the case. The bracket mounts to the frame in multiple point and motor pivot off the mount. So the frame must be prepped for the mount.

First thing to do is drill out these two holes. These are where the cargo tray used to bolt too.

For the most part this is the only drilling I did on my whole install. THe rest was pretty much bolt on/ plug and play.

Once the frame is done, its time to prep the motor. I was told to remove this part from my stock motor mount and cut it down to fit the GY6 motor. But found the new proper size spacer in my kit. So no cutting was needed. I just filled it down a touch to make it fit.

Once filed I put it in place.

Now for the hard part. Let put the motor in this puppy. I was all alone, and I lent a friend my floor jack. So lifting the motor and sliding a the bolt in was not happening. So instead I lowered the bike to the motor. Once it was bolted in I added the rear shock and lifted the bike back on onto the stand with a friend who came to check on me.

The motor was in. It took under and hour for this step. With 2 people and sharp bits it could of been done in a half hour.

Now it was time for the fun stuff. Carb, electrical and brakes. This stuff is all cut and dry. So I did not take any pictures during this.

I started with the brake line. Turns out its not long enough. I am not surprised. Most people use aftermarket bars on these scooters which free up lots of cable. I am going for that stock look. So of course I am about 4-6" short.

Next I mounted the wiring harness. It was pretty cut and dry. Except for the connector going to the fuel tank. Different years use different plugs. And mine did not match. I plan to solder the connector from my old harness on today. They did a nice job other then that. I am not faulting them for that. There electrical work looks great.

Once the wiring was laided out, I mounted the carb and air filter. The carb and vacume lines are simple. This took all of 5 minutes with cable and fuel lines.

These last parts went by so fast. I did not take any pictures. But if you took it apart, you should be able to put it back. The new motor is set back further on the bike. It makes it much easier to get to things. So wiring and fuel lines were much easier. I can adjust the carb without even removing any covers on the bike.

Next was my pipe. After playing a bit we realized I needed some hardware and spacers. The pipe is on the scooter now, but just by the header bolts. After typing this I am off for bolts, spacers and to have my tire mounted.

Anyway. After messing with the pipe last night, we realized there really was nothing stopping us from starting Hank. I was in a good mood and did not want to ruin it by trying to start him and it not working. But my step son came over a little after midnight and egged me on. So what the hell. Lets try. We turned on the key and every thing came on the way it should. Well sort of. On a 50cc scooter the lights don't come on until the bike is running. Now they come on with the key. And they are super bright. They are not RPM dependent like before. I am not sure how this will effect my battery.
It was time to push the button. To my surprise Hank fired right up. As if he had been running all day. Two turns of the motor and vroom. This made me very happy. He is running lean. But not too bad. I adjusted the mixture and it got better. But I am going to have to rejet for sure. I will know more after I take teh bike for a spin.
Well the paint should be dry. Time to get my tire mounted and give this a test ride. A test ride with no back brakes. This should be interesting.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #43
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
go hank!!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #44
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Nice install!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #45
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ben gives it his official seal of approval. He pissed on it. It's his now.
Ben and I took Hank for a shake down. We went about 10 miles. Stopping to visit friends. The scooter is much faster. Mostly noticeable in the low to midrange. The speedo on a Ruckus only goes to 40 mph. But the needles goes most of the way around. I will mount the gps on later to see how fast it goes. But for now I am enjoying my upgrade at normal speeds. I can pass people on roads that are 35mph. But everyone is going 45. And that's all I really wanted. To be able to keep the fast flow of traffic.

Time to ride. I will post more later.