User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,973
SUbscribed as well

Well you missed lots of great advr in Portland. But on your return trip if you need a place to crash before heading home. PM me!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Did portions of the same trip last summer on a Ninja 250....great to see your pics and thanks for taking us along
Jimmy the Heater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Tlaloc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I'm glad to see your report as I'll ride a similar route starting Friday, March 11. Thanks for the info on Highway 128. I plan to stick to the coast from Crescent City to Sausalito, which makes for a long day. I'm considering 128, which will add some variety to the ride.

Thanks,
Carlos
Tlaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #19
SoosCreek OP
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
Day 5 – 195 miles, Monterey, CA to Lompoc, CA

My second motorcycle was a brand new black 1981 Suzuki GS1000 that was outfitted with a black Vetter fairing and Krauser saddlebags. It was one of the first Sport Tourer type bikes in this configuration, big and fast enough with pretty good handling. Great for long trips and relatively inexpensive.

I liked the GS1000 because it had a high load capacity, greater than 500 lbs, and the best roll on speed in the market. By that I mean, it would go from 40 to 60 faster in 4th and from 60 to 80 in 5th than any other bike that I knew off. I like top end acceleration because it comes in handy on freeways when you need to move forward quickly. I always liked to escape using acceleration and not the brakes. Safer and you could see in front.

I put about 40,000 miles on the GS1000 over 5 years before a cement truck jumped in front of me on a freeway. I hit the front tire and flew down the road and landed on my head and my hands. I had a good full faced Simpson (black) helmet that saved my face and full gear that limited the damage to broken wrists and lots of bruises. It was tough to open doors for a long while…

My wife took advantage of me in my weakened and defenseless condition and we ended up starting a family. We had been married for about 4 years. She informed me it was my duty to stay alive and be around to raise the kids …so that limited my riding for a long time…. But the kids are grown now!

The Day’s Ride Report

Made-to-order breakfast came with the room so I took my time this morning and actually had a full meal. Checked out the weather and the day was looking pretty good. Packed up the bike once again and then got onto Highway 1 and took off going south. Monterey was nice, Carmel interesting, but a little too “packaged’ for me.

This road definitively lived up to its reputation. Beautiful coastline twistys that go up, down, in and out. I took a few photos, but at some point with a vista stop every mile or so, it just did not seem to be worth it. You all have seen pictures of this coastline and it was truth in advertising for sure. Sunny weather, 55-65 degrees. I even had to start stripping off the layers and took out my light gloves. Free at last!

The one surprise was the Big Sur area. I should have not stopped in Monterey and instead just kept going down to Big Sur. Since it is the off season and middle of the week, every lodging place had a vacancy posted. There were plenty of lodging options right on a cliff overlooking the water or in the trees. Probably less than I paid in Monterey without the view and with a lot more charm and interesting people. Some still looked like they haven’t left since the big concert in ’71.

There was some road construction along the way. Two 1-lane, stoplight controlled sections with up to 5 minute waits. Not really a problem with little or no traffic like today. I do believe they are building a road in thin air at one of the sections, there was just nothing left of the mountainside. Amazing.

I am not sure if this route would be any fun in the summer with any real traffic and/or RVs. I only saw 1 big RV bus with a dingy and with these curves; it would just be a nightmare to have to follow or pass all of these folks. There is limited turnouts and passing zones. Many, many, many 20 mph curves with sheer drop offs…traffic would have made it a long, long painful ride.

The sound end of this ride was surprising and very beautiful in its own right. Once you lose the cliffs you are still in some great stretches of road. This includes San Simenon, the Hearst Castle, Cayucos, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, etc.

I was feeling guilty that I had not changed the oil before I left so I stopped in San Louis Obispo at San Louie Motorsports and asked them if they could do a quick oil change while I got some lunch. Luckily they could and there was a Subway within walking distance. Oil was a little low and I wanted the bike in good condition for the LA freeways.

Took Highway 1 from Santa Maria to Vandenberg AFB and then to Lompoc. Checked in with some family for a day or two and started trying to figure out where I was going to stay for the Pac-10 Basketball tournament. Seems my alma mater, Washington is seeded 3rd and going against Washington State seeded 6th, for the late game on Thursday.

Ride Map

Photos from the Day

Gear Report

Tank Bag, et al. I have a multiple configuration Cortech tank bag with magnets. It allows me to have about 4 different sizes of bag, but for this trip I have the smaller top bag with the expandable option. It has a map pocket on top and lots of little compartments inside and a waterproof cover. I like to keep my laptop, GPS and other valuable in the tank bag so I like the ease of magnetic attachment as I just grab it and take it with me.

Inside the tank bag I have a fishing tackle container that is subdivided into multiple little areas for tools and all sorts of stuff. See the photos below. I am not sure where I got this idea, but I really like the ease of access to things when you need them.

ADVer of the Day

Today’s thumbs up goes to:

JGBrown, http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=179698

I still cannot believe he is travelling so far on a 30 year old bike just like the one I had....

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
SoosCreek OP
Angle of Repose...

Day 5 Ride Map

Forgot the Ride Map!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #21
WaywardRider
a geek on two

Oddometer: 40
Not only are your RRs filled with the giddy recitations of your adventure, they are thoughtful reports on routes, sites, and road conditions. I admire how you have organized your posts and hope you'll take it as a well-deserved compliment if I end up nicking your format!

Keep the reports coming!

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250

Blog of Spring 2011 Solo Ride through the US: http://www.waywardrider.com
WaywardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #22
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 906
I'm in.

Really enjoy your writing style.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
Skedaddle
just call me Lou

Thumb Subscribed

In
Skedaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
SoosCreek OP
Angle of Repose...

Day 6 – 200 miles, Lompoc, CA to Mission Viejo, CA

Now why did I leave the 12GS at home? Man this ST1300 is heavy and I am missing that 6th gear… Especially going 80 down the freeways in LA…

The Day’s Ride Report – Looking for Charley Sheen!

Took Highway 1 out of Lompoc headed to Highway 101 and Santa Barbara. The 20+ miles of Highway 1 was surprising nice ride through “green” hills and wild country. Seems they have had lots of rain down here and everything is really green at the moment. Started heating up today and got to take off all of the liners, too bad I am one of those ATGATT guys as it was to be 82 in LA – could have got a tan!

Cruised by Santa Barbara along the coast on 101 with great views of the Santa Catalina islands and of course the oil rigs off the coast. Continued into Ventura and decided to drop back onto the Highway 1 and swing through Malibu and Santa Monica.

Every morning when I turn on the news I seem to get a new report about Charley Sheen’s newest video or interview or whatever. Really strange behavior, oh well, we each have ways of killing ourselves I guess. Anyway, figured I would be on the lookout for Charley as I travel through Malibu as he supposedly has a real house along the beach that he currently shares with his new “roommates”.

If you have ever been along the road in Malibu, some of the houses are literally right on the beach and backed up to the highway. Many don’t have garages or private parking. You can see lots of quality cars along the way. Today, there was a Lamborghini and a Ferrari parked along the street in front of a couple of houses. Rough!

Not much action along the beaches as it was Wednesday and no sign of Charley or the Paparazzi . Continued onto the Santa Monica freeway and then down the 405. It is nice that LA has the restricted HOV lanes and that motorcycles are eligible. Just have to watch out for those merge windows when cars can enter and exit. You gotta love an 8 lane highway each direction and average speeds of 75-80 with no traffic!

Arrived in Mission Viejo to visit some more family members and to sit out on their veranda in 82 degree weather and watch the sun go down…

Ride Map

Photos from the Day

Gear Report

Tail Bag. I bought an Iron River Luggage sissy bar type bag I bought at a local Harley dealer. It attaches to the backrest I added to the bike with a Velcro strip that goes around the backrest and then some great tie down straps that attach to the luggage bar. Bag has both a top mid access panel and zip down roll ends.

ADVer of the Day

Today’s thumbs up goes to:

Colebatch, http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=33212

If you have read his Siberian Extreme 2010 – Back For More Ride Report you see the extent that some folks will go for adventure. Fun to follow and exhausting to think about.

Tomorrow - Pac 10 Basketball Tournament! Go Huskies!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #25
WaywardRider
a geek on two

@SoosCreek: what map app are you using for posting your routes? Love how easy it is to see where you've been.

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250

Blog of Spring 2011 Solo Ride through the US: http://www.waywardrider.com
WaywardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #26
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
How is it running down the PCH through the LA area? I've wanted to do the 101 all the way from Washington down but I hate riding in heavy traffic.
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardRider View Post
@SoosCreek: what map app are you using for posting your routes? Love how easy it is to see where you've been.
The maps that are being posted are from Bing maps.
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #28
mediaguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Nice ride

If you get anywhere around Yosemite give me a call, we're in the Sierra Foothills just 20 miles from there. Place to sleep and eat.
559 877-4514

Larry
mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #29
SoosCreek OP
Angle of Repose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaguy View Post
If you get anywhere around Yosemite give me a call, we're in the Sierra Foothills just 20 miles from there. Place to sleep and eat.
559 877-4514

Larry
Thanks Larry. I am not sure what my plan is actually going to be yet. I will go to Arizona and then up either through Utah and/Or Nevada. Depends on weather and such, but I appreciate the offer!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #30
SoosCreek OP
Angle of Repose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublen View Post
How is it running down the PCH through the LA area? I've wanted to do the 101 all the way from Washington down but I hate riding in heavy traffic.
The PCH was really easy and very beautiful this time of year. There were very few cars on the road all the way from Oregon and only a couple of RVs. It is slow south of Big Sur but most of the rest I averaged around 50-60 mph with some slow turns.

There were a couple of construction zones and with traffic it could be a night mare. I can just imagine a senior citizen with a bus RV pulling a dingy making some of those 15 mph blind corners. Ouch! and the small turnoffs? I could see long delays and the whole trip being a bust. You just have to pick the right season. A couple of times Highway 1 will turn into 101 for a stretch and could turn into a 6 lane freeway.

If you have not ridden in 12 lane 80+ mph highways with people passing you on both sides, it does take some getting used to. At least we have the HOV lanes and only once in a while someone will try and push you out of their way. I had ridden these freeways in the 80's, but they have a little more choas.