Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #316
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
I mentioned that 150cc Chinese scooter like the OP bought were available locally for under $700. The retailer in Milan, IN, (Dirt Cheap ATV's) doesn't offer those right now but has a 150cc scooter with 10" wheels that kinda-sorta looks like a 50 for $659 plus Indiana sales tax in the box.

Just to cast temptation at you...

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #317
acworthpatrick
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Maybe Im lucky, but got 26,000 miles on my Chinese Scooter as of yesterday!

2 years ago after losing my car in bankruptcy and being desperate for transportation I purchased this 2010 Kaitong Boccia (Chinese GY6 150cc) scooter from a local shop. This thing has been my savior and I was told I would be lucky to get 5000 miles from it, but for 899.00 it didn't sound bad and the dealership gave a 6 month warranty. Well its now August 2012 and its still running great at 26,000 miles and I've learned to do maintenance myself as well, oil changes, belt changes and transmission oil. It goes 45 to 50mph easily and I can push it to 55 and even 60 if its downhill when needed. People always try to convince me its reading in KM's, but its miles and I know this because its 36 miles one way to work and it logs 36.2 so its very accurate. The speedometer is not accurate however, basically your going 10mph slower than it says. When I am cruising around at 50mph, it says right at 60mph. I was excited to when I learned how to remove the front and rear wheels so I could save money on tire replacements to. I find it interesting reading through this thread and the reference to Gates belts - I had a terrible experience to. I put one on and it shredded and made a mess and left me stranded with 1800 miles. The Chinese belts last 4000 and I changed them when the manual said to and never has one shredded or failed. I've never tried the Kevlar belts though.
I buy them from a local Scooter shop in Alpharetta, GA buy my office (Monster GY6).

I love this little bike and will forever be grateful to the hard times it got me through when I couldn't afford anything else. I still ride it everyday now rain or shine and pocket the 400 a month I would spend on car payments, 400 for gas, and 50 for insurance and will continue to do so until this thing blows up :)
acworthpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #318
acworthpatrick
n00b

Wanted to share my recent AutoMoto Trike scooter experience so far.

Just wanted to mention to that with such great success on my first one, I bought another GY6 150cc powered trike.
I have just over 3000 miles so far, but its been trouble free and I really enjoy riding it. Gives "Little Red" a well deserved break. It has an FM 4 speaker stereo system built in with a plug for you ipod to, keeps you warm and dry when the weather sucks. Best part is your like a celebrity when you ride it, everyone taking pictures of you, stopping to ask you about it at red lights lol....

Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #319
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by acworthpatrick View Post
2 years ago after losing my car in bankruptcy and being desperate for transportation I purchased this 2010 Kaitong Boccia (Chinese GY6 150cc) scooter from a local shop. This thing has been my savior and I was told I would be lucky to get 5000 miles from it, but for 899.00 it didn't sound bad and the dealership gave a 6 month warranty. Well its now August 2012 and its still running great at 26,000 miles and I've learned to do maintenance myself as well, oil changes, belt changes and transmission oil. It goes 45 to 50mph easily and I can push it to 55 and even 60 if its downhill when needed. People always try to convince me its reading in KM's, but its miles and I know this because its 36 miles one way to work and it logs 36.2 so its very accurate. The speedometer is not accurate however, basically your going 10mph slower than it says. When I am cruising around at 50mph, it says right at 60mph. I was excited to when I learned how to remove the front and rear wheels so I could save money on tire replacements to. I find it interesting reading through this thread and the reference to Gates belts - I had a terrible experience to. I put one on and it shredded and made a mess and left me stranded with 1800 miles. The Chinese belts last 4000 and I changed them when the manual said to and never has one shredded or failed. I've never tried the Kevlar belts though.
I buy them from a local Scooter shop in Alpharetta, GA buy my office (Monster GY6).
That is a very good endorsement. 26K miles is probably more than 90% of the Japanese/US/Euro bikes in this country. 26K miles in the ATL metro area too - not exactly a leisurely country ride.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #320
acworthpatrick
n00b

Those miles came from 3 sources mainly, 70 miles a day round trip to work 5 days a week, going to the gym most nights which is 12 miles round trip and going to my parents house almost every Saturday for dinner which is 40 miles round trip. She never gets a day off.

Well until I got the Automoto a few months ago
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #321
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Well scooter is still alive and well. I have had to clean the pilot jet out again. This scooter hates ethanol with a passion. It must be run weekly. I kinda need a rear wheel but they are asking too much on eBay. Just riding it a bit bent. Railroad tracks did it in.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #322
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Well scooter is still alive and well. I have had to clean the pilot jet out again. This scooter hates ethanol with a passion. It must be run weekly. I kinda need a rear wheel but they are asking too much on eBay. Just riding it a bit bent. Railroad tracks did it in.
My Helix is the same way. I had to start putting stabil Ethanol treatment in it and that was with a Honda Shop Rebuilt carb. My China Big Rucklone hasn't had a issue yet with it but when I started using it in the Helix I started using it in the Rucklone.

I have a 5 gallon gas jug that I measure the Stabil Ethanol into it and fill it with mid grade. That way it always is ready to go and metered out for both bikes.

Give Brent at Fenton Power Sports and see if he has a rear wheel for you. He usually has great prices. He is closed until the 6th of Feb though for some downtime. http://www.fentonpowersports.com/
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #323
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post
My Helix is the same way. I had to start putting stabil Ethanol treatment in it and that was with a Honda Shop Rebuilt carb. My China Big Rucklone hasn't had a issue yet with it but when I started using it in the Helix I started using it in the Rucklone.

I have a 5 gallon gas jug that I measure the Stabil Ethanol into it and fill it with mid grade. That way it always is ready to go and metered out for both bikes.

Give Brent at Fenton Power Sports and see if he has a rear wheel for you. He usually has great prices. He is closed until the 6th of Feb though for some downtime. http://www.fentonpowersports.com/
Thanks. I will go the stabil route too. The ethanol has killed 1 weedeater and 1 lawnmower already.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #324
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,409
My 2008 Chinese 250 scoot has never had clogged jet issues, if anything little carb-icing in the colder months.
Once I get engine started, I keep the throttle open slightly for 15-20 sec, the engine stays idle as it should.
13,460 mi. on it so far, never had to clean the jets.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #325
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Thanks. I will go the stabil route too. The ethanol has killed 1 weedeater and 1 lawnmower already.
Make sure it is the Stabil Ethanol treatment. It is greenish blue. The traditional Stabil hasn't worked with the new ethanol fuels for me.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #326
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
Nice to hear the Chinese scooter is still running. I am seriously considering getting one, though it would be a newer model. There is a place here called Performance Scooter that still sells them for around $900 assembled and ready to go. I'd just like to see how long I can keep it going. I not only don't mind working on things, I actually like to. I am a perfectionist, and can usually find a way to improve almost anything. Chinese scooters are definitely better now than they were 10-12 years ago, when I had a part time job on Saturdays uncrating and setting them up for a local shop. They were mostly Tank brand, and were literally falling apart in the crate. There was almost always broken pieces of plastic and aluminum, and a few bolts and screws on the bottom of the crate. I don't think I ever saw one that did not have cracks in the bodywork. Everywhere a screw went into plastic was cracked.

Chinese scooters are not the same as most bikes from the '50s and '60s. Many of them, including Harley and British bikes were unreliable, but they were made out of pretty decent metal. The Chinese seem to use some kind of what is commonly known as "pot metal" It is very soft, threads strip out easily, and it also cracks easily. Also their welds are TERRIBLE. I could do better, though I suppose it is not easy to weld that thin soft metal without burning it through.

Somebody mentioned the Kymco Super 8, which looks a lot like a Chinese scooter, but is much higher quality. I think it is a great deal for $2500. Unfortunately, though it is called a 150, it is technically not freeway legal here, as it's actual displacement is only 149cc. It would be just my luck to get stopped by a cop that would bust me for that one lousy cc.

About the oil, DEFINITELY change it every 1000 miles. These small engines don't hold hardly any oil to begin with, and it gets dirty fast. And use 20w50 if it is hot, like it is here in Phoenix in the summer (115 degrees plus, and that is measured in the shade) I have a Zuma 125, a Vino 125, an XT225, and recently had a Rebel 250. I always change the oil in these small bikes every 1000 miles, but I use standard non synthetic Castrol GTX car oil. So far so good, the Vino just passed 25,000 miles and still runs like new. I'm expecting it to make it past 50,000 miles. I just put the third belt on it.Valves have been adjusted once. It eats rear tires, but I'm on the heavy side and always carry stuff with me, so that is really kind of expected. Those little 10" tires turn fast. I don't ride it much since getting the Zuma.

Ethanol is BAD for ALL engines. Unfortunately is is all there is in this nazi state. Unless you want to get racing fuel or avgas, and that won't work on trips. I found the "marine" grade Stabil works fairly well, it's what I have in my XT225, which only gets ridden every few weeks, though I do start it up, warm it up, and ride it a mile or so once a week to prevent deterioration.

Anyway, thanks for all the information. If I get one of these things, I will do everything listed here and probably a few other things as well.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #327
cheap bastard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
PM me. Maybe I can help you out.
cheap bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #328
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294

I wish it was bigger but it still gets me home at the end of the day.
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #329
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by acworthpatrick View Post
2010 Kaitong Boccia
Some interesting "won't turn off" videos related to this model . . a continuity issue with a jumper in a connector plug (perhaps for an optional alarm system).

tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #330
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
wish it was bigger
In the context of engine displacement, Dongfang is offering some 168.9cc models . . which appear to be GY6-B 2-bolt valve cover engines with DC-CDI ignition systems. GY6-B engine part resources include ScrappyDog and PartsForScooters.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote