Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #91
Black Sheep Radical
Fusionista

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
shouldn't any "good" belt last 8000m - 12,000m under ordinary conditions
For the Helix it's inspection at 12000 miles and replace at 18000, assuming you use a genuine Honda Bando belt. I couldn't put up with 1500 miles, I'd be changing the thing every three months at that rate. That said, the original belt could well outlive the engine

Joking aside, good luck with it. I'll certainly be following this thread to see how you get on.
Black Sheep Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #92
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
I would imagine belt life has alot to do with road conditions. Dust and dirt from gravel roads are going to kill the belt faster and there is no way to prevent it. The cover is vented from the front and on the bottom.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #93
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,906
The Elite belts are twice the size of the Mao belts. Keep the speeds down and stay away from long inclines, heat kills them. Did I also say I,m 225lbs and ran the piss out of it.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #94
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oh, by the way, if the belt breaks while riding all the rollers will fall out of the ramps in the front variator requiring it to be pulled apart and reassembled.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #95
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Standard belt life on a modern Vespa is 8,000 - 10,000 miles and the OEM is better than the Kevlar.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #96
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

2 weeks and 300 miles. The negative terminal on the battery needed to be tightened up. Total cost into this purchase from pressing click is $1000. I remember when a cheap laptop was a thousand bucks not too long ago. 1999 to be exact.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #97
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,658
There's a similar one on local craigslist, '06 with 4814 miles. Seller says no problems. So maybe you'll get at least 5000 miles out of it

There's actually a few of them on CL here. If my garage wasn't maxed out I might get one just for grins...
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #98
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
There's a similar one on local craigslist, '06 with 4814 miles. Seller says no problems. So maybe you'll get at least 5000 miles out of it

There's actually a few of them on CL here. If my garage wasn't maxed out I might get one just for grins...
The seller meant he had "no problem" in deciding to sell it... LOL

You know... you can trust a Craigslist seller to tell you the truth.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #99
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I did the torture test already and it failed.I hate to say it but I loved that little piece of shit. Could'nt wait to get home from work to ride damn near every day. 1 Year, 6 thousand miles, and was on the third engine when I finally got rid of it. The drive belts would last about 1500 miles. 1st engine sent the rod thru the cases at 3500 miles,the second motor smoked from the outset and the rod started making noise at 1500 miles so I junked it and bought a 3rd that was still running fine when I sold it. I was hard on it as in WFO most of the time because most of the roads around here required it .
how much are the motors and where did you buy them? if you loved the little piece of shit it must have been fun to ride.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #100
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Well, 500 miles down and added a couple ounces of oil. I think I am going to change it at 800 miles. I still haven't decided what to do with the mirrors.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #101
SPOFF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
I remember when a cheap laptop was a thousand bucks not too long ago. 1999 to be exact.
Except $1,000 in 1999 is equivalent to $1,500 today Apples to oranges.

I remember when a CT90 was $399 brand new. But that was two month's pay. So adjusted for inflation, your China scoot would have cost $40 in 1970. Amazing what can be accomplished with slave labor.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #102
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

I purchased mine from a dealer called Cypress Motors in I believe Louisiana but I'm pretty sure they closed up. Or maybe they blocked my number after the 3rd motor. I actually ordered 2 of them because I couldn't decide which color I liked. I gave the other one to a friend of mine for rebuilding the trans in my daughters car and a couple other mechanical favors. I had a pipe on mine and rejetted it and it ran real good till it blew. My buddy put nitrous on his and he 'd whip my ass. He ended up putting a new piston and rings in it at about 1500 miles as it had lost compression probably to lean when on the juice. We had a blast on them but all we did was race each other everywhere we went. He was actually riding mine when the rod broke. We were flat out layin down on em and he was a little in front of me when it let loose and I got a front row seat of my motor disintegrating. Shit was flyin all over the road and my visor got oil all over it. We had tears in our eyes from laughin. It was about 11 pm and his wife had to bring the kids out with the minivan to load it up, she was'nt as amused as us.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #103
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Today it got a rear brake adjustment, idle speed turned up a bit and tightened the kick starter. The inspection sticker was falling off and needed to be taped on, probably the Chinese fish oil slathered on everything killed the sticker glue. It is consuming $8 a week in gas... $4 in the tank twice a week.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #104
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I purchased mine from a dealer called Cypress Motors in I believe Louisiana but I'm pretty sure they closed up. Or maybe they blocked my number after the 3rd motor. I actually ordered 2 of them because I couldn't decide which color I liked. I gave the other one to a friend of mine for rebuilding the trans in my daughters car and a couple other mechanical favors. I had a pipe on mine and rejetted it and it ran real good till it blew. My buddy put nitrous on his and he 'd whip my ass. He ended up putting a new piston and rings in it at about 1500 miles as it had lost compression probably to lean when on the juice. We had a blast on them but all we did was race each other everywhere we went. He was actually riding mine when the rod broke. We were flat out layin down on em and he was a little in front of me when it let loose and I got a front row seat of my motor disintegrating. Shit was flyin all over the road and my visor got oil all over it. We had tears in our eyes from laughin. It was about 11 pm and his wife had to bring the kids out with the minivan to load it up, she was'nt as amused as us.

Awesome.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #105
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Over 800 miles now and running good. I changed out the 10W30 and put in 20W50. It did burn some oil in 800 miles. Nothing to worry about at this point but noticeable. No leaks. There was no trash in the screen which is a good sign! I went around checking bolts and had to tighten up the center stand a bit.