Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,922
Buying, storing and selling your own motorcycle in Europe

Hey.
I'm posting this here to let you know about a service I started last fall.
After reading reports about expensive shipping rates and 100/day bike rental, I decided that there should be an option for people to come to Europe and ride their own motorcycle.
Well, almost a year later, I have given 30 people the chance to try it out for themselves. 30 bikes, zero problems, with either registering, insuring, storing or selling them.

So, what do I do?
Each case is individual. You decide your budget, the type of bike you want and with the help of the WWW and WW (wheatwhacker) you can find your own bike. www.donedeal.ie has a ton of bikes for a very reasonable price, some you can buy for less than the cost of shipping. When you find your bike, contact me and I will organize the transaction.
I will then store the bike till you arrive.

Here is how it works.
After you research me, which you should, you start looking for bikes. In the meantime, you send me a deposit of 500 euro to nail a bike when we spot a good deal. When we are both happy with the bike, I will buy the bike on your behalf. You then send the balance of the money via paypal or bank transfer.
I will get the bike prepped, or not, your choice, store it and wait for your arrival to out beautiful little country. Direct flight to Dublin are available from most cities on the east coast.
My charges:
I work this as a nonprofit. For transport, I charge my time and gas which I have rounded off to an average of 100/bike, depending on where the bike is, of course.
For storage I charge 30 euro/month. Pittance if you think of what I have spent on security but it's nice to have 10 plus bikes in your shop :)
I charge 10 euro to get the paperwork sorted.
There is no sales tax in Ireland, yet, shush.
Motosapiens handle the insurance. They are based in Bulgaria and give out "green card insurance"
That's it. I am located in Kinsale, which happens to be the most beautiful town on the planet, really, it is when the sun is out.
I am also close to Cork airport (ORK) if you don't mind the transfer in either Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam or London and don't want to spend 3 hours on a train rolling through our beautiful country.
Did I mention it was a beautiful country with the most beautiful town on the planet?

Selling. Expect to loose a little when your selling, maybe 20%, which really, on a 2000 euro bike for a one month trip is only 400 euro, or 13 euro/day, less if you stay longer, which you really should because it's a beautiful country :)

Any questions?
Ref's? Yep, I have ton's. How many do you want?
Place to stay? You can camp with me or 2km's away lies the most beautiful town on the planet, your call.
Girls? Irish girls are all Catholic, redheads and you know what they say about Catholic girls...
Beer? There are 32 bars in my local town. You need more? Cork has hundreds.
Europe? the ferry to France is 30 min's away and the one to the UK is 2.5 hours.

Lets get riding in Europe..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
that's a good one.....

not ready anytime soon, but this is exactly what i would love to see when time to make it happen.

hey martin, say hi to my friends (reville) there at wexfords.

p.s.

i have been wondering why i don't see more ride reports from you here. now i know.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,135
Wait. So, the bike is registered to you? How does that work?
Seems great, and has me thinking seriously for next summer
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I think he said I will buy the bike on your behalf.
I did this in Canada for a Belgium rider, you have the bill of sale in the riders name and just register the bike when he arrives. at least thats how it worked here and yes there is a little bit of trust involved with wireing money and putting down deposits. The rider I helped is now in Alaska and returning to my place in Canada to sell the bike after a 3 month tour. Priceless
Cal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Yes, the bike is registered in YOUR name, using my address.
Insurance is easily got as long as the bike is in your name.
No sales tax either, making buying even cheaper.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
yardageman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Martin

Martin;s services are the best. he will take care of everything for you plus is a very very nice and honest person. I bought a Honda Varadero 1000 thru Martin last April. Flew to Cork in June and had the mechanic works with install some Givi boxes and some other stuf I ordered from vendors in Europe and had it all shipped to Martin. Martin helped me do the registration and get the Isnsurance. Then I headed of to Belfast to visit friends before heading to Dublin to take the ferry to Hollyhead in the UK. Rode through 14 countries in just over 2 months and rode 10,000 miles ( Approx 17,000 Kms ). Rode back to Ireland and rode around another week basing out of Cork and Kinslip. Left the bike at Martins and flew back to the US. Now living in Merida, Mexico but will fly back to get the Bike and ride other parst of Europe for a few months. Martin does a great job in looking after my bike and making sure it is ready to go when I arrive there. A great service. Much better than renting a BIke in Europe and certainly better than shipping a Bike from the US. Thanks Martin for all of the help. Nick
yardageman is offline   Reply With Quote