Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
brokeassloser OP
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 217
Shool me on rekluse clutches

Hello one and all.

I'm working on a possible trade for a 500 EXC that has a recluse in it and have never ridden a bike equipped with one. Tell me all about them both good and bad. Any drawbacks? Anybody try one and not like it?

A little background- I'm not a particularly fast rider (but not really slow either) but have a LOT of singletrack experience spanning 25 years. I rather like the technical stuff. Steep root infested ugly narrow trails are kinda my thing so in theory a recluse sounds good but out of sheer stubbornness I've always gone on the "just learn to use the clutch" theory.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,971
You're going to like it.

We have two Rekluses in our family.

Dirty
Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,035
Had on two bikes. Best money EVER spent!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 193
Thumb Rekluse...

I have one on my Husky and love it, particularly on rocky, rutted, steep and tight trails.

Pros: Simply more control and less playin' around, feathering the clutch. You can ride in 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd on whoops and technical sections, particularly steep uphills and keep a solid left hand on your handlebar, not just a couple of fingers. Makes for a lot less forearm fatigue over the course of a long weekend of riding. You can also ride and feather your clutch as much as you want, if that's your thing --- you just don't have to, and after a little while you'll find yourself not really wanting to...

Cons: I have the EZ Start Pro, and you cannot bump-start it. This has never been a problem for me, but I guess it is a potential issue --- though after hundreds of hours on the trails, and having ridden with TONS of fellow riders, I still have het to see, or even hear about someone having to bump-start their bike... Btw, I am pretty sure that there are other Rekluse models that can be bump-started, but check on their website to confirm. 2nd "negative" is that when you are on a downhill section, when you downshift and want to use engine breaking/compression to slow you down, you counter-intuitively have to actually give it some throttle ... On a steep, wet, snotty downhill, that's the last thing you are thinking about, but you have to give it a "blip", just the smallest crack of the throttle to re-engage the engine and the compression IMMEDIATELY kicks in --- it's not really a problem, but it does take a few downhills to get used to it. Once you do, it's a no-brainer.

Overall, I love it.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
brokeassloser OP
I'll do it!!!

So if I'm reading this right after you bump the throttle and release it you have compression braking again? I can live with that. I'm pretty comfortable on the steep stuff. What about holding on a steep uphill with the engine off? am I going to freewheel backward into oblivion?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
So if I'm reading this right after you bump the throttle and release it you have compression braking again?

What about holding on a steep uphill with the engine off?

am I going to freewheel backward into oblivion?
Yes.

No.

Depends on how quickly you can get on the rear brake.

I've ridden a few bikes with autoclutches and am not interested in getting one, but I think that in a big 4 stroke like the 500 you'll see all of the upsides and few of the downsides to having one. In any case, if you hate it and pull it out, there will be a line of buyers waiting to take it off your hands.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
jasonmt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
The Rekluse Core EXP 3.0's come with a externally adjustable slave cylinder that allows you to easily adjust the clutch engagement and also adjust the clutch engagement so you can bumpstart.

jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
F250Pal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
A Rekluse clutch is the best thing in the history of ever.
F250Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
Dudsamoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Just took the plunge. I had the same questions as you and had resisted getting one. I rode a 60 mile "A" Enduro type loop in Tecate last weekend. I LOVED IT! I can't imagine ever taking it off the bike. After riding for 40 years I wondered if it would be a tough transition...It is seamless... when it helps you are glad to have it. When you don't need it it doesn't get in the way.
(2015 Husky FE501s, Rekluse Core 3.0)
Old 04-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
brokeassloser OP
I'll do it!!!

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I might like it (assuming I get the bike). If I don't like it (unlikely) you'll see it in the flea market.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I installed a Rekluse on my 350 and love it. My confidence on technical trails shot straight up with the auto clutch. But that is because my main problem is lack of confidence and I tend to hit stuff without enough momentum and end up stalling the bike and then falling over in the rocks.

My feeling is that if you stall frequently, get an auto clutch. If don't stall, don't spend the money.

After one ride with the auto clutch I decided to also add a left hand rear brake.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Never really felt the need for an auto clutch, have ridden bikes with them, but my 'Berg 450 with trials tire on it is already like cheating in Colorado's rocky gnarly terrain. I ride techy stuff fairly aggressively and well, love to line the bike up at the trouble, fingers on the clutch, blip the throttle and "burst" over the nasty stuff, much like a trials rider does. The aggression and yet finesse and control of using a clutch in these situations is a challenge I enjoy. Bonus, the 'Berg is practically stall proof.

Then I rode an auto clutch equipped WR450 with the left hand rear brake. Now that was stupid fun. Was soon backing it in all over the place with that hand brake. So much more control than a foot pedal brake. Being able to add the LHRB was quite a revelation, and that in itself is a compelling to consider getting an auto clutch for me, then I price it all out and forget about it. Don't want it that much.

Duken4evr screwed with this post 04-24-2015 at 04:16 PM
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
Dudsamoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Never really felt the need for an auto clutch, have ridden bikes with them, but my 'Berg 450 with trials tire on it is already like cheating in Colorado's rocky gnarly terrain. I ride techy stuff fairly aggressively and well, love to line the bike up at the trouble, fingers on the clutch, blip the throttle and "burst" over the nasty stuff, much like a trials rider does. The aggression and yet finesse and control of using a clutch in these situations is a challenge I enjoy. Bonus, the 'Berg is practically stall proof.
Thats what I like about the new Core 3.0. You can use the clutch if you want, I do the same thing you describe. It's when you get caught off guard with a vertical shelf or something the auto comes into it's own, just hang on and modulate the throttle.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
timeOday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Then I rode an auto clutch equipped WR450 with the left hand rear brake. Now that was stupid fun. Was soon backing it in all over the place with that hand brake. So much more control than a foot pedal brake. Being able to add the LHRB was quite a revelation, and that in itself is a compelling to consider getting an auto clutch for me, then I price it all out and forget about it. Don't want it that much.
I got a Husaberg FE570 with a Rekluse and left hand brake and it's taking a while to get used to. A thing that bothers me is not being able to pop the clutch to lift the front wheel. Now, if there is any bike that can wheelie without clutching, it's the 570. The problem is I pick up too much speed this way, because the hit from just the engine is a more gradual than dropping the clutch.

I believe this setup is popular with people riding technical rocky trails so I would like to hear what the technique for getting up ledges is.
timeOday is offline   Reply With Quote