Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #166
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Cumbacheech,

When you get a chance, please take some pictures for us--especially your mounting method for the CDI within the air box...
X2! Please post some photos, gentlemen.
Quote:
...I really like Spud's battery relocation idea. My only concerns right now are with the Zip Tie, and also the fact that my Uni air filter is within 1/2" of the CDI--I don't want that pink sticky fluid on the CDI...
Don't worry, the CDI unit won't get sticky. That air filter oil is not going to fly off the air filter, against the air flow. I haven't had any problems whatsoever after 20,000 miles of riding with this setup. Also, don't worry about the zip tie; it works great by itself. If you add velcro as well, the CDI unit is not going anywhere!
Quote:
...In the case of the relay, because the two terminal cables (one from the negative ground, the other going directly to the positive post on the battery) are so stiff, the starter relay just sits tightly on the air box shoulder--no need for Velcro or any other tie down device.

PD
You're exactly correct regarding the starter relay. If one relocates the terminals as I did, that starter relay is not going to budge. The thick wires hold it firmly in position. Mine hasn't moved after riding thousands of rough miles in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #167
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Oddometer: 148
Battery CCA

Spud, you went with the LFX09A2, which has 135 cold cranking amps, and it has done good for you in ID. The Shorai site recommends the LFX14A4, which has 210 cca. Have you had any trouble on cold weather starts? do you see any reason to pony up the extra $50 for the LFX14?
Dv
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #168
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,827
Question Shorai Alternative?

Question for Wattner - How did the SYCL battery that CW installed (page 4 of this thread) work for you? The published specs indicate that it's physically smaller than the Shorai with significant CCA capacity.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #169
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_n View Post
Spud, you went with the LFX09A2, which has 135 cold cranking amps, and it has done good for you in ID. The Shorai site recommends the LFX14A4, which has 210 cca. Have you had any trouble on cold weather starts? do you see any reason to pony up the extra $50 for the LFX14?
Dv
I don't know why the Shorai website recommends the 210cca battery, except they want to make extra profit. The stock battery has 135cca, the same as the Shorai LFX09A2. My Shorai battery cranks hard all the time, even in freezing temperatures. Based upon my experience, I would save the extra $50 and buy the Shorai LFX09A2 battery; I am very happy with mine.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #170
EXRM193
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I'm just about at the end of my mods over here in the UK.
How have you guys found the seat fits on top of the battery?? Mine seems to be a little bit raised. A gap of about 5mm between the seat and the side panels. I might re-work the plastic above the battery to see if the seat can sit a little lower. I'll post some phots when I can.
EXRM193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #171
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
Question for Wattner - How did the SYCL battery that CW installed (page 4 of this thread) work for you? The published specs indicate that it's physically smaller than the Shorai with significant CCA capacity.
Great question!!!! We had a few gremlins to exorcise... The battery kept losing power, would crank the bike for a few minutes and gave out. I swapped it for a new stock battery hoping that would fix it, but sadly no. I ended up chasing down ground wires and discovered that several grounds were on the top motor mount. I ended up taking the mount off and saw the excellent powdercoat appeared quite thick and there was grease on the bolt to prevent corrosion. I cleaned everything up really well with parts cleaner, ground the powdercoat off with a dremel and applied dielectric grease to the bolt and all mounting points, reassembled and whalla... It all worked GREAT!!!! The stock battery worked fine, but I wanted to see how the Sycle battery would function and it was night and day. The Sycle battery now turns the beast over like a stocker. CW installed a 600r head with a mechanical compression release... I let the motor spin a cycle or 2 to get fresh gas in the cylinder, get t to TDC and let the release out and she fires up instantly every time.

I say the Sycle battery is much stronger than stock and has worked great every time I use the bike (which living in S. Florida is not often...). I have maybe 500 miles on the bike since the build
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #172
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
I say the Sycle battery is much stronger than stock and has worked great every time I use the bike (which living in S. Florida is not often...). I have maybe 500 miles on the bike since the build
Thanks for the reply. This may well be my next project.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #173
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXRM193 View Post
How have you guys found the seat fits on top of the battery?? Mine seems to be a little bit raised. A gap of about 5mm between the seat and the side panels. I might re-work the plastic above the battery to see if the seat can sit a little lower. I'll post some phots when I can.
My saddle fits perfectly over the Shorai battery. However, you can trim the plastic from the saddle immediately over the battery, and you will get all the clearance you need.

Spud
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #174
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXRM193 View Post
I had to trim the round seat breather holes flush, in addition to the cross strip piece.
I went with a Ballistic brand, very pleased with the cranking power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #175
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Indeed, check the first post of this thread. You need to trim the flash off the seat's "breather" holes.

Spud
Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #176
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Oddometer: 148
On the way

My battery totally died, a LFX09AS-BS12 is on the way. Pretty excited to drop the 'growth' off my bike. Should have the new taillight on by the time it gets here...

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #177
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_n View Post
My battery totally died, a LFX09AS-BS12 is on the way. Pretty excited to drop the 'growth' off my bike. Should have the new taillight on by the time it gets here...

Good for you! It's only necessary to lengthen the wires from the tail light and rear turn signals. All the other wires are long enough.

Spud
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #178
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Would you expect I could get another .25" between the two airbox bolts? I'm going to go with the antigravity battery, but it's .25" "taller."
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #179
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Would you expect I could get another .25" between the two airbox bolts? I'm going to go with the antigravity battery, but it's .25" "taller."
I did this mod on a previous XR600 that I dropped a 650L motor into. That battery was tight so I used a hand grinder to grind out some plastic and a little metal where the bolts are.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #180
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
What i figured. What about wear on the batt body?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote