I used zip ties and filled the holes with car body filler....no problems at all
EXRM193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #212
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
Well Spud, I finally did it. I got the Antigravity brought over a few weeks ago and got it on today. The only part not done yet is securing the CDI inside the airbox. Did you just punch a few holes through the back of the box and run the zip tie through? is that your long-term solution? I'm not crazy about putting holes in that side. That's where all the dirt comes from!

How did you secure your battery down? I'm also using zip ties there, but would like a better solution so I don't have to cut them every time I want to access the battery.

Thanks!
Good for you.

I drilled two small holes in the back of the air box. I secure the CDI unit with one zip tie. The zip tie holds the CDI unit very securely, and no extra dirt enters the air box.

I secure the battery to the top of the air box with velcro. The velcro holds the battery very well, yet it is very easy to remove the battery whenever I wish.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #213
Northern Hooligan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Has anyone done this conversion, with either battery that lives in a colder climate, September / October, when the temp drops down into -5 C / 20 F for the early am rides. Any problems with starting when you are using the heated grips, aux lighting?

I want to do this conversion and make the battery box the tool box ( tire irons / tube etc etc ).

Cheers
Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #214
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

My Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery has always easily started my XR650L at temperatures slightly above freezing. However, I recommend you purchase the Antigravity 8-Cell battery, which has even more cranking power.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-801/

I have heated grips installed on my XR650L, and my Shorai battery works well with them. I haven't had any problems. Heated grips should not make your bike more difficult to start.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #215
Northern Hooligan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Thank you !!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #216
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

You're welcome.

Spud
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #217
betiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
part number

anyone got the part number for the XR600 left side panel? Numb nuts at the Honda parts counter does not understand what I need. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #218
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The left side cover for the XR600R is part #83620-MAG-A00ZB. It is shown as number 6 in the diagram below.

http://www.cyclepartsoutlet.com/fich...00&fveh=135312

Spud
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #219
betiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
thanks. i knew i could count on Spudster.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #220
penzone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I have a LFX14A2-BS12 on the way. I spent yesterday afternoon moving wiring and getting everything ready. All I need now is some velcro and a battery to drop in. Does anyone have a recommendation on a velcro brand with heavy duty adhesive backing?

I was thinking of mounting a 4-5" diameter PVC tube where the battery box was for a waterproof storage compartment. Thoughts?

XR650l - Adventure N00B
Suzuki V-Strom 1000
penzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #221
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzone View Post
I have a LFX14A2-BS12 on the way. I spent yesterday afternoon moving wiring and getting everything ready. All I need now is some velcro and a battery to drop in. Does anyone have a recommendation on a velcro brand with heavy duty adhesive backing?

I was thinking of mounting a 4-5" diameter PVC tube where the battery box was for a waterproof storage compartment. Thoughts?
Good for you. You really don't need heavy duty velcro to secure the battery to the top of the air box. I used some ordinary velcro I bought at WalMart. The battery might seem a bit loose when you first attach it to the velcro. However, the saddle applies a little pressure to the battery, which presses it firmly in place. When you remove the battery for the first time, you will discover it is securely attached to the top of the air box.

If you want a lot of storage space, you might consider keeping the battery box. If you remove the battery box and install an XR600R side cover, I doubt you will have much space behind the side cover for a PVC tube.

Spud
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #222
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
I'm way late to the party but ran across this thread from your post in the
MEGA - Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) thread.
I see a relocation in my future
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #223
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I'm way late to the party but ran across this thread from your post in the
MEGA - Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) thread.
I see a relocation in my future
I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery relocation has worked flawlessly from day number one until the present. This modification is the easiest, and the least expensive way to remove highly placed weight from the XR650L.

There are a number of good lithium batteries on the market. However, only three suitable batteries are small enough to relocate on top of the XR650L's air box.

1. Shorai LFX09A2-BS12
2. Shorai LFX14A2-BS12
3. Antigravity 8-Cell

Spud
Old 02-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #224
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,530
He lives!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #225
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
He lives!
Mark Twain was slightly misquoted, but I will also say, "the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

Spud