Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #121
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 686
new battery choice?

Hi XRL'rs,

I am thinking on the new Ballistic Performance Components battery for my relocation. http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ries/4cell.php

This is available from Parts Unlimited so your local shop can get it.

They have a 4 cell which has the same output as the Shorai LFX09A2 at 135CCA and a much smaller size at 60x60x100mm. This would require little or no modification of the top of the air box? I am not sure of the seat mods at this time....The Shorai is 58x89x114mm.

Anyone with ideas? I am going to do this anyway..... My battery box will become my tool box.

Eric
Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #122
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
might not do it cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Hi XRL'rs,

I am thinking on the new Ballistic Performance Components battery for my relocation. http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ries/4cell.php

They have a 4 cell which has the same output as the Shorai LFX09A2 at 135CCA and a much smaller size at 60x60x100mm. This would require little or no modification of the top of the air box? I am not sure of the seat mods at this time....The Shorai is 58x89x114mm.

Anyone with ideas? I am going to do this anyway..... My battery box will become my tool box.

Eric
From what I read in DirtBike mag this month you could have a problem on a cold engine. they were good cause if a little too cold they could kickstart. I'm going 8 cell when I do it.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #123
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Hi XRL'rs,

Eric
The Shorai LFX09A2 is rated a 9 amp-hours, while the EVO2 battery is rated at 8 amp-hours. However, the EVO2 battery is significantly smaller.

I am very pleased with my Shorai battery relocation; it continues to perform superbly for me. If you decide to install the EVO2 battery, please do report on it performance and durability.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #124
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Spud, do you have the individual parts from this mod?

BP
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you want to know what parts I ordered to complete this modification.

I ordered an LFX09A2-B12, Shorai battery, and a Honda, fuse box cover, part #38210-KR0-005. After I relocated the electrical components, I had the stock battery, and battery box parts left over.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #125
MuscleGarunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hey i am doing this right now. Right in the middle of the project. Instead of using zip ties I used peel and stick industrial strength velcro. I used to velcro to locate the cdi, fuse box and starter relay. I am now figuring the wiring.

Thanks for the inspiration Spud. I am thinking of drilling holes in the side panel for more airflow but not sure just yet.
MuscleGarunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #126
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you want to know what parts I ordered to complete this modification.

I
No, that, but thanks.. I was asking if you still had the take off parts from the OEM left side battery box. Bracket, box, ribber cover, etc.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #127
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleGarunt View Post
Hey i am doing this right now. Right in the middle of the project. Instead of using zip ties I used peel and stick industrial strength velcro. I used to velcro to locate the cdi, fuse box and starter relay. I am now figuring the wiring.

Thanks for the inspiration Spud. I am thinking of drilling holes in the side panel for more airflow but not sure just yet.
You're welcome, MG. I used velcro to hold my Shorai battery to the top of the air box. However, I think you have a good idea using velcro to fasten the other components. I think I will borrow your idea and use velcro to hold my CDI unit to the back of the air box.

Spud
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #128
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
No, that, but thanks.. I was asking if you still had the take off parts from the OEM left side battery box. Bracket, box, ribber cover, etc.

BP
Yes, I still have the parts I removed from my bike after performing this modification. I haven't done anything to my XR650L to prevent me from returning the bike to stock configuration. Therefore, I have kept the extra parts in case I decide to sell the bike, and the new owner wishes to re-install the stock battery box. Personally, I would never return to the heavy, bulky, stock battery box. My Shorai battery relocation is performing superbly, and I still very much enjoy this modification to my XR650L.

Spud
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #129
MuscleGarunt
Gnarly Adventurer

ITS DONE AND EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #130
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ITS DONE AND EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!

You just removed 9 pounds of unwanted "battery box tumor" from your XR650L.

Spud
Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #131
MuscleGarunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I mostly just like the look better but the 9 pounds in nice. The way the XR600 side plate just fits right on and the hole is already there under the extension just add rivets makes me awful suspicious that the XR650l uses the XR600 air box and since the XR600 has no place for a battery the folks at Honda just decided to throw it on the back so they could keep from redesigning the air box. Unimaginative lazy design. I love the bike though.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #132
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah I mostly just like the look better but the 9 pounds in nice. The way the XR600 side plate just fits right on and the hole is already there under the extension just add rivets makes me awful suspicious that the XR650l uses the XR600 air box and since the XR600 has no place for a battery the folks at Honda just decided to throw it on the back so they could keep from redesigning the air box. Unimaginative lazy design. I love the bike though.
I'm sure you are exactly correct regarding the XR650L battery box.

My bike looks better, and handles better, without the bulky air box protruding from its left hip. The bike's subframe is subjected to less punishment without the 10 pounds of airbox hammering away at it. Also, my CDI unit is cooled by the airflow inside the air box, and is subjected to far less vibration in the middle of the bike, rather than being located at the rear of the stock battery box.

Spud
Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #133
MuscleGarunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, the CDI would be cooled wouldn't it...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #134
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Interim Report: Battery Relocation Project

Hey Spud,

Thanks for all of the hard work and assistance with the necessary parts to relocate the XL battery. Today was the first day for months with mild temperatures and sunshine, so I got cracking on my project. I ran out of time (OK, sunshine--only have a Belfair garage, if you know what I mean), so I couldn't finish. I do have pictures, and will post everything tomorrow when I get done.

I made it through most of the way, and I have some initial comments.

1. There is a 20A fuse in the starter relay?? Doh! You never know what you will find until you start poking around.

2. The negative terminal cable is excessively long. Did you trim yours, or wind it around something?

3. I really like the CDI inside the air box. I know that others have criticized this location, but the air cooling effect has got to be better for it than being pounded in the battery cabinet, without air. I agree with you 100% on this. I saw your yellow zip-tie, but I didn't want to drill a hole in the aft side of the air box (water, dust could get in). I drilled a hole in the top side instead.

4. I really don't like the fuse box and the starter relay hanging out between the right side of the air box and the right side cover. The fuse box is just too close to the Supertrap. There has got to be a better solution here. I do have the Honda Genuine Parts fuse box cover, but still. I know that you have X,000 miles on this already, but don't you feel uncomfortable with these two parts??

5. I am extremely happy to get rid of the battery box. As an added bonus, it is so much easier to access the seat bolts without that silly box.

PD
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #135
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey Spud,

Thanks for all of the hard work and assistance with the necessary parts to relocate the XL battery....
You're welcome, PD.
Quote:
...Today was the first day for months with mild temperatures and sunshine, so I got cracking on my project...

I made it through most of the way, and I have some initial comments.

...The negative terminal cable is excessively long. Did you trim yours, or wind it around something?...
I didn't want to cut any wires, so I bent that wire into a loop, and stuffed the excess wire in front of the air box.
Quote:
...I really like the CDI inside the air box. I know that others have criticized this location, but the air cooling effect has got to be better for it than being pounded in the battery cabinet, without air. I agree with you 100% on this...
My original CDI unit failed at 13,561 miles. I repaired the CDI unit, re-installed it in the air box, and it has been running great for the last 15,000 miles. Others can do as they see fit, but I firmly believe the DC-CDI unit is cooled very well inside the air box, and it is certainly subject to less vibration in that location.
Quote:
... I really don't like the fuse box and the starter relay hanging out between the right side of the air box and the right side cover. The fuse box is just too close to the Supertrap. There has got to be a better solution here. I do have the Honda Genuine Parts fuse box cover, but still. I know that you have X,000 miles on this already, but don't you feel uncomfortable with these two parts??...
I have been riding my bike over 19,000 miles with the starter relay and fuse box in the location shown. I haven't had a single problem with this setup, and I don't see any reason to change things. However, if you prefer a different location, it's your prerogative to move things around.
Quote:
...I am extremely happy to get rid of the battery box. As an added bonus, it is so much easier to access the seat bolts without that silly box.

PD
Amen! Among other things, the bike is easier to clean, and the side cover is much easier to install with the "battery tumor" removed. I've never missed the battery box for one moment since I removed it.

Spud