User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
gs 100 bumble bee tire?

Bought new frt. and rear tires for a gs 100. The frt. tire is marked tubeless the rear tire says tube type. Both tires are the same model just different sizes. Is it ok to run the rear tire without a tube like the front or should I use a tube in the rear?????? The gs wheels are made to run tubeless tires b.t.w..

Backmarker screwed with this post 03-07-2011 at 10:17 AM
Backmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Here's a friendly tip: when asking questions about tires no one really cares what color the bike is. But, responders would be interested in the specific tire you purchased, esp. considering the discrepancy between the front and back as you describe.

In general, if the tire says "tube type" then run a tube. But, if you provide info on the specific tire you bought you might get responses based on experience.

For example, I've run IRC GP 110s on my GS (on the rear) and they were tube types. I've run 'em both w/ and w/out tubes. Never ran the GP 110 on the front though.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=fishkens;15339160]Here's a friendly tip: when asking questions about tires no one really cares what color the bike is. But, responders would be interested in the specific tire you purchased, esp. considering the discrepancy between the front and back as you describe.

Heres a friendly tip . When responding to a post just answer the damm question as you did in your last paragraph. No one really cares that you have an opinion as to how I should post the question.

Backmarker screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 07:08 PM
Backmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
When I order tires for my red and white GSPD , the same tires could be order in tube or tubeless. I would replace it with a tubeless, as the bead will be different.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Albino Reino
Junky

Oddometer: 680
I have a teal and black PD and have always gone tubeless. I suppose the bead on the tire would be an issue but, I always thought it was the design of the rim. The spokes are located on the outside of the wheel rather than in the middle so there is no air loss. My 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes but what I really need to know is, will that work on a yellow & black model..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
Is it ok to run the rear tire without a tube like the front or should I use a tube in the rear??????
Quote:
Cute. You'd think that someone who's failed to get an answer in 3 1/2 days would appreciate a friendly tip. But you decide to flip me off.

Classy.

fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,273
so here's a fancy thread on tires:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=shootout

....aaaand I'm gonna pretend like there's nothing awkward going on in this thread and leave. have a nice day.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,621
Quote:
Yes but what I really need to know is, will that work on a yellow & black model..
Generally, the yellow & black models use the same tires as the white/red models, the purple models, the green models, the white & blue models, and lets not forget the red models with the tire tread on the tank, especially those ones.
Of course I've seen many use other tires than ones you may see on the yellow & black models. You never can seem to pin down those yellow & black models, they can be tricky as heck. I've seen them with other types of tires before, kind of black tires, with tread all round. And surprisingly roundish.
I hope this clears up what has started out as a totally stupid question offering very little info to anyone who may have the kindness to answer.
Now go away unless you can offer Fishkens an apology and give us some basic info on the type of tires you bought so we can answer your question.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Generally, the yellow & black models use the same tires as the white/red models, the purple models, the green models, the white & blue models, and lets not forget the red models with the tire tread on the tank, especially those ones.
Of course I've seen many use other tires than ones you may see on the yellow & black models. You never can seem to pin down those yellow & black models, they can be tricky as heck. I've seen them with other types of tires before, kind of black tires, with tread all round. And surprisingly roundish.
I hope this clears up what has started out as a totally stupid question offering very little info to anyone who may have the kindness to answer.
Now go away unless you can offer Fishkens an apology and give us some basic info on the type of tires you bought so we can answer your question.

Steve
Steve. My first post asks a simple question. The color of the bike makes no difference. Why Mr. Fishkens even brought up the bike color is beyond me. Hence my responce to his attack on me for posting the color of my bike. Why is my org. post (a totally stupid question)????The type of tires I bought is in the org. question (frt. tubeless,rear tube type) both the same model. By post # 6 the color was a joke..
Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
gronk
HIGH ANGLE RIGGER

Oddometer: 342
My Camo ride's on Bullet proof run flats while riding in war zones.
gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,449
my gs is flat black, what the hell tires should I use??!!
BTW, I see nothing wrong with the original question.
I've actually wondered about that as well, what the actual difference is between tube and tubeless. maybe a small difference in bead design to hold air better? it can't be to hold the tire on the rim better, the tire really doesn't care if it has a tube inside it or not, the air pressure pushing against the inside of the tire will still be the same, tube or no tube.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

btw, Mr. fishkens gave you the benefit his tire mounting experiences in post 2 ... which you seem to have missed.

[/QUOTE] Nah, didnt miss it I acknowledged it in post #3 before I gave him the adv salute.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
my gs is flat black, what the hell tires should I use??!!
BTW, I see nothing wrong with the original question.
I've actually wondered about that as well, what the actual difference is between tube and tubeless. maybe a small difference in bead design to hold air better? it can't be to hold the tire on the rim better, the tire really doesn't care if it has a tube inside it or not, the air pressure pushing against the inside of the tire will still be the same, tube or no tube.
As far as I can tell both beads appear to be the same. I think I"m going to install a rear tube just to be safe. However I would like to know why the tire manufacturer requires a tube in the rear but not the front of the same tire. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Ullr
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
Why not just tell us what tires they are? You just might get a good answer.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote