Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #31
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
The weather looks ok for the weekend so I'm planning to bring the bike over, that will give us a source of known good parts to swap in if there are any tricky problems to diagnose.
Sweeeeeet... you can always catch a bus home if we can't get yours back together.

Quote:
Any tools required apart from the basics?
Umm not that I can think of.. I have a resonable selection of basic tools and can borrow odd stuff. If we really need summink Supercheap, Repco or Bunnings are only 5 min away.

Eer... I can't find my multimeter anywhere, so If you have one handy I'd appreciate if you could bring that over just in case we try chasing leccy gremlins.

See you 2moro
kiwipeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #32
The third Amigo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Keep up the good work

Proud of you lill bro, keep up the good work.
Help yourself to the tool cupboard.
The third Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #33
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

whoa what a weekend.

Well I can honestly say I've had a bloody fantastic weekend

We got a whole heap of work done on the bike and made more progress than I dared to hope.

The plan for the weekend: Get the bike started.

It started on Saturday morning, I ducked to Repco and got some more oil, expecting we'd be topping up the bike to get it started, and all going well giving it an oil change. I got home and watched the rain, waiting for Clint to arrive... when a courier van pulls up and hands me this:

Woohooo!!!! My new radiator, fan, mount and rad hoses...

Isn't that a thing of beauty?

Timing is everything aint it? The parts arrived about 30 min before a soggy looking biker.

Clint has come all the way from Rotorua for the weekend just to give me a hand firing up the 640. What a champ!

We started with a coffee and bit of standing around sizing up where to start, and then is was time to bust out the spanners and get down to business. Clint is a demon at swinging a spanner. he's like a tazzy devil with a rachet in one hand and hex bit in the other.

Before we started adding the new parts Clint whipped the inspection caps off and checked the valve clearances. All good, no adjustment needed.

Within a few minutes we had the new radiator in place, Battery bolted back in, filled with water, just about ready to go...

We set the tank up on a table and joined up some fuel hose so it coul reach. We also connected the dash back on so we could see what was going on.

I turned the key on and the dash lights up. This was the first time it's had power for 10 months. The first thing I see is the odometer...

After getting a few snaps to record it, we turned the motor over for a while without the spark plug to circulate the oil and water.

The plug went back in, and with a bit of extra help with some jumper leads... and just on 2:00pm... this:

It was about here we stopped for a celebratory beer or 2.

We were doing well so far, and had reached the first goal... I had honestly expected (and was prepared) for it to take us most of the weekend just to get it running, instead we had it going in a few hours. So what now? ok... New plan: Give it an oil and filter change.

We ran the bike on the stand let it heat up, and ran it in gear to stir up any gunk in the gearbox. Once we got 4 bars on the temp guage we shut her off and dropped the oil. and started doing an oil change. Ye gods... 2 filters, an oil screen, 2 sump plugs a drain plug in the bottom of the frame and another filler plug at the top. (who the hell thought up that system?)

With the oil and filter change done, we started it again and rechecked the oil level. It quicky settled into a smooth idle and sounded and felt really good.

Ok, so we've got it running and given it an oil and filter change... now what...

The new plan: get it rolling under it's own steam... and get in a few quick laps around the house.

So... we need to start bolting bits back on. We installed the new radiator fan and mounts, as well as fitting the tank bracket and mounting the tank properly.

Once we had run out of loose bits, we started on straightening the front end while emptying a few more beer bottles.

After dinner and several more beers we went back out to the shed and carried on straightening up the front end. We unbolted the triple clamps and reset the forks. All good, but the bars still wouldn't sit quite right.

We decided to remove one of the the sets of bars risers and found that one of the main bolts to hold the handle bars had a big bend in it. We thumped it back into line, shortened them by 20mm and bolted the bars back up. loosen adjust and rest hand guards, levers and controls. And hey presto. 1 straight front end... That was easy..now what?

We thought we'd have a crack at the front subrame. A bit of tweak here and there with a crow bar and some serious leverage using a honking great big sash cramp we managed to pull the front almost into line.

We got the right hand side to line up with the tank bracket, and almost had the left hand side whenl.. crack... we snapped the subframe....

Ahh well i've got a new one coming anyway.

At this point, we'd pretty much run out of bits to bolt on and were pretty beat and all that drinking has worked up a thirst. So we decided to call it quits for the night and go and have... some more beer..

At the end of saturday night, we left her looking like this:

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-03-2011 at 09:41 PM
Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #34
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Sunday...

It took a while to get moving this morning... was feeling a bit seedy... maybe one of the beers was off. But not sure if its was the Carlsberg, Tui, Fursty Ferret, Black sheep, Old peculiar, Krombachers or the Emersons Porter...

Back out in the shed, we checked over yesterdays handy work... pretty good. Hmm what do we do now. We look at the rear subframe which is miles out... and we decide to have a go at straightening it.

Clint says, "Well.. we can pull it apart again, or while it's in one piece we can start her up so you can have a ride on it... what do you want to do?"

The answer:

It went really well (that's steam not smoke) but I was a bit worried about these marks it was leaving on the driveway

Might have something to do with this:

I'm stoked. I can't believe things have gone so well.

Back in the shed we decide to have a crack at the rear subframe. The rear of the subframe is bent and pushed about 2-3 inches to the left.

With the cunning use of a 3 metre long 4x2" and some clamps, we got the worst of the bends out... Here 2 actors try to recreate the action shot.

It was better but still not right, so we kept at it with sash clamps, bottle jacks, pieces of wood, hammers and liberal doses of grunting and swearing.

We took it off and put it back on a couple of times and kept working at it, until eventually we got to here.

We noticed it had cracked again near the same point Mike had welded it. It's a common failure on Adventures, so we'll get that sorted.

We unbolted it again so I can get it welded and braced properly

And After 2 days of swinging spanners this is where we have left it.

So hopefully this week, I'll get the subframe welded, and braced, and try repairing the headlight.

Once the next parts arrive I'll start reassembling the bike and getting it into a warrantable condition.

The next goal is to get it inspected, certified, warranted and rego'd.

A big thank you to Clint for his help, knowledge, expertise and can-do attitude. It was such a huge help to have him here. It would have taken me a week to gingerly tinker my way around what he got done in a couple of hours.

He literally dismantled 70% of the bike with 2 pocket sized tools. I reckon he could single handedly butcher an elephant with a teaspoon.

Cheers mate I owe ya.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-03-2011 at 06:36 PM
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #35
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The third Amigo View Post
Proud of you lill bro, keep up the good work.
Help yourself to the tool cupboard.
Hey fulla. How the hell did you come up with that name?

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-03-2011 at 01:35 PM
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #36
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Cheers mate I owe ya.
Hardly Tinkering with bikes in the shed, yarning about riding & being fed lots of tasty beer & food is one of the best ways to spend a rainy weekend When can we do it again?

This is what you want to do to that subframe:

The zigzaggy bit on the tool case holder may be a little excessive, but definitely drill a few holes in the ribs as it's a great place to store a stash of zip-ties.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?

clintnz screwed with this post 04-03-2011 at 03:47 PM
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #37
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
This is what you want to do to that subframe:
Sweet, i'll print that and take it with me to the welders.
A picture speaks a thousand words and much better than doing this:
Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #38
Cromagnon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
this thread makes for some good reading
Cromagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #39
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Learning curve...

Well i've had a busy morning on the phone and running about at lunch time.

I dropped the subframe and panniers with a panelbeater/welder, and I started looking into the certification/inspection process for getting the bike road legal.

Before I can get a rego/warrant of fitness, I need an engineers certificate because it's been accident damaged, and the brakes certified because it's imported.

Ideally the engineer to certify it should have seen it before I started working on it. And then he would tell me what needs to be fixed. So he's coming around tommorrow morning to take some 'before' snaps.

I also need the brakes inspected by a bike shop. They are required to measure the rotors & pads and give it a fluid change. I can't just take the parts to them, they need to see it working. So the bike needs to be rolling/running to do that.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-03-2011 at 09:46 PM
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #40
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,062
Do they officially know it's broken?
As it was a model series that was officially imported it shouldn't be a problem?

My Nordie was de-reged due to a supposedly bent frame but it wasn't mentioned on the official record so I had no problem re-vinning.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #41
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Is it an NZ bike originally?

My Nordie was de-reged due to a supposedly bent frame but it wasn't mentioned on the official record so I had no problem re-vinning.
Nope, it's from the UK, and technically they don't even know it's gone, let alone damaged. The engineer seems like an amicable bloke, so will see how we go tommorrow.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 04:42 AM
Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #42
The third Amigo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question Nick name

Well.. you have Kiwipeet and Kiwirob already. I was thinking of kiwigary or kiwigaz. But im in oz not nz, It looked like to many kiwipeetrobgary's in one place, kind of three amigo ish.....Then it hit me. That'll do. The third Amigo.

Id like to say a Huge thanks to Clint for helping out my lill brother. Man you cant believe how much I wanted to be in on this. Ive never felt so home sick. To see dad in there as well.... Bummer.....I miss that stuff.

Did I say Im proud of you and your effort to get Mike rolling again. Im waiting for the day I Him on the back wheel somewhere safe...(I wouldnt condone the extension..) but you need something better than the drive.

Till next time, keep up the great work, im lovin the pictures and story
The third Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #43
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Sooo... I've got a broken headlight... one side costs $89US to replace the other costs $183US to replace... guess which one is broken

I stood there looking at it thinking... "What would Macguyver do?... and then I thought.. "screw Macguyver... what would Mikey do?"

Well.. he'd bodge it back together of course...

And so i've spent several hours tinkering in the shed tonight with knead-it putty trying to fix the headlight bracket.

I made up a splint out of old plastic bottles and wedged it in place with paper. Then started building up the broken parts with knead-it.

I had knead it, duck tape, old plastic and scrunched up newspaper... but i felt like I needed something else... hmmm aha!!! cable ties!!!

After a couple of minutes it's hard enough to sand. It's not finished but it's getting there.

I think Mike would approve. I don't think it could have been more Mikey-compliant without somehow incorporating a cornish pastie...

After a few hours of arsing about I thought.. err hang on.. this better be worth the effort. So i stopped and tested the headlight to make sure it was actually working.

sweet... 10:30... time to pack it in.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 09:39 PM
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #44
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,455
Keep up the good work Pete
Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #45
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Bluhduh Hhhmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet
The engineer seems like an amicable bloke, so will see how we go tommorrow.
Engineer was happy enough.. but didn't like the dings in the front rim. It will need to be replaced before I get it certed.

I need to show receipts for anything and everything that is replaced...

So.. I have ordered an Excel rim from Woodies. I was going to do it anyway, but now the repair process (getting a Cert>Reg>Wof) will be dependant upon the wheel.

In the mean time (Fingies x'd) I will still be able to get the brakes inspected as-is.