User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #76
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 2,968
Laugh

Last night I got the bike back into 1 piece-"ish".

The headlights took a couple of attempts to install because:
1: you must preassemble the headlights onto the bracket before bolting to the subframe, and
2: The bracket wouldn't fit because I was trying to install it backwards

Dad and a mate (Vaughan) lent some extra pairs of hands and helped provide the necessary amounts of swearing required to install/uninstall/re-install the fairing.

And about by about 10:00pm She's just about in on piece and ready for inspection, I forgot to screw the side panels on and bolt the seat down.

Edit: Inspectagadget actually wanted the bike down at his workshop to measure steering head angles etc..

So at lunch time today I ripped home and frantically bolted missing bits and pieces to the bike... side panels... oh crap no wing mirror...found one done.. The seat goes on.. fuel lines aren't on tank... done.. Petrol? find a splash of petrol in the mower can... cable tied the old number plate on for appearances... oh shit no bash plate.. too bad don't need it.. Dogh! the back tyre is half flat... find a compressor to inflate tyre... is that it? phew!!! oh shit battery is half flat... Find the jumper cables.. Sparked her up and we're off!

And so, although it was unplanned and completely unexpected.. today I rode the 640 down the road... for the first time...

Lots going through my mind as it head down the road, but after a few blocks I start to think about where I am what im doing and how the bike is goig. My first impressions: Shit. Mike wasn't kidding when he told me it vibes.. and geez it's tall. Taller than either my old 950 Adv or 950SM.

But I got to the workshop without any dramas, and dropped her off. Fingies x'd it'll pass inspection without any hiccups.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 03:26 PM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #77
Brother Gav
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great stuff Pete.

Well done fella. I hope you have less red tape to go through than I did with the Triumph. Good job.
Brother Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #78
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Thumb

I picked up the Bike again last night... with a piece of paper saying... It passed the engineers repair inspection!!!!

So.. tommorrow she's booked in for certification, reg and wof. (fingies x'd.)

Tonight i'll be in the shed again tinkering and tidying up, maybe even a bit of a wash/polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Gav View Post
I hope you have less red tape to go through than I did with the Triumph.
Yeah... I'm preparing for the worst. I'm going to see him today and show him what paper work I have, and see if he's happy with what i've got. Otherwise tommorrow I might be made to jump through the same hoops you did.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 04:46 AM
Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #79
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,196
Great stuff! Good luck with the rest of the paperwork.

We are planning a Waioeka-Matawai-Motu ride on Sunday if yer keen.

Cheers

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #80
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Great stuff! Good luck with the rest of the paperwork.

We are planning a Waioeka-Matawai-Motu ride on Sunday if yer keen.

Cheers
Yep sounds good (assuming the bike passes tommorrow), I'm keen.

Weather isn't looking too flash but hope to do some shake-down testing on Saturday... as opposed to shake to bits..

(must remember to pack some tools, cable ties, locktite, jumper cables etc etc )
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #81
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Last minute dramas

Last night I thought we'd have a leisurely few hours pottering in the shed

I dug out the rear footpegs, which I am told are required for cert.. and bolted those up, while Dad added the bash plate. The battery seems to be holding a charge so no problem there. Found the other wing mirror and adjusted them so I could actually see out of them.

All good, just thought we'd adjust the headlights. The guy at the testing station said they'd do it but thought id just get it in the ball park first. It's about 10:00pm.. we'll just do this and then we'll lock up and head inside for a coffee...

Turn lights on, high beam beam pretty good, low beam... thats a funny pattern... a bit more tinkering... err they really doesn't look right... the cut-off in the low beam light pattern is shining vertically up the shed door instead of nicely across it..

The more we look at it the more it looks wrong...

The front lens is on correctly.. it's not the bulb, then dad mentions "there's a line on the inner lens..." The low beam pattern-cutoff is set in the rear lens not the front one.

Then I realise my mistake... when I glued the lens housing back together I glued the back half to the collar 90 degrees out... and I used a metric ton of Araldite...

Not happy. Not a happy bunny at all...

So it was rally-team-fixit-bush-mechanic-lets-get-out-the-big-hammers time

We pulled off the fairing, and pulled the lights out, removed the low beam. It was about now I regretted doing such a great job glueing it together, because the join between the housing and the mounting collar is not moving. Nup. There's no-way, it's going no-where, no-how.

Time for a Bodgey fix. Rotate the front lens to orient it correctly with the back lens. Yep we can do that so I pry the front lens out with a screw driver, but now the mounting tabs are in the wrong place. Because now the collar is 90 degrees out..

Solution: Cut one mounting tab off the collar, and glue it further around. Out with the dremel and hacksaw and the last bit of knead-it putty and reattach the tab in the new location. Gave the putty a few minutes to set (geez ya gotta love that stuff ) and re-glued the front lens back in. This time only using half a metric tonne of araldite...

Once it was hard enough to work with, we started reassembling. Headlight in bracket, Headlights & bracket back on bike, wiring reconnected, fairing back on. By about 11:30 we had it back in one piece, with the headlight running and roughly adjusted to where it needed to be.

Piece of cake really...

kiwipeet screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 03:42 AM
Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #82
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

This morning...

We dropped the bike to VTNZ with all the paper work.

Will find out at lunch time if it has passed cert and has reg/wof or not.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #83
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Thumbs down Not so fast...

I went down at lunch time and the bike isn't certified. Apparently we have some "paperwork issues".
It seems the MAF inspector didn't fill in the required paperwork when it was inspected in Auckland.
I've been told they're working on it, and to come back at 5:00.

Otherwise my side is all good, and the bike has squeaked through inspection. A couple of minor technical details were quietly pointed out to me that they definately did not notice... ... but would appreciate it if I did notice them and sort them out. Not least of which is a fuel leak and a fuel hose melting on the exhaust header.

They said the only thing that hadn't been done was the brake test. Which they looked a bit nervous about (both shortarses). So I said while im here, howsabout I do the test for you? They seemed happy (more like releived) for me to do that for them.

So I performed the time honoured technical procedure of doing a skid for them... leaving a nice black stripe across thier nicely painted floor.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 06:25 PM
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #84
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Laugh Mikeys Bikey is on the road

as of 40 minutes ago... I've got a rego plate and a WOF

Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #85
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
The paint shaker lives!
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #86
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Well done that team...

And luv'n the new Avatar...seriously cool

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #87
draincleaner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Draincleaner

Bloody fantastic.
Thanks to Dad, Clint, Jess, Customs, Maf, VTNZ, and all the other bods that helped out with advice, parts and useless coments, just to liven things up. You have now earned your bangers and bread with tomato sauce.
Cheers to all Trev
draincleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #88
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Great news!

and to all those that helped, especially clint and yer dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #89
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Thumb

There are a lot of people who i'd like to thank for helping in lots of little (and no so little) ways to get Mikeys bike running and back on the road again.

Firstly Hans and Simon for securing the bike and making contacts in Gabon. You guys had more than enough to deal with at the time and yet you still managed to help me out. Without those first important steps the bike could have ended up anywhere.

To Trev, Leonie, Nath, Gav and Cath who between you all have most graciously allowed me to have the bike and fix it up. Not only have you provided those vital letters and documents I needed but more important to me has been your approval and support to make this happen.

NZ Customs office for showing considerable compassion and understanding and being absolute stars helping us get through the process with a minimum of fuss.

My Mum & Dad, brother and sister and especially my partner Jess, who have been supportive and helpful and put up with my impatience and bloody mindedness about doing this.

To all the freinds, family and ADVer's from around the world who have offered advice, encouragement, helped to find parts and even offered to lend me pieces to make it happen ( Steve, Vaughan, Kelly, MacGuyver and LukasM, Warewolf just to name a few.), Thank you.

There's been lots of vendors, tradies, freight companies, engineers, inspectors and suppliers involved, but 2 deserve a special mention. Firstly AGS Frasers for getting the bike From Gabon to NZ via Belgium, France and Columbia, and Woodies Wheel Works for building a wheel in 24 hours and getting it from the US to me in NZ in about 4 days.

And lastly there are a few people who deserve a very special thanks, because they went to such great lengths to help out a complete stranger.

Firstly Clint from Rotorua who rode to Gisborne in the rain to help me get my bike started. He brought his bike in case we needed to pinch parts off it to get mine running. We've only met a couple of times but I feel like we've been mates for years.

And last of all, A kiwi working in Gabon named Tim Barry (and his partner Candice) who by chance met Simon and Hans and helped to get Mike home to his family and loved ones, and then went above and beyond the call of duty to transport, store and crate the bike, chase contacts and eventually get it on it's way to me. Mate, there just aren't enough words to express my gratitude. But i'll start with: Me casa su casa.

For all of you who have helped, supported, encouraged and been part of this project; I took this photo for all of you. I hope you like it.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 02:53 AM
Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #90
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Thumb Tommorrow... I'm off for a ride.

I'm meeting Clint tommorrow at Matawai, and we're going to do the Motu Road.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 12:51 AM