Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #46
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,483
Check ALL the bulbs. One bad bulb can knock the whole system down.
The HI/Lo/Horn switch is an evil thing. It's old and cranky. DISCONNECT the battery and GENTLY check the switch for bad things. It can easily melt the 4 wire harness to the bucket and cause further damage in there as well...don't ask me how I know this.
Try turning the light switch to the left, rather than the right. If your problems go away, then you'll know that your switch contacts in the main switch are going funky.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #47
65bmwr50 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
light switch...

I have removed the switch from the system and I still have a short... I'm starting to wonder about a voltage regulator or something going bad. Anybody have problems like that?

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. - G. K. Chesterton
65bmwr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #48
65bmwr50 OP
Studly Adventurer

Bluhduh It's the voltage regulator...

If I insulate both contacts on the voltage regulator my short disappears. Is there a way to repair or am I stuck replacing?

BTW, Mr. Fumble Fingers (me) dropped the headlight and broke the filaments. 1 step forward. 15 steps backward.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. - G. K. Chesterton
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #49
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Yes...It's your voltage regulator.

Choose wisely, Grasshopper...
I had the modern solid state regger on the bike when I got it. It worked for a while then crapped out... took the wiring harness with it...
Ray Becker installed a good used mechanical original, and it works like it should.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #50
65bmwr50 OP
Studly Adventurer

Voltage regulator

I order the one recommended by Vech, so we'll see. It will be nice to get things working so I can ride it!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #51
65bmwr50 OP
Studly Adventurer

Finally...

I finally got time and installed the new voltage regulator. Problem solved. I took her out for about 20 miles today. If I rrrroooolllll beyond 1/3 throttle all is fine. If I roll in to fast it starts sputtering and backfiring. Obviously a fueling issue. The plugs are showing a rich condition. Both headers show a nice golden color. Any thoughts?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #52
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

The golden color is great. That means it's good used and it's not running too hot. Running too lean will get it too hot resulting in blued pipes. They can handle a lot of abuse, but overheating is not good.
So!
Your jets are adjusted at 1-1/2 - 2 turns out?
Both your slides lift at the same time?
She starts well?
Timing is on?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #53
65bmwr50 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
The golden color is great. That means it's good used and it's not running too hot. Running too lean will get it too hot resulting in blued pipes. They can handle a lot of abuse, but overheating is not good.
So!
Your jets are adjusted at 1-1/2 - 2 turns out?

Yep, double checked them both.

Both your slides lift at the same time?

I will double check, but there isn't any reason I can think of that they shouldn't be.

She starts well?

Second kick cold or hot.

Timing is on?

On.

Appreciate the assistance. Life has gotten VERY crazy around here.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #54
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Are BOTH plugs firing?
It really sounds like you're only running on one..
It'll start and run one one cylinder...very poorly.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #55
65bmwr50 OP
Studly Adventurer

Yep, both cylinders are firing. However, I pulled the wire on the right jug and it slowly runs down and stops. If I turn up the the idle screw to where it will idle only on the left, when I reconnect the right I now have an idle at about 2500. I can even start it with only the left jug when I have the idle turned up like this.

I checked the compression just as a shot in the dark and may have found a problem. The left jug has about 90 psi It holds there at least over about 5 minutes. The right has about 115. I am almost afraid to ask this question, Is this the culprit?

What sucks is that it doesn't use oil, doesn't blow any smoke. I do have a tiny little bit of oil coming out of the breather.

I'm just throwing things out there. Maybe something will mean something.