ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,237
Anybody in ATL got a KLR doohickey tool I can borrow?

The cam chain on a buddy's '04 KLR650 seems to be slipping but we can't get to the sprocket without removing the rotor bolt. I've got his bike in Smyrna (NW corner where 285 hits 75). This is the only form of transportation he's got right now so it's pretty important that he gets it on the road soon. I'm free all week so if I could swing by and borrow it we'd really appreciate it.

Also, I'm not a KLR guy. If anybody has any advice on this I'm all ears thanks!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
I got the tools in Dalton.

Videos on Youtube.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Tools in Woodstock

Gotta training meeting all day tomorrow, might not be able to lend till the evening, but I gots the tools too.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
I will be as far south as Cartersville on Friday. Do you want to bring them that far?

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

thanks! I'm hoping to pull the rest of it apart tomorrow. An inmate on the east side might have one tomorrow. If it doesn't work out I'll send ya'll a PM.

Thanks a lot, btw. I've been telling him he ought to get on ADV because there are so many good folks on here. I think the 4 minute response time convinced him.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

thanks for the wrench, Phil. I really appreciate the offer, phideaux. Ya'll are doing ADV proud.

Here's what we found:

The balancer chain snapped. He noticed an odd vibration but thought it was related to some work we did last week...so he's been riding it like that for a week.

A chunk of chain finally broke off the bolt holding the cam chain tensioner's rubbing block. The cam chain skipped a few teeth and the bike died on the freeway. The damage: the balancer sprocket's chewed up a bit and the bolt holding on the balancer chain guide snapped off taking part of the engine block with it.

As bad as all that sounds I think we'll have it on the road with a new balancer chain and some clean-up. The crank bearings have some scars but they roll. The balancer sprocket's got 2 bad teeth but with some Dremeling I think it'll hold. It doesn't seem like the cam chain jumped so much that he bent a valve. Eagle Mike says they have a "work around" for the busted balancer guide. He said they generally snap along with the chain and he's had good luck with a patch job.

He's got to order some parts and then we'll button it up and see what happens. I should have your wrench back to you in a few weeks depending on shipping, Phil. Thanks again to both of ya for all the help!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
thanks for the wrench, Phil. I really appreciate the offer, phideaux. Ya'll are doing ADV proud.

Here's what we found:

The balancer chain snapped. He noticed an odd vibration but thought it was related to some work we did last week...so he's been riding it like that for a week.

A chunk of chain finally broke off the bolt holding the cam chain tensioner's rubbing block. The cam chain skipped a few teeth and the bike died on the freeway. The damage: the balancer sprocket's chewed up a bit and the bolt holding on the balancer chain guide snapped off taking part of the engine block with it.

As bad as all that sounds I think we'll have it on the road with a new balancer chain and some clean-up. The crank bearings have some scars but they roll. The balancer sprocket's got 2 bad teeth but with some Dremeling I think it'll hold. It doesn't seem like the cam chain jumped so much that he bent a valve. Eagle Mike says they have a "work around" for the busted balancer guide. He said they generally snap along with the chain and he's had good luck with a patch job.

He's got to order some parts and then we'll button it up and see what happens. I should have your wrench back to you in a few weeks depending on shipping, Phil. Thanks again to both of ya for all the help!

Brad, it was good to see you again today, and meet Mike. There is no hurry with the wrench. I hope to not need it again anytime soon.

That is quite the mess in Mike's KLR. It's amazing that no more damage was done and that Eagle Mike may have a work around. Were you able to speak with him about the valves yet? I'm guessing that 1/4" clearance on those intake valves is a little too much? LOL I hope bent valves are all that is damaged and not the piston or other internals. I look forward to hearing the progress.

Please call if I can help!

Philip
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote