Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #136
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Sheesh! And I thought the swingarm was the weak link on the G650X !
I guess any cast aluminum bits are suspect - or maybe the engine mounts took a direct hit...

I know how you feel man!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #137
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
The bus trip back home was relatively uneventful after the Tijuana border tango. We crossed into California at about 10:00 pm Friday and arrived back to winter in Kamloops on Sunday at about 9:00 AM.

While the rest of the gang was ready to unload and stuff like that, I made a beeline to my truck for a trip to the hospital to get a 45th opinion on my ankle injury.
I grabbed my essentials duffle , gave Wayne a ride home, and headed to the emergency ward.
Parking my truck in the lot was easy enough, as was limping down to the line-up in the "Emerge"..... a misnomer if there ever was one !!!

Shifting from foot to foot for what seemed like too long (15 minutes...the longest period of time I had been on my feet since twisting my ankle 10 days earlier...) and with no wheelchairs in sight to use, I finally made it to desk+nurse #1 only to be shuffled to desk+nurse #2....the necessary paperwork was done and I was given some copies to take down the hall to a destination which fokking did not correspond with the nurse#2's directions !!!

Maintaining my remarkable jovial attitude...... I finally found the right door which did not open and I found a set of chairs in the appointed but well camouflaged waiting area...

I visited with the elderly couple sitting there, listened to another guy explain BS to them about the condition of the planet....and after 1/2 hour , was invited into the part of the Emerge where stuff got done.

Explaining the situation with my ankle, I was asked to sit and wait for an x-ray....

About an hour later I was offered a wheelchair to go and get the x-ray....that was all easy enough, and I was wheeled back to sit for another hour before an intern looked at the x-ray and hummed and hawed/

I asked if I could look at it too....and, while he was not too protective of his domain, he turned the monitor so I could see what my ankle and leg looked like....

"Oh!!!", I thought....

"THAT'S WHY MY ANKLE HURTS..."

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 03:01 PM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #138
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Dont think side saddle woulda helped after seeing the x-ray
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #139
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

I went into surgery at about 8:00 pm. Rather than having a general anesthetic due to the fact I have sleep apnea (anesthetists get worried about that ), I had an epidural and was able to watch most of the surgery in the reflection of the bank of overhead lights in the operating room.

They told me that the IV had some other drugs that would make me forget the procedure (a form of Rohypnol date rape drug or something like that....some amnesiac chemistry).....but I must say I remember it all:

The scrubbing with disinfectant, the incision, the poking around with a pry bar, the drilling, the screwing, the stapling.....what a show.

A ghostly image of their work...

All neatly stapled up... (taken 4 days after surgery)...

Two weeks before the staples came out....so I had lots of couch-time to start this story....

After the staples came out, the doctor said, "No weight-bearing for at least a month....I will see you then, take another x-ray, and tell you what the bone looks like and if you can start weight-bearing then...".

That was two weeks ago....April 14th is the next visit.

I am getting better on the crutches and have returned to work on a gradual basis....but pretty reliant on others for shopping and stuff like that.....can't even drive my truck as it is a standard transmission...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #140
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,708
Holy smokes Ged - when we were talkin' on the phone this winter . . . well, I had no idea. You take your sweet time healin' up there man!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #141
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
I have (had) some of those too. I thought that may be the outcome. I additionally had 5 on the other side. 2 remain on the tib. I have a pic somewhere of the ex-fix that accompanied my trip. except, 1.5 months in the hopital, the internal fix, and the external fix and an open wound I had to do dressing changes for 3 months while it healed. and later a month stint because the extraction of the internal screws got infected.

11 screws, a plate, a pin, I think 15 surguries, exculding about 10 I&D (irrigation and debrement) during the infection cleaning stage.

Glad to see you got it fixed, and that nothing worse happened during the trip.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #142
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

BC,
Sound like you went through a lot with your injuries
It is no fun during the recovery period...and I am just glad it wasn't worse....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I have (had) some of those too. I thought that may be the outcome. I additionally had 5 on the other side. 2 remain on the tib. I have a pic somewhere of the ex-fix that accompanied my trip. except, 1.5 months in the hopital, the internal fix, and the external fix and an open wound I had to do dressing changes for 3 months while it healed. and later a month stint because the extraction of the internal screws got infected.

11 screws, a plate, a pin, I think 15 surguries, exculding about 10 I&D (irrigation and debrement) during the infection cleaning stage.

Glad to see you got it fixed, and that nothing worse happened during the trip.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #143
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Ged, Loved the RR...until I got to the end and saw your x-ray

I gotta ask, what boots were you wearing? Do you think more protective boots have helped? I broke my ankle last year (still a bit stiff and tender) wearing a pair of discoveries and now i'm thinking of upgrading to the crossfires....

Hope you heal fast and are able to ride this summer
Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #144
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
Ged, Loved the RR...until I got to the end and saw your x-ray
I gotta ask, what boots were you wearing? Do you think more protective boots have helped? I broke my ankle last year (still a bit stiff and tender) wearing a pair of discoveries and now i'm thinking of upgrading to the crossfires....
Hope you heal fast and are able to ride this summer

GS,
Fox Comp 5's....a friend made the comment that such a foot rotation injury often leads to a knee injury (ACL, etc).....I have had cartilage surgery on that leg's knee prior to this injury.....I am not sure which injury is worse:

soft tissue damage to ankle or the knee????

It's healing ....

Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #145
dtbushpilot
dtbushpilot

Oddometer: 6
"Glad to see you got it fixed, and that nothing worse happened during the trip".

I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion before hearing the "rest of the story"

There was that night in San Ignacio when Ged met that "he/she". Lots of adult beverage had been consumed before he/she came in the bar and Ged insists to this day that he didn't know.........maybe I should let Ged tell the story, he's better at spinning a tale than me and he probably has pictures.....dt
dtbushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #146
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbushpilot View Post
"Glad to see you got it fixed, and that nothing worse happened during the trip".

There was that night in San Ignacio when Ged met that "he/she". Lots of adult beverage had been consumed before he/she came in the bar and Ged insists to this day that he didn't know.........maybe I should let Ged tell the story, he's better at spinning a tale than me and he probably has pictures.....dt
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #147
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbushpilot View Post

Well, now that my riding partner has resurfaced, I should comment on some incidental anecdotes

DTBushpilot is the "handle" David T. uses to conceal his true identity but not his intentions

Sure, "DT" are his primary initials...and, yes, he is a pilot.....but what kind of pilot?

He recently sold his tail-dragger, so I can't mooch an air-ride from him , but he probably still likes the notion of the double-entendre to the prefix "bush" when he revels in his written wit...

David and I had never met before this ride, and it was a pleasure to have hooked up with him. He is a better rider in the sand and desert conditions than I am as he has had years of desert riding experience....and perhaps has "Huevos mas grandes" than I do.....or is still poisoned with an excess of testosterone that clouds his judgement....

Ya know....now that I say that, I remember his acknowledgment that his "judgement was not to be trusted", a comment made after we completed the San Jose Comondu-La Purisima section (which really only had two brief section of grief....now that I look back on it).

He was a gentleman in a variety of ways: he didn't whine out loud about riding sweep most of the time, but I still don't know why he would sometimes stay in the dust envelope (probably because he secretly trusted my GPS skills way beyond his Baja Almanac references....or because he believed that a Chupacabra was lurking nearby and wanted to gnaw on his ample burro....); he liked to have a beer at the end of the day and was proactive enough to arrange for such libations...and was accommodating rather than judgemental when John and Marty extended their socially inebriative generousity at Jungla Jim's in Mulege ; he never swore out loud when managing his marginal tolerance for me being "That Guy" when getting geared up in the morning... ; and he tended to demonstrate glimpses of sensitivity between comments about me wearing a skirt and my attitude towards riding in deep soft sand.

Have I mentioned yet how much I hate riding in deep soft sand???

He was supportive when I broke my leg, although he insisted it was because my riding in silt was being compromised by the skirt I was wearing...

Now.....when he mentions the "rest of the story" and makes reference to that bar in San Ignacio..., it is only fair to point out that, as a resident of Baja, he knows way more about how to find such such cantinas than I do....and he insisted we go to that particular bar...having recounted numerous stories about his previous encounters there.

Who was I to turn down such an invitation to explore the "cantinas less visited" with a seasoned veteran ? Besides, David is so butch, I felt safe following his lead.....

I would share the pictures, David, but I thought we made that "What happens in Baja...." promise to each other??!!

Besides, the pictures of you show that whisker burn

All joking aside, DT was a great riding buddy and we got along pretty well for two guys who initially seemed to have only two things in common: a love of Baja and a KTM 690

I think we will probably ride together again sometime....in Baja, New Mexico, or in British Columbia (where I won't have to deal with deep soft sand).

Have I mentioned yet how much I hate riding in deep sand?

Aside from that, Baja continues to provide ...

Excellent Ubication

Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #148
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
KLR,
IThe smart thing for him to do is try an insurance claim on his Canadian insurance by saying he crashed in Canada. Mexican bike insurance does NOT cover damage done off of paved roads...

And this damage may not be considered crash damage as much as metal failure, a BMW thing more than an insurance thing.

He may part the bike out....I dunno....
What does Mexican bike insurance cover? Sounds like the preamble to a bad joke...Punchline: A dented can of beans....so the way to go may be to claim through the Mexican insurance. At least the deductible will be in Pesos.

I repeat: nice ride report Ged.....Are you there yet??? Based on your x-ray, it looks like you are.

Hope your next trip is a little less painful. Get well soon bud!

KLRUSERIOUS? screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 01:11 PM
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #149
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRUSERIOUS? View Post
What does Mexican bike insurance cover? Sounds like the preamble to a bad joke...Punchline: A dented can of beans....so the way to go may be to claim through the Mexican insurance. At least the deductible will be in Pesos.

I repeat: nice ride report Ged.....Are you there yet??? Based on your x-ray, it looks like you are.
Hope your next trip is a little less painful. Get well soon bud!
KLR,
My understanding is :

Mexican insurance is basically two parts....Liability and Collision Damage/Theft: you WANT to buy the liability part for sure as that is what keeps you out of jail in case of a fender bender...or at least the jail time is shorter as you are waiting for the adjuster to show up with proof of your policy....no liability insurance = $$$$$$ to get out of jail....

The collision coverage has a lot of fine print (I buy my Mex insurance on-line, so you can read the policy before purchasing it) and is not worthwhile if you are riding off paved roads (as our vehicle insurance in BC does not cover accidents on some logging roads as they are "Private Property", and insurance does not cover that....which has freaked out a lot of folks who travel logging roads for fishing, hunting as well as off-roading access).

As for the report, I am glad you have enjoyed tagging along

I started this ride report a few days after being back in Canada from the Baja trip....and after the leg surgery...

So, I am close to getting off the crutches (in a week I hope)....and closer to getting my strength back....so I can swing a leg over one of the bikes and get back to riding.....

Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #150
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,297
I did enjoy the report.....thanks again...Great job.... Awesome Adventure

And for the record, I thought you were only joking about Mexican motorcycle insurance. Was waiting on a joke about your policy being a VHS copy of the Corsican Brothers :)

Get well soon....and stay off the foot ya crazy mutt!
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote