Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #106
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
I know that Dude!

Hey Ged,

We met in Baja in about 2003. I was getting ready to ride my R100 GS around the world and ran into you and your buddies. I think everyone was on a GS (or mostly). That was a real cool ride. We stayed in the same hotel in Mulege (La Hacienda). I stayed in touch with Johnathan from Costa Rica- living in Seattle) for a few years but lost him.

Good to see you are still out there making it happen

edit: you know I used to go to baja and stay in Mulage every year and as I sit here I realize that the last time I was there was on that trip in'03. I have been in the north of Baja a few times since then, but I gotta get back down south.

petefromberkeley screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 02:07 PM
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #107
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
Hey Ged,

We met in Baja in about 2003. I was getting ready to ride my R100 GS around the world and ran into you and your buddies. I think everyone was on a GS (or mostly). That was a real cool ride. We stayed in the same hotel in Mulege (La Hacienda). I stayed in touch with Johnathan from Costa Rica- living in Seattle) for a few years but lost him.

Good to see you are still out there making it happen .
PFB,

Pete,
I remember....we all had breakfast at Las Casitas....just down the street from La Hacienda...

Buenas dias, amigo... that was a good ride for our GS gang.

All those guys had come up to BC for a week-long GS tour I set up through my short-lived experience of running a tour operation, Interior Adventures....I met a great bunch of GSers through the two years of doing that...

The experience of doing the tour operator thing convinced me to go back to riding my own ride more than trying to organize others....but a good experience nevertheless...

Did you ever make it to Europe????

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #108
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Ged, I'm impressed that you continued on. I likely would have wimped out at that point. You're the real deal! Great ride report btw. I've not done Baja yet, but want to before I get too old.

DJ,

Yeah I would like to think that I am ALL THAT, but what else was I going to do?...I could walk on the sore ankle, still drink beer when called upon to do so, get my buddies to not consider me a wimp (you know how that guy thing works), and I could get my riding boot back on after a day's rest in San Ignacio....which got David and I to Bahia Asuncion for a few days of coastal relaxation....

As David said, "If you have to take it easy for the next 3-4 days, and if you can ride, why not spend that time at Shari's instead of here in the parking lot at Rice and Beans?

That made good sense to me....

So............I hurt myself Friday.....sat around R&B Saturday, and rode to Asuncion Sunday...

Beach or parking lot???????????????

Hmmmmmmmmm......

Friday afternoon was spent watching the second Kamloops gang prepare for the second-half of their ride, drinking beer, and lounging at dinner....

And feeding the extra-terrestrial cats...

Saturday, Day Seven, was to be a sit-on-the-porch day....

Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #109
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
PFB,

Did you ever make it to Europe????

No. My ride was sort of made up as I went but I went from California to Argentina, then shipped the bike to Japan. Then I took the ferry to Vladivostok and rode across Siberia and Mongolia. Instead of going to Europe, I went through all the 'stans and Iran, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt and all of Africa. Then I shipped the bike from Cape Town to New York and rode home to California. RTW baby! Good times, good times. I still ride the ol beemer too.

See you on the road someday!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #110
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Pete,
Sounds WAY better than Europe,,,,good on ya'

Give me a shout if you make it up to BC...I still ride the 1100 GS...just don't beat it up as I am doing that to the 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
No. My ride was sort of made up as I went but I went from California to Argentina, then shipped the bike to Japan. Then I took the ferry to Vladivostok and rode across Siberia and Mongolia. Instead of going to Europe, I went through all the 'stans and Iran, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt and all of Africa. Then I shipped the bike from Cape Town to New York and rode home to California. RTW baby! Good times, good times. I still ride the ol beemer too.

See you on the road someday!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #111
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Day Seven: Hanging around Rice and Beans -

It was a Saturday and the plan was to have a rest day in San Ignacio and I could see how my ankle was going to behave...

i knew I had a serious sprain, and also recognized, by the virtue of the tell-tale blood bruise on the bottom of the foot, that I might have a broken bone or bones in there somewhere. I didn't want to go to the nearest hospital (probably Guererro Negro) for an xray as , if it required surgery, I wasn't in a hurry to have it done there for a variety of reasons....

If I could walk and ride with the injury....I would tidy up that problem when I got back to Canada...

So I sat around the parking lot at Rice and Beans for the day....and the day is a bit of a blur....

Breakfast with the passing-through Kamloops boys...feeding scraps to the herd of cats...and themselves -

David was priming his carb with some coffee...

How could a guy say "No" to a little pussy at breakfast ????

Especially when it is up close and personal....????

I may have taken a ride into town to look around ....I have some recollection of cruising the main general tienda in town and do recall getting some fruit and beer....something like that...

I promised David that we would ride to Bahia Asuncion on Sunday if I could get my foot in my riding boot.

It was only a three-hour ride to Asuncion and David had called ahead and confirmed with Shari that she had some rooms available at her B&B....

http://bajabnb.com/php/

Something to look forward to if I could ride... three days sitting in the sun, watching grey whales spouting offshore, sipping cerveza, and getting cared for...

and the trusty steeds were getting restless...

So......Saturday was a total relax day...

DAY EIGHT was ....To Be Announced....

Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #112
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Shoud of sat side saddle to keep the weight off the ankle
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #113
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Shoud of sat side saddle to keep the weight off the ankle
KB,
David suggested that.... ... but I decided against it as too much silt would get caught up in my skirt....

The ride to Bahia Asuncion on Day Eight was smooth and uneventful. It took us under three hours via pavement and our rooms were awaiting us ...

With good company to warm the soul...

Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #114
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Enjoying the report! Thanks for sharing.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #115
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Day Eight: San Ignacio to Bahia Asuncion -

It was Sunday...David and I had four days before the Bus Boys would be back from their ride to Los Cabos.

We had the options of day-rides out of SI to the east, or visit people we know in Bahia Asuncion....and the notion of sitting back appealed to me more.

I was able to get my injured ankle into my boot, so we were set to go.

David was being fairly understanding of my newly developed sensitivity (not wanting to put weight on my sore ankle)...but was itching to do some more riding.

We slipped through the military checkpoint with little ado. They always want to look inside my Coyote bag, but it is cinched down tighter than a republican, and I have been successful telling them that it is only clothes and tools for camping...and they wave me on.

Gas in Vizcaino ....and an effort to snap a pic of a military Unimog bristling with soldiers only leads to a soldier yelling at me, coming over, and demanding that I delete any pics.....I explained "No foto"...and that was the truth.

I knew better but wasn't thinking...

The road to BA is paved and is delightful, aside from a pothole section from time to time. It is flat desert south of the Guererro Negro salt flats , which seem to go on forever to the north.

A few roller coaster hills and a few vados and we enter an area that is more salt flat than desert....and that soon changes back to desert where sand forms small dunes across portions of the highway...a phenomenon you don't want to take for granted, as hitting sand at pavement speed can sometimes set up an interesting dance.

We were headed to Juan and Shari's B&B...

http://bajabnb.com/php/

where we would stay for three sleeps before returning to San Ignacio on Wednesday...

They rent out different size houses and casitas, as well as two rooms beside their own home overlooking the Pacific a shell's throw away...

Juan is a fisherman, guide, abalone diver, stone mason, guitar-playing really handsome guy who is married with Shari, a whale-loving-kissing woman with a ton of energy and a big heart. Juan comes from a long-historied family from the region and grew up in Asuncion, while Shari migrated south from Canada some years ago following her love of the ocean, travel, and a simpler way....("simpler", Shari.....not "easier" ).

They are great hosts and can leave you as alone as you want to be, or arrange all sorts of things for you that might be possible in that area....and fishing and whales (in season) are the top draws.

We arrived at their place mid-afternoon and unpacked....David offered me the larger of the two rooms....or at least the one connected to the bathroom (which was also entered from the patio).

It had a window looking south and one north...David's room only had one looking north. With the patio out front facing south, I could sit with my foot up and chill...

Juan and Shari returned later in the afternoon from whale watching in Guererro Negro lagoon...Shari was exuberant as she was kissing whales that day....she's a real whale-girl....

We had a cerveza, chatted, caught up on some gossip and some news...

David has some property in BA, so he was wanting Shari to help him arrange some preliminary establishment of his lot overlooking the Pacific in an area to the north of where we were...

Somewhere within a mile along that view to the north, David plans on building a simple casita above a shop/garage so he and his wife can have cooler summers along the Pacific than at their place on the East Cape...a summer cottage as it were...

I assured him that I would not charge much to be the resident security and caretaker between November and April...

Shari said that sounded reasonable

Day Nine: Sitting in Bahia Asuncion -

Shari called up a guy who was a retired Navy medic, and Stan came over. He diagnosed my problem as a "high sprain" and that he did not think it was broken...and then proceeded to tape my ankle with Ace and Tensor bandages on Monday and Tuesday....and was kind enough to provide me with some more Tramadol...

THANKS, STAN !!!!

David said that he heard Shari say that Stan was an avid fisherman and was a moderator or something on the forum Bloody Decks, a fishing website.

My foot was enjoying the Excellent Ubication

I stayed off my bike for Monday and Tuesday, except for a run to a local restaurant one evening....so it sat among a family of boats for a few days ...

Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #116
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
Way to roll with the punches Ged!

Ice that ankle as much as you can bear to, I mean like 2 hours at a time, on and off. You will be surprised to see how much better it will be once you ice the crap...and I mean ice the crap out of it, really mentally push yourself to keep the ice on and then give yourself a break to warm up a bit (5-10min) and hit it with ice again. I play soccer and do that to my ankles all the time. Nothing beats the ice treatment and keeping it wrapped up when you are putting strain on it. Could have been a lot worse.

RIDE ON BROTHER
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #117
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

KLR>...

Thanks for the healing advice....as it was, I only really iced the ankle sporadically the first two days....and then not for 10 days until back home in BC....but that is a whole other part of this story.

I appreciate the notion that "foot up" means above the heart...."icing" means kinda what you said, and R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compress, elevate) does NOT mean walking around a lot, riding motorcycles at all, or waiting 10 days for serious medical attention....but, it was Baja and the rules change a bit there...

Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #118
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
Hows the ankle now?
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #119
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
it was Baja and the rules change a bit there...
don't need no stinkin rules!
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #120
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRUSERIOUS? View Post
Hows the ankle now?

The ankle is doing better ....but there is more to that part of this story...

Have I mentioned yet how much I dislike riding in deep soft sand???