User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #46
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
In the after shots loaded in the truck, it doesn't look like the brake line got caught up after the fender failed. If the line had caught, it would likely be badly damaged or ripped loose which does not seem to be the case. It must have been the broken fender itself that jammed the wheel.

I had my front fender jam up with mud last fall and went down with a broken ankle the result - even with the TT fender lift kit installed. I've since converted to a high fender and seperate brake lines for each caliper. Those hugger fenders are a stupid design for an adventure bike, and seem to be nothing but trouble.

Hope you heal up quickly and without residual affects. If you end up rebuilding the GS or getting another, I'd seriously consider the fender switch. I suspect you'll agree.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #47
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
that's a good point. if it had grabbed, the bike wouldn't have gone down on its side it would have gone end over end.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #48
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
Sounds to me that BMW owes you a new bike.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #49
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,765
Dude ! Glad you a still breathing. If it is worth anything it looks cool without the fender... Still cannot get the vid to roll..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #50
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
that's a good point. if it had grabbed, the bike wouldn't have gone down on its side it would have gone end over end.
Not trying to argue but if the front locked up on the relatively slippy gravel (compared to hot tarmac) it is highly likely to crash as seen in the video. An endo is unlikely in gravel because you can't get enough traction on the front.

I would hazard a guess that it is either the brake line or a piece of the fender or a piece of something else that stopped the front tire. Maybe a closer look at the tire and rim would help? I'm sure Joe doesn't want to look at the bike right now and I don't blame him. Myself.... I am seriously considering a high fender or the TT fender raise. If we don't learn from the misfortune of other their plight would be in vain.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #51
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
wow wow wow!!!
my heart was pounding just from watching.
glad you're ok!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #52
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Damn Joe.....That a hard get-off. Glad you're "ok".

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #53
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Not trying to argue but if the front locked up on the relatively slippy gravel (compared to hot tarmac) it is highly likely to crash as seen in the video. An endo is unlikely in gravel because you can't get enough traction on the front.

I would hazard a guess that it is either the brake line or a piece of the fender or a piece of something else that stopped the front tire. Maybe a closer look at the tire and rim would help? I'm sure Joe doesn't want to look at the bike right now and I don't blame him. Myself.... I am seriously considering a high fender or the TT fender raise. If we don't learn from the misfortune of other their plight would be in vain.
I would tend to agree. My own guess is that a rock jammed between the fender and wheel and caused the front to wash out. I have had issues with the crossover line in the mud, but never in gravel. I think for serious off roading that ditching the crossover and "hugger" fender all together and going with a single front rotor would be the best set-up. You don't need dual front rotors off road. After this episode, I am pretty sure that is what I am going to do.

Joe, you wadded it up pretty good. Glad you are OK for the most part. Take care, and keep us in the loop on the aftermath.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #54
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Auuuchhhhhhh...... Glad your still alive. You now made me realize my next project..... Not kidding here...... That was awe full...... Heal fast.....

Erling
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #55
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
I am sure it will a while before anything meaningful as to the cause can be determined. Even though I dumped the bike on just the crossover line, it was at low speed with a tire that looked like a chocolate donut.

The fender wedging into the crossover is most probable but what caused that? Stone wedged into it?. Loss of some of the screws or a prior break in a support bracket is about all I can think of. You did have that recalled axle taken care of didn't you?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #56
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Very good point. I agree.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #57
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,386
Glad your relitively ok Chi. That really sucks.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #58
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
if no one is to "blame" your insurance will cover the bike right?

I have full coverage, plus gap insurance since my bike is financed.
No matter what's the cause my bike will be fixed, or if it's beyond repair I will only have to pay my deductible and walk away from it.
I've already made a claim so the ball is rolling.

Let's not worry about money and things like that David, thank you.
I'm glad you accept my apologies for my doucheness and appreciate the kind offer....

I'm not happy I'm going to lose my bike, it's not like I can afford to buy another one right now.
Well, like some have said, maybe it's best me and the GS part ways, but it's a tough pill to swallow since I believe this crash is not my fault.
I should have been the one to kill her!

I mean, I've pushed a few limits with this bike, and have been lucky not to crash hard a few times, and if I didn't have the video rolling few people would believe my story, but that's not the case now is it?....

Having just spent a huge amount of cash (to me) to fix this bike a week ago makes it even worse.

Thank you for all the kind words, I'm glad to be here, and I hope this crash can help other avoid the same thing, either by modifying their 800GS or upgrading their safety gear to more appropriate off tarmac gear.
Without my "designer brand" (as some cowardly douchebag laughing about my crash on smugmug has said ) safety gear this story could be much different.

I'm not sure about what will happen, the dealer the bike is at seems to think the bike will be totaled, at first glance at least, right Corwin?

Of all the places I've been on this bike all alone, once again she at least picked a perfect place and time to fuck up and buck me off....

Maybe it was the EVIL COWS!!!!

We shall see what happens soon enough, and as always I have my trusty R1200R bike to see me through tough times!

LostRider.com
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #59
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
These F800's are really an improvement over previous BMW's, huh ?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #60
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Doubt it was a rock getting stuck.

Yes, they do flick up, but look at the frames just before the crash, there's nothing fist size or larger in view to cause this and if a rock jammed in there it had to happen immediately before the crash.

I'd also have to say, if rocks and low fenders alone could do this, me and my bike would have departed this earth many years ago ;).

Look at the fender where it broke, see if the crack is part dirty - that would imply a fatigue fracture rather than a sudden let go from being jammed.

Sorry about the bike, but as the saying goes, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Pete
Closed Thread