Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
ebrabaek, thanks for the research, reports, and follow ups. Great information. Thanks also for addressing my question about the angle of the mid pipe. I'll get one ordered on the next group purchase. oclv
Absolutely...... I`m certain you will like it.... Worst case.....just hack the 30mm in half, and your golden.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
UPS status......out for delivery!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #18
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
UPS status......out for delivery!
Nice......Time for some serious weight loss....

Erling
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
I got my Leo Vance in 1 day from Arizona. Thumbed through the instruction manual and could not find English right away, but I am a guy how hard can it be? Within the package of misc. parts I find a perforated disc, wonder where that goes? The only place it fits is in end of the muffler held in place by the mid pipe.

Installed it is a very quiet muffler, quieter than stock, so call Leo Vince to find out it is meant for European noise limits, take it out.

Reinstalled correctly? it is really tucked in. The supplied spacer is too long, so I used the washer off stock as the spacer. That's OK, as I wanted it tucked in and lighter is good.

At start up it has a growl to it but not too loud on blipping the throttle so the neighbors should be happy. The noise reducer is just a smaller orifice for the exhaust and came installed.

Not to much time to test drive, just up and down the local hill, maybe 6 miles total. It has some decel popping in first gear, but seemed to diminish in the little time I rode it so maybe the ecu just needs to learn. At steady state riding it is barely audible to the rider, but at idle or applying a handful of throttle you definitely hear it. Not obtrusive to the rider but it may be to who ever you are passing. Throttle inputs seemed improved, but with the Accelerator module it was pretty good to start with.

It is a straight through muffler so it is going to fail the probe up the exhaust pipe test used in Ca. Not so much an issue in the N. Cal forest but will be an issue at the off road areas and some locations in S. Cal.
A slip in spark arrestor in the front end might make the rangers happy.

Need to do some roll ons and such to see if there is any performance gains, but as long as there is no loss it was not my primary concern.

More to follow.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I got my Leo Vance in 1 day from Arizona. Thumbed through the instruction manual and could not find English right away, but I am a guy how hard can it be? Within the package of misc. parts I find a perforated disc, wonder where that goes? The only place it fits is in end of the muffler held in place by the mid pipe.

Installed it is a very quiet muffler, quieter than stock, so call Leo Vince to find out it is meant for European noise limits, take it out.

Reinstalled correctly? it is really tucked in. The supplied spacer is too long, so I used the washer off stock as the spacer. That's OK, as I wanted it tucked in and lighter is good.

At start up it has a growl to it but not too loud on blipping the throttle so the neighbors should be happy. The noise reducer is just a smaller orifice for the exhaust and came installed.

Not to much time to test drive, just up and down the local hill, maybe 6 miles total. It has some decel popping in first gear, but seemed to diminish in the little time I rode it so maybe the ecu just needs to learn. At steady state riding it is barely audible to the rider, but at idle or applying a handful of throttle you definitely hear it. Not obtrusive to the rider but it may be to who ever you are passing. Throttle inputs seemed improved, but with the Accelerator module it was pretty good to start with.

It is a straight through muffler so it is going to fail the probe up the exhaust pipe test used in Ca. Not so much an issue in the N. Cal forest but will be an issue at the off road areas and some locations in S. Cal.
A slip in spark arrestor in the front end might make the rangers happy.

Need to do some roll ons and such to see if there is any performance gains, but as long as there is no loss it was not my primary concern.

More to follow.
Yeppers.... I have a feeling that LV will have to visit the spacer thing..... Sort of glad I am not the only one.... Spend about 45 minutes...." well what if I do this" but to no avail.... Throw that disc in the tool box.....Crazy restricter. Remember.... the catalytic converter serves as a sparky.... One very good reason for not dishing it. When/if you get stopped you need to be prepared to explain this to the peace officer stopping you....
It tucks in nicely to the frame ehhh...

Erling
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Just got my can today. Great workmanship. I too was wondering what the holy disc was for. I new I had this thread existed and bam I find I'm not the only one wondering what that was for.
Install was stupid easy. The carbon fiber bracket did make some cracking sounds and shows a crack at the 90 degree edge near the openings for the bolt. I aligned it perfectly so I'm wondering if this is a problem? I'll get a second look after the ride to see if it is.
I have SW-Motec EVO racks, and the pipe fits perfectly. Close to the front edge or near the bracket above the pillion foot peg but not touching. Should not flex and touch with the weight in a bag.
Growl but nice. I'll wait to see if I will take out the reducer.
Anyone know what that disc is for?

Thanks in advanced

UG
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
Just got my can today. Great workmanship. I too was wondering what the holy disc was for. I new I had this thread existed and bam I find I'm not the only one wondering what that was for.
Install was stupid easy. The carbon fiber bracket did make some cracking sounds and shows a crack at the 90 degree edge near the openings for the bolt. I aligned it perfectly so I'm wondering if this is a problem? I'll get a second look after the ride to see if it is.
I have SW-Motec EVO racks, and the pipe fits perfectly. Close to the front edge or near the bracket above the pillion foot peg but not touching. Should not flex and touch with the weight in a bag.
Growl but nice. I'll wait to see if I will take out the reducer.
Anyone know what that disc is for?

Thanks in advanced

UG
Might wanna look at cutting the supplied spacer in half...... Disc is for EU bikes.....that have to reduce the noise pollution even more to be street legal......

Erling
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #23
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
What would you guys recommend as the quietest?
JediJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJitsu View Post
Not sure what you mean.....Like how to make the LV the quietest...... Potatoe in the end....and dic in..... But some serious flow restriction on the motor...... Generally.... the more you restrict the flow.... the quieter the bike gets....

Erling
Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #25
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Not sure what you mean.....Like how to make the LV the quietest...... Potatoe in the end....and dic in..... But some serious flow restriction on the motor...... Generally.... the more you restrict the flow.... the quieter the bike gets....

Erling
I just dont want to make it louder than stock, quieter would be ideal.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #26
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just dont want to make it louder than stock, quieter would be ideal.
Sorry..... But the only way you can achieve this is by in addition to the potato...... Install the disc...... Then it will be on par with stock level...... But I think it'l run like ...... Ummmmmm..... Very bad.........

Erling
Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #27
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Stock with earplugs.
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #28
JediJitsu
Adventurer

So what would you recommend between the Akrapovic and the LV?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So what would you recommend between the Akrapovic and the LV?
I have no experience with the akro...... But as was said earlier.... If noise is a concern of yours.....keep the stock..... I don`t think anything will beat it.... they`l come close....but not beat it.....

Erling
Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #30
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I have no experience with the akro...... But as was said earlier.... If noise is a concern of yours.....keep the stock..... I don`t think anything will beat it.... they`l come close....but not beat it.....

Erling
Thank you for your reply. The noise wasn't for me, I just thought there were pipes out there made to make the exhaust louder, and some to silence it... I was looking the one that silences. Sorry, I'm very new to motorcycling.