Old 11-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9057 View Post
Hodakaguy
Let me throw this in...I also have a 2010 530EXC same starting issues wont e-start even though it turns over just fine, but it will kick start, all this at sea-level to 2000' +/-
Now...same bike....at high altitudes, 9500+ same set up except jetted for altitude...it will e-start every time!

I'm trying to figure how the torque limiter could be affected at altitude?
Got any ideals?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
scott9057
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Well I'm rebuildimg the engine right now anyways, so I'll try the fix and see if it helps any. Give me a week or two and I'll report back here any improvements!
scott9057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
I have a new-to-me 2010 450 six days with 30 hours on it. It's Winter in Denver, so I've only been able to get it out for one test ride and I had this exact problem.

Very difficult to get a hot restart in-gear. Put it in neutral, fires up. Huge PITA.

I haven't dug into the jetting yet, and honestly assumed it was a jetting issue, possibly even a clutch bleed issue, but this sounds like a more likely culprit.

Thanks for documenting this issue...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #19
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 661
Hodakaguy......you are the f-ing man!!! My beloved 530 recently started doing this and really began to scare me that something was wrong after I coddle the bike in maintenance after everytime I ride her!!! How you figure these things out, is a puzzle to me....guessing you are an engineer of some sort, right? Well I'll be doing this and also the oil pump gear change at the same time to keep the 530 running in tip top shape! Thanks for the info and guidance!!!!

And as my signature says, this bike is the one and only and just plain RIPS at anything you throw at her!
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #20
ABuck99

Oddometer: 552
Nice write up- and pictorial. You helped me find the cure to this issue last year, and I appreciate your help. I actually was able to get KTM to warranty this, even though I was just a month or two out of warranty. I noticed from my spare parts manual to the online fiche, the have subsequently updated the torque limiter part number, so they must have had a bad run of these.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt View Post
Hodakaguy......you are the f-ing man!!! My beloved 530 recently started doing this and really began to scare me that something was wrong after I coddle the bike in maintenance after everytime I ride her!!! How you figure these things out, is a puzzle to me....guessing you are an engineer of some sort, right? Well I'll be doing this and also the oil pump gear change at the same time to keep the 530 running in tip top shape! Thanks for the info and guidance!!!!

And as my signature says, this bike is the one and only and just plain RIPS at anything you throw at her!
Thanks, I didn't figure the problem out though. I had read on other forums where people had the same problem and the torque limiter ended up being the issue. I just thought I would type up a how-to for others to follow if they were having the same issue so it could be more widely known.

I'm getting ready to upgrade the oil pump gears in my new 530 and noticed there is a updated oil pump shaft as well now, I'll install the new shaft and see if there is any difference between it and the old version then update the oil pump how to accordingly.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #22
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
Nice write up- and pictorial. You helped me find the cure to this issue last year, and I appreciate your help. I actually was able to get KTM to warranty this, even though I was just a month or two out of warranty. I noticed from my spare parts manual to the online fiche, the have subsequently updated the torque limiter part number, so they must have had a bad run of these.
Would be interesting to see what was changed between the two part numbers. Thanks for the heads up

Hodakaguy
Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
Capp
Resident

Oddometer: 87
About to replace the oil pump shaft and gears myself. Just waiting on the oil pump cover that has been backordered. Should be here next week. I also ordered the 125 oil jet as the 08s came with 100. More oil for the crank.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #24
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp View Post
About to replace the oil pump shaft and gears myself. Just waiting on the oil pump cover that has been backordered. Should be here next week. I also ordered the 125 oil jet as the 08s came with 100. More oil for the crank.
Yep a good upgrade for the 08's on the oil jet, I'll add that to the oil pump upgrade thread when I revise it with the updated shaft.

Hodakaguy
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
PLATAPUS RIDER
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello Hodaka Guy,

I ride a 2011 530EXC. I need to remove my inner clutch cover in order to helicoil the stripped out gear oil sight hole. It appears that once I remove the brake lever and kick starter, and loosen the bottom radiator hose from the water pump assembly, the entire cover comes off as one. Is that correct? Do I need to remove the water pump and outer clutch cover first, or can they stay on? You've posted really clear pictures, but it's hard to tell for sure.

My local shop wasn't much help with this. They're reluctant to give advice to a DIY mechanic. Any advice you can give me is appreciated.
PLATAPUS RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATAPUS RIDER View Post
Hello Hodaka Guy,

I ride a 2011 530EXC. I need to remove my inner clutch cover in order to helicoil the stripped out gear oil sight hole. It appears that once I remove the brake lever and kick starter, and loosen the bottom radiator hose from the water pump assembly, the entire cover comes off as one. Is that correct? Do I need to remove the water pump and outer clutch cover first, or can they stay on? You've posted really clear pictures, but it's hard to tell for sure.

My local shop wasn't much help with this. They're reluctant to give advice to a DIY mechanic. Any advice you can give me is appreciated.
Your question is off topic, but I'll help you out. Your easiest fix will be to use JB Weld to glue that screw in place. It's not necessary to set the level of the tranny oil that precisely. It takes almost exactly one quart. Just add that much oil and be done with it. No need to check.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #27
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATAPUS RIDER View Post
Hello Hodaka Guy,

If you decide to remove the clutch cover it's pretty simple, no need to remove the water pump cover. Just remove the kick starter, brake lever and water pump coolant hose...then remove the bolts. The whole cover will just slide off. When re-installing the cover take your time and don't force it...if it doesn't want to slide back on easily move the water pump gear a tiny bit and try again until it slides on without hanging up.

On a side note I like to torque everything to spec but don't try and torque the oil fill bolt for the trans...it will strip. I just snug it up lightly by hand and call it good.

Hodakaguy
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #28
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Huh,so I guess its the clutch drag causing the Torque limiter to not allow the engine to spin hard enough? My 2011 530 starts instantly unless its in gear with the clutch in.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Huh,so I guess its the clutch drag causing the Torque limiter to not allow the engine to spin hard enough? My 2011 530 starts instantly unless its in gear with the clutch in.
No, it is independant of the clutch. I fixed my starter using this guide. It was very easy.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #30
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
No, it is independant of the clutch. I fixed my starter using this guide. It was very easy.
Im still in the dark then,why does it turn over and start real easy in neutral?
And then not start in gear with the clutch in?
How is the torque limiter affected by clutch drag?

I was also wondering,if it does pop back on starting,and the torque limiter doesnt limit torque as intended,what then?

Im mechaniclly curious