ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #31
zcooney
Ask about my red wings
 
zcooney's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Catlett, VA
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I'm glad I could help. Do you plan to omit the "smallest" chain roller at the rear of the chain guide? If so, please let us know how this omission affects wear on the other chain rollers.

Spud
Yep, I decided to try option #1 as I have a 48t sprocket back there.
zcooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcooney View Post
Yep, I decided to try option #1 as I have a 48t sprocket back there.
Please do let us know how the absence of the "smallest" roller in the chain guide affects wear on the remaining chain rollers. I will also be installing a 48T rear sprocket in the future, and I would love to learn from your experience regarding this matter.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #33
zcooney
Ask about my red wings
 
zcooney's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Catlett, VA
Oddometer: 146
I got my rollers test fitted this evening. Hard to tell from the pics, but does your front roller sit in line with your chain? Mine seems to be about off about 30 degrees.
zcooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #34
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcooney View Post
I got my rollers test fitted this evening. Hard to tell from the pics, but does your front roller sit in line with your chain? Mine seems to be about off about 30 degrees.
The largest chain roller I substituted for my "chain slipper" is slightly offline from the drive chain. However, it is far less than 30 degrees offline.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #35
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Today I removed my chain rollers and inspected them after 2,400 miles of wear. Here is a port side view of all three rollers.



Here is a top view of all three rollers.



As you can see, the "largest" roller replacing the "chain slipper" is practically new.

Here is a closeup view of the two, chain guide rollers.



Now that the rollers of the drive chain are contacting the center of the chain rollers, I expect the wear rate of the chain rollers to decrease.

While riding the chain rollers make a little noise, but it is not objectionable; in fact, I hardly notice it. These chain rollers have decreased the drag on my drive chain, and are very easy to inspect. So far, I am very pleased with this modification.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #36
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Today it snowed, and the high temperature was 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Needless to say, I didn't go riding. However, I took the opportunity to remove my chain guide rollers, and inspect them after 3,100 miles of wear.

The chain guide of the XR650L is a dirty environment, and the chain rollers located there are subjected to a lot of mud, dirt, and debris. Therefore, I removed the bearing seals from the "small" chain roller, and greased the bearings; they were completely dry. I am beginning to value the easy maintenance, and the durability of the "smallest," Delrin, chain roller which does not contain a bearing. When the "small" chain roller in the front of the chain guide wears out, I might replace it with another "smallest" chain roller, without a bearing.

Without further ado, here is a photograph of the port side of the two chain rollers in my chain guide.



Here is a photograph of the top side of the two chain rollers.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #37
iridered2003
Adventurer
 
iridered2003's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Today it snowed, and the high temperature was 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Needless to say, I didn't go riding. However, I took the opportunity to remove my chain guide rollers, and inspect them after 3,100 miles of wear.

The chain guide of the XR650L is a dirty environment, and the chain rollers located there are subjected to a lot of mud, dirt, and debris. Therefore, I removed the bearing seals from the "small" chain roller, and greased the bearings; they were completely dry. I am beginning to value the easy maintenance, and the durability of the "smallest," Delrin, chain roller which does not contain a bearing. When the "small" chain roller in the front of the chain guide wears out, I might replace it with another "smallest" chain roller, without a bearing.

Without further ado, here is a photograph of the port side of the two chain rollers in my chain guide.



Here is a photograph of the top side of the two chain rollers.



Spud
SNOWED????? im in shorts
iridered2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #38
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridered2003 View Post
SNOWED????? im in shorts
Yes, it snowed. Stay where you are; don't move to Idaho.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #39
iridered2003
Adventurer
 
iridered2003's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Yes, it snowed. Stay where you are; don't move to Idaho.



Spud
now i got a WOODY! looks like a ton of fun right there
iridered2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #40
iridered2003
Adventurer
 
iridered2003's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridered2003 View Post
now i got a WOODY! looks like a ton of fun right there
after looking at this pic again, i think i could do about 100 to 150 miles in 39*f then haul butt back to galveston
man, we dont have anything close to me that even begins to look like that. its so flat here you feel like your sinking all the time
iridered2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #41
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridered2003 View Post
after looking at this pic again, i think i could do about 100 to 150 miles in 39*f then haul butt back to galveston
man, we dont have anything close to me that even begins to look like that. its so flat here you feel like your sinking all the time
Thank you, Red. The high temperature tomorrow is predicted to reach a balmy, 50 degrees Fahrenheit; I intend to go riding.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #42
iridered2003
Adventurer
 
iridered2003's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you, Red. The high temperature tomorrow is predicted to reach a balmy, 50 degrees Fahrenheit; I intend to go riding.

Spud
here should be about 80, but the wind is blowing at 25 to 30mph. that aint much fun on a pig
iridered2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #43
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
After 3,800 miles, the front chain roller in my chain guide fractured. Therefore, I replaced it with the other chain roller shown in these photographs.





I believe the shattered chain roller is subjected to greater impact forces than the other chain rollers. In addition, this chain roller is more exposed to the elements than the other chain rollers. Therefore, I replaced the shattered chain roller with another "smallest" chain roller, identical to the chain roller located in the rear of the chain guide. I believe the "smallest" chain roller is more durable than the roller it replaced. In addition, the "smallest" chain roller does not have a bearing which can be contaminated in the dirty environment of the chain guide. I will keep you updated regarding the wear of this replacement chain roller.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #44
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
The chain guide of the XR650L is a harsh environment, subjected to a lot of mud and grit. After experimenting with the "small" chain roller, I am now convinced a pair of 24x26mm, Delrin chain rollers from Moose Racing is the best combination for the chain guide. These "smallest" chain rollers resist chain impact and rolling friction very well. In addition, since they dont employ sealed bearings, these chain rollers are maintenance free.

I recently installed the front roller in the chain guide, but the rear roller has been employed for 4,250 miles.



Rollers with sealed bearings take a severe beating in the chain guide. Therefore, I am confident these "smallest" rollers will perform best in this harsh environment. I will continue to keep you updated as I ride more miles with this current configuration.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #45
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The chain guide of the XR650L is a harsh environment, subjected to a lot of mud and grit. After experimenting with the "small" chain roller, I am now convinced a pair of 24x26mm, Delrin chain rollers from Moose Racing is the best combination for the chain guide. These "smallest" chain rollers resist chain impact and rolling friction very well. In addition, since they don’t employ sealed bearings, these chain rollers are maintenance free.

I recently installed the front roller in the chain guide, but the rear roller has been employed for 4,250 miles.



Rollers with sealed bearings take a severe beating in the chain guide. Therefore, I am confident these "smallest" rollers will perform best in this harsh environment. I will continue to keep you updated as I ride more miles with this current configuration.

Spud
are those just delrin round stock at a certain ID & OD?

or are these it?
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014