Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #46
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
are those just delrin round stock at a certain ID & OD?

or are these it?
The chain rollers currently installed in my chain guide are Delrin cylinders. Therefore, one could buy some 1-inch, Delrin rod, cut it to 1-inch lengths, and drill holes for the mounting bolts. However, I think an even better solution is to buy some Delrin tube, and cut it to 1-inch lengths.

The stock chain slider introduces a lot of drag on the drive chain, and the rubber material wears rather quickly, especially if one is riding a lot in mud. Therefore, the homemade, Delrin rollers are not only less expensive than the stock chain slider, the Delrin rollers also require less maintenance, and work better.

Therefore, I am going to buy some Delrin tubing, and manufacture my own chain rollers for the chain guide. The "large" chain roller I substituted for the "chain slipper" is doing a very good job, and only cost $10, so I will continue to use it for that application.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 01:51 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #47
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
1" is the OD for the two rear rollers? or... 26mm... I have a buddy with a lathe that can turn down some delrin in about 5 min.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #48
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
1" is the OD for the two rear rollers? or... 26mm... I have a buddy with a lathe that can turn down some delrin in about 5 min.
If you can manufacture any size you want, here are the optimal dimensions.

Rear Chain Guide Roller: 24mm X 24mm
Front Chain Guide Roller: 30mm X 24mm

I am currently using two identical chain rollers, size 24mm X 26mm, in my chain guide.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #49
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today I performed some drive chain maintenance, so I inspected my chain rollers. Here is a photograph of the left side of the "largest" chain roller I substituted for my "chain slipper" after 5,000 miles of wear.

Here is a photograph of the top of the "largest" chain roller after 5,000 miles of wear.

This largest chain roller contains bearings, so I decided to remove the seals and grease the roller bearings. Here is a view of one of the bearings after 5,000 miles, with the original grease.

Here is a photograph of the bearing after I added new grease, and before I reinstalled the bearing seal.

This "largest" bearing makes a little noise, but I am still very pleased with its performance, and its durability.

Here is a photograph of the port side of the chain rollers I installed in my chain guide. The front chain roller is on the left, and the rear chain roller is on the right.

Here is a photograph of the top of both chain guide rollers. The front chain roller, on the left, has 1,200 miles of wear. The rear chain roller, on the right, has 5,000 miles of wear.

The chain guide is a hostile environment, and the chain rollers installed there receive a lot of abuse. Although they perform well, these Moose Racing chain rollers cost $10 each. Therefore, I went searching for a less expensive alternative, and purchased some polyurethane tube, which I cut to the proper length. Here is a side view of the polyurethane tube.

Here is a top view of the polyurethane tube.

My Moose Racing chain rollers are still in very good condition. However, I am interested in testing the performance of the polyurethane tubes, so I installed them this afternoon. I will keep you updated concerning my findings as I add miles of wear to these polyurethane tubes.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 01:01 AM
Old 05-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #50
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today I washed my bike, and lubricated my drive chain. I also took the opportunity to inspect the polyurethane tubes serving as chain rollers in my chain guide. Here is a photo of the port side of my "Spud Rollers" after 400 miles of wear.

Here is a top view of my Spud Rollers after 400 miles of wear.

So far my Spud Rollers seem to be wearing as well, or better, than the Moose Racing chain rollers I had previously employed in my chain guide. I will know more about the durability of my Spud Rollers after I ride with them for another thousand miles; I will keep you updated.

Spud
Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #51
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
are you using a lube on your "Spud rollers"? If so what are you using?
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #52
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
are you using a lube on your "Spud rollers"? If so what are you using?
I lubricate the drive chain with DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant. I have added grease to the bearings in my "chain slipper" roller. However, I don't lubricate my Spud Rollers; they turn easily, and are essentially maintenance free.

Spud
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #53
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Very encouraging, Spud Rider! Plus I never cease to be amazed at the miles you put on and the terrific geology in those gorgeous mountains. Ride on! Are you ready to share the details on purchasing the polyurethane tubing?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #54
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today I needed to remove my rear wheel, so I took the opportunity to inspect my chain rollers. Here is a photo of my "chain slipper" roller after 5,900 miles of wear.

I flipped this "chain slipper" roller the last time I inspected it. This chain roller is wearing very slowly. I am very pleased with its performance, and its durability.

After experimenting with a sealed bearing roller, and several Moose Racing, unsealed chain rollers, I finally settled on using polyurethane tubes as chain rollers in my chain guide. Here is a port view of my "Spud Rollers" after 1,000 miles of wear.

l]

Here is a top view of my "Spud Rollers" after 1,000 miles of wear in my chain guide.

The chain guide is a dirty, harsh environment. Nevertheless, my "Spud Rollers" show practically no wear after 1,000 miles, and are performing much better than the more expensive, commercially produced chain rollers I experimented with previously. Therefore, I believe I have found the best solution for the chain guide rollers, and I will continue to employ my "Spud Rollers" for this application.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 01:50 AM
Old 05-27-2011, 02:16 AM   #55
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Very encouraging, Spud Rider! Plus I never cease to be amazed at the miles you put on and the terrific geology in those gorgeous mountains. Ride on! Are you ready to share the details on purchasing the polyurethane tubing?
Thank you, Ono. I bought my polyurethane tubing from a local, industrial supply shop.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 01:17 PM
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #56
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

This morning I lubricated my drive chain, and inspected my chain rollers. Here is a photo of my "chain slipper" roller after 6,800 miles of wear.

Don't worry, I tightened the gear shift lever bolt!

Here is a port view of the Spud Rollers in my chain guide after 1,850 miles of wear.

Here is a top view of my Spud Rollers after 1,850 miles of wear.

My Spud Rollers are performing superbly; they are far superior to the commercial chain rollers I have previously employed in my chain guide.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 01:18 PM
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #57
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today I inspected my chain rollers. Here is a view of the chain roller I installed to replace the "chain slipper" above the swingarm. This large chain roller has been employed for 8,000 miles, and has virtually no wear whatsoever.

After experimenting with two different types of commercial chain rollers, I installed my polyurethane Spud Rollers in my chain guide. Here is a photograph of the "left" side of my Spud Rollers after 3,000 miles of wear.

Here is a photo of the top view of my Spud Rollers. As you can see, my Spud Rollers also have virtually no wear after 3,000 miles of riding.

My Spud Rollers are virtually maintenance free, and have survived a lot of punishment in the dirty, harsh environment of the chain guide. For the purposes of comparison, here is a photo of two, commercial, chain rollers after 2,400 miles of wear in my chain guide.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 01:18 PM
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #58
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday I inspected my chain rollers. After 9,600 miles of riding, the large chain roller I substituted for the "chain slipper" appears exactly as it did at my last inspection; it shows virtually no wear.

After 4,700 miles of wear, here is a photograph of the port side of the polyurethane Spud Rollers I installed in my chain guide.

Here is a top view of my Spud Rollers after 4,700 miles of wear.

After 4,700 miles, a tiny bit of wear has appeared on a small portion of the rear Spud Roller. Both polyurethane rollers are in excellent condition, and I am still very pleased with their performance, and durability.

Spud
Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #59
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The rear of my chain guide had a few cracks in the plastic when I acquired my used, XR650L. Also, my chain guide has recently taken some punishment in the Idaho rocks. Since a new chain guide is relatively inexpensive, and because my Spud Rollers are wearing so well, today I decided to trim the rear of my chain guide, and experiment with a single Spud Roller installed in the front of the chain guide.

My original objectives for this modification were to reduce chain guide maintenance, drive chain friction, and the replacement cost of wear items such as the "chain slipper" and the chain guide slider. I am very satisfied with my success regarding these objectives. However, I now wish to discover if a single Spud Roller in the chain guide works as well as two. Two chain rollers will cost less, make less noise, and induce even less drive chain friction than three chain rollers.

So far I have ridden about 150 miles with a single Spud Roller in my chain guide, and all looks well. I will continue to keep you updated regarding the performance, and durability of my single Spud Roller.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 11:38 PM
Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #60
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Your rear sprocket looks super worn in this pic; or is it an aftermarket sprock?

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote