User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
trav520 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Cannon and Dekalb Counties, Tennessee

I live in murfreesboro and have been riding in Cannon and Dekalb Counties a little over the past 6 months on my DRZ 400. There are some pretty good DS rides and I'm still figuring alot of it out. I usaually just ride from the house over to short mountain, ride around a bit, and then come back. North Short mountain road is all gravel and then going to the top of short mountain Via Gunter Hollow road is a great view of the area.

Today I had the best ride in the area yet! From Murfreesboro, took 70S toward Woodbury, at the county line, took a right on Lassiter rd. Took a left on Hwy 64 then the first right on Burt Burgen Rd. Stay left and cross a hill on Jimtown Road. Left on 53 and through woodbury way up North to Sugar tree knob road right (look for sign to Sugar Tree Church of Christ). Stay right at the three way fork. Ride along the north side of Short mountain then Left at Big Hill Rd. Once you come into Gassaway, Go Right on Hog Foot road just before a church. It takes you into Dekalb County.
Once in Dekalb county, take first Left on Adamsone BR. Rd. Take second right on Old Pea Ridge road. This road is gravel, then turns to dirt and eventually dead ends but was fun to ride. Turn around and come back down go back the way you came and take the next Left. Wilder Hollow road (there is a sign for a family cemetary). This road goes along and through a creek several times. It was a blast. It eventually goes all the way through and puts you back out on Dry Creek Rd. This is where I had to start heading home but there is so much in this area. Note about Dry Creek Road, I rode in from the West side. It seemed to be public road the whole way. I even saw a farmer on the far East side and I asked him the way out and he didn't say anything about it being private land. There are some Cattle gates along the way to open and close but they didn't have any no trespassing signs. Tom tried to ride it from the East side the next day, and said there were some no trespassing signs, so he opted not to continue. I want to respect anyones property so maybe just the eastern part of this road is a no pass. It is worth riding in from the West though!

Below are the DOT county maps for Dekalb and Cannon counties I keep in my pocket when I ride and base my exporation from. There are rarely any road name signs anywhere so these come in handy especially since I don't have a gps unit.

If you've ridden this area on a Dual Sport bike, I'd like to hear any suggestions.

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/maps/county/co21.pdf
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/maps/county/co08.pdf

Here are some photos from my second ride on Sunday, 3-13-11
This is the first cabin on the Sally Parton Road trails. Saw some locals with dirtbikes and 4-wheelers who said it was ok to ride back on the property just to watch out for horses and respect them by shutting down your engine to let them pass.

This was at the bottom of a really steep, muddy hill. Had a hard time getting the bike out of here.

This is a view of the hill I had to turn around and climb midway because of the tree. It was really steep and loose.

The end of the sally Parton Trails puts you out next to a high voltage power line run, a good place to relax.

After I rode these trails, went back out to the asphalt looking for some gravel roads. I rode Parchcorn Hollow Road, St. John Hollow Road, and then went south via Eugene Reed Rd and Hollow Springs Road. Cut west on Gilley Hill Road which had a good section of Gravel. It is all downhill from East to West. Would be more fun riding from West to East. Went west on Tolbert Hollow Road and back to Murfreesboro on Bradyville Pike.

trav520 screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 10:04 PM Reason: added second day of weekend riding
trav520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Brickflyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Trav,
we are riding this area tomorrow. come join us!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...62876&page=193

06 BMW R1200GS
05 DR650
04 BMW K1200GT (Sold...I miss the Brick)
Brickflyer is offline   Reply With Quote