Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #31
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierstf View Post
My only complaint is that I found a bit of distortion with the shield. It is much more curved than the shield on my other helmets and it felt like my vision was slightly distorted when the shield was down. Has anyone else had this issue?
It is nature of the beast when curving plastic at that face bar area. The distortion was present in the face shields of the Fly and the Shoei Hornet helmets I tried on at Iron Pony and noticed it in the Joe Rocket Hybrid I bought. It affects viewing instruments a bit. I'm sure it is something that one will adjust to dealing with.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #32
Recon690
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Is there a distortion difference between the Arai, Shoie and other higher priced helmets?
Recon690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #33
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierstf View Post
I found the AFX to be more round. I found that I got a hot spot on my forehead, so it took some tweaking to get it comfortable. I eventually shaved down the foam in the front to make it work for me. I had no issues wearing sunglasses with the helmet.

.....my only complaint is that I found a bit of distortion with the shield. It is much more curved than the shield on my other helmets and it felt like my vision was slightly distorted when the shield was down. Has anyone else had this issue?
You sure you don't have the FX-37? Your comments are consistent others for that model.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #34
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 119
Fly sizing vs. other Fly helmets?

Do any of all y'all Fly owners wear any other Fly helmets?

I've got a Fly F2 Carbon moto helmet, and wondering how the Trekker fits in comparison since they're from the same company.
thanks,
Gordo
GordoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #35
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 202
I just bought the afx fx 39 last week. I stuck to the sizing chart which put me a size smaller than what I wear in a shoei. For the $$ this is a great helmet. No vision distortion, vents awesome, tight fit in the cheeks at first but fine now that it got broken in a bit. I did a ride that included fog, mid 90 degree temps and frog strangling rain followed by mid 90 heat again, and this helmet handled it all. Didn't fog, vents awesome. It is loud, but I ride with earplugs so no big deal for me. I was really surprised it kept the rain out (better than my shoei tzr). it is tight if you try to use sunglasses with it but I think that will get better the more it is used too. Would I buy it again ...hell yes!
Sharkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon690 View Post
Is there a distortion difference between the Arai, Shoie and other higher priced helmets?

I didn't do any scientific measurements, but tried on the Fly and the Shoei as well as my Joe Rocket. They all have some distortion low on the shield, part of having such a radical curve to fit the chin bar. I have a friend who has the Arai and he checked out my JR, said it was about the same. I'm thinking they all have some distortion that's part of the give and take of the Dual sport helmet compromise.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #37
wakdady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
i just ordered the Fly version and now i'm looking for a dark smoke visor. Seems they don't make one. But AFX sells one for the FX-39. If they are indeed the same helmet, shouldn't the AFX shield work on the FLY?
wakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #38
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakdady View Post
i just ordered the Fly version and now i'm looking for a dark smoke visor. Seems they don't make one. But AFX sells one for the FX-39. If they are indeed the same helmet, shouldn't the AFX shield work on the FLY?

I would think so, however one might have some sort of propriatary notch or something. I have the AFX version, and the visor is in the mail. I will take some shots of it, and sent it to you if you're interested. Not the most scientific, but hey....

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown
aim2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #39
biggurn
Yes, it is BIG.

Oddometer: 97
I just ordered the Fly Trekker in hi-viz. From what I can tell it and the AFX come from the same mold (had them hand in hand) but they have different "internals" each uses their own design for liners. I think that is where the difference is in fit and "shape." I liked the Fly better. We'll see though as I had to try on another Fly as the dealer was out of the color I wanted and I really thought Hi-Viz looked cool.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #40
adayinthedirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Two quick questions y'all...
1) Does the Fly come with the little plate covers for when removing the visor? (like the afx-39 does)
2) Did anyone ever figure out if the afx shields fit the fly trekker?

adayinthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #41
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthedirt View Post
1) Does the Fly come with the little plate covers for when removing the visor? (like the afx-39 does)

I'd like to know, too. Bump for a response.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #42
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthedirt View Post

Sorry, missed this. The Fly does not come with the side shields (the AFX does). Shields are 100% interchangeable between the two.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #43
norcalstew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Still wondering if goggles can be worn with the shield down. If so, does the goggle strap interfear with the shield? The only thing stopping me is the use with goggles, other than that it looks like a winner. I want to pull the trigger on one of these but not enough info yet.
norcalstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #44
botzz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
watch from 0.28 for your answer.

http://youtu.be/XAp10sOM4B0
botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #45
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
I have this helmet, any questions?

It's a nice helmet though there is a lot of wind noise. I don't like the fact that the visor can only be opened half or all the way.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote