Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
sportline OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Peaks on helmets. please explain.

Hi.
I'm going to be buying a new helmet for a trip to spain this june. I have full off road lids with peaks and goggles. And I have tatty old road helmets with scrathched visors. So I'm looking for a new road lid. My friend has bought a Arai supermoto lid with a removable peak. Its a nice bit of kit and a good price.

I was warned that while touring the peak will give me major trouble with wind catching it and pulling my head back.

So this has me thinking. What is actualy the point in the peak. Where will it benefit me. On my dirtbikes i sometimes dip my head if theres chipping or mud flying up and it can divert some of it hitting my goggles. Is there any point for road use?

Thanks.
sportline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,043
It functions as a sunshade, but for on road use at highway speeds will create a lot of resistance on your neck, unless you have a good size windshield.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,772
Don't know about the arai, but the peak on my shoei hornet doesn't grab much wind below 80mph. It does block the sun somewhat though, and is nice to have in the rain especially when stopped.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,519
I rode with an off-road peaked helmet on my Strom. The peak makes for a good sun visor and as said, helps with rain. Never felt any pull from the wind catching it.
They are a noisy helmets though, especially the ones without a visor. I'd recommend the Shoei Hornet or Arai XD.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
GlenInk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb

I have an Aeroh S4 with a peak on, no issues for me with wind, had the lid for more than 3000 miles
Old 03-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
I've used the Shoei and found that over shoulder checks at about a ton were unpleasent. BMW Enduro lid with the cut outs in the peak is far more bearable and you soon get used to it. On the road, it works as a sunshade, a means of blocking glare from the ****s who don't dip their headlights and when you're going slower (slightly) reduces the amount of rain/snow on your visor if you tilt your head forwards a bit. Looks cool on offroad style bikes too.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,372
I know that after long or windy days...the Hornet can get annoying. I just pulled it off if it became an issue.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
smilin'Ed
Ed

Oddometer: 478
anybody using the ICON Variant? I've been looking at one of those lately, they seem to have gotten good reviews but I don't know anyone who has one.

E
smilin'Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I primarily ride in an Arai XD. It allows me to see the road surface much clearer then a traditional road helmet. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and reduces glare. Also going from bright sunshine to deep shade was a problem for me but the Arai fixed that
I have no issues with the helmet at speed, well, under a 100 MPH. I generally use the helmet with my R1200GS with the stock windscreen.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
ADZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I find i get less wind resistance with my MX lid with a peak compared to a full face, the chin piece and peak seem to break up the wind
ADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
I primarily ride in an Arai XD. It allows me to see the road surface much clearer then a traditional road helmet. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and reduces glare. Also going from bright sunshine to deep shade was a problem for me but the Arai fixed that
I have no issues with the helmet at speed, well, under a 100 MPH. I generally use the helmet with my R1200GS with the stock windscreen.
+1 on this except I'm on an '89 Honda TransAlp with a Givi screen. No problems up to 70 mph, for me.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHG1382 View Post
anybody using the ICON Variant? I've been looking at one of those lately, they seem to have gotten good reviews but I don't know anyone who has one.

E
Yes. The peak on the Variant flows air very well. So well that if I am pointing my head forward, I get no perceptible lift or tug at 100 mph on a naked bike like a Hypermotard. Turning my head to either side does result in some drag.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Don't know about the arai, but the peak on my shoei hornet doesn't grab much wind below 80mph. It does block the sun somewhat though, and is nice to have in the rain especially when stopped.
+1 on the hornet but the caveat is the windshield. rode an R1200R with a tiny windscreen the other day and the peak was a wind grabber above 60mph.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

Follow my current ride
lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I've used the Shoei and found that over shoulder checks at about a ton were unpleasent. BMW Enduro lid with the cut outs in the peak is far more bearable and you soon get used to it. On the road, it works as a sunshade, a means of blocking glare from the ****s who don't dip their headlights and when you're going slower (slightly) reduces the amount of rain/snow on your visor if you tilt your head forwards a bit. Looks cool on offroad style bikes too.
+1 but I have used a Shoei and the a Z1R and now enjoy a Oneal Series 3 Avalon. Does all the same things as mentioned above. I almost wear it on my cruiser too except I sit back where as on the DS/MX I sit fwd.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,728
Never bothers me even in high wind. Sure, if you throw your head back at speed, it'll pull at ya but I tend not to randomly try to look at the sky straight above me.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote