User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Cheatin5 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
A rented Harley and a day in Southern California

In early March, my wife and I had a day in San Diego to spend making some memories. I'll start by saying that the guys (Cameron and Rick) at Eagle Rider in San Diego were incredible. Although I my initial goal was to rent an adventure tourer like a BMW GS or Multistrada, the choice of a Harley was pretty damn good for the ride we took. These guys were terrific in hooking us up with a 2010 Road Glide and a great route.

We left Coronado at around 8am and headed west on 94. Once you're out of town, this road has a desert feel - to an east coaster, at least - with plenty of turns. In fact the Hwy94photo.com dude, Charles, snapped our photo...

94 is a pretty twisty road and a Road Glide is a hoss to move around on the tight stuff. Maybe I'm just used to lighter bikes. Regardless, that V-twin made the ride kind of lazy, so it felt very comfortable at very relaxed speeds.

After stopping for a water - both in and out - at Cameron Corners, we moved north on Buckman Springs road. A little straighter road, the Harley was pretty comfortable. All this time, the scenery was great. Low, farming lands, hint of desert. The daytime temp was hovering in the high-60's that morning, so we were really enjoying ourselves.

Buckman Springs road intersects the interstate, so we picked up a few miles on the superslab. I really hate the interstate on a bike, but what the hell. Besides, it gave us the opportunity to get stopped by the Border Patrol. That doesn't happen here in Tennessee.

We picked up 79 near Descanso had rode north to Julian. This was probably the most scenic part of the ride. Cuyamaca Lake and the high roads (4500 feet elevation) were absolutely beautiful. There was still snow on the ground, but it wasn't cold. Just pretty.

In Julian, we gassed up at $4.00 plus a gallon (oof), grabbed a buffalo burger, and headed west towards Oceanside on 78. Before we leave Julian, I have to tell you that the town is pretty cool: touristy, but with a lot of bikes. As you come down the mountain, you have some pretty steep drops to the valley below. I have to admit that on a heavy bike, I was hesitant to get to close to the edge and take a peek. You know, the bike goes where you look and I did not want to wind up wadded up in a ball at the bottom. Besides, looking over the edge made my tummy tickle.

Anyhow, we got to the coast and headed back to drop off the bike. Honestly, the coast was the least eventful part of the trip. Thank God you can lane split in California. Growing up surfing in Florida, I found it cool to pass surfers and it reminded me how much I miss it, but the best part of the ride was the mountains.

Once again, I cannot say enough about the Eagle guys. California is a beautiful place. Something that I'm sure the residents already know. The bike was flawless, the ride was great, and my wife and I will have this memory forever.
Attached Images

Cheatin5 screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 12:35 PM
Cheatin5 is offline   Reply With Quote