User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
d-squared OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
How do I rescue key trapped under seat?

Yes, I am a moron. While removing my tool kit from underneath my seat I inadvertently set the key down somewhere inside. Of course I popped the seat back on. I don't have the spare - lost that one a long time ago. Has anybody ever tried to get under the seat without their starter key? Anybody? Beuller? Its an 08 ADV.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Cuse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
That sucks!!! Try tipping it to one side and lifting the side of the seat to see if it will slide out. Or try a chainsaw and buy a new seat. Hope you get it out.
Cuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,587
A locksmith may be your best bet. Load the bike up and take it to their office to avoid the charges for them coming to you. With the VIN or the number off the lock they might be able to make a key for you.

You may call the KTM dealer and see if they know what is needed to get a new key cut. They may have access to bike info that would provide key numbers for a locksmith, if they can't do it for you. At least they could sell you a KTM key blank. Otherwise I think the locksmith will use a Triumph key blank, as I was told when getting my spare keys made that they use the same blank.

Any other way you try to get under there might be destructive. Check parts prices on the ones you might have to cut and weigh that against the locksmith quote.

Either way, get a couple of spare keys made. Keep one in the wallet and one in the house or shop.

Good luck.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
d-squared OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the chainsaw advice but i'm not at the nuclear option yet. I'll try the dealer this morning and see what they suggest. I have the key number, but I'm not sure what good that will do me.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Can you not buy the correct key on the chassis number from KTM
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,237
Go to dealer or riding buddy with same/similar model bike. Look under seat at the latch. Take notes/pics on where to cut or melt a slot through the fender plastic relative to the right hand mounting bolt so you can trip the latch bar.

Trip the bar, fill the slot with JB weld or tape over for future use.

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Murray75
Rookie

Oddometer: 32
Disclaimer: I'm usually drinkin' when I wrench so what comes next could be a bunch of BS but...

Isn't the seat latch a simple cable pull? Turn the key on the side panel, that pulls on the seat latch to unlock? That's what I remember from when I had mine apart last. So, I know you can't get the side panel off due to the screws at the top which are under the seat but I think you could remove the bolts you have access to and then pull the side panel outward enough to get a stubby socket or screwdriver behind the lock mechanism and remove it from the side panel. At that point just pull on the cable to release the seat. No?

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...
Murray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,404
Reach up under the panel with a needle nose plier and grab the cable and twist it or pull it. That will work as I've done that myself a few times. When you get it open make a copy and then zip tie it onto the frame somewhere inconspicuous so you'll have it for those times you lose a key.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
Sort of like dropping your guitar pick down through the sound hole... just flip it upside-down and shake it 'till if falls out. No problem.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
d-squared OP
Adventurer

Unless i can jimmy the wire lock I'm screwed. The dealer explained that i need my ORANGE KEY to get a copy made. Otherwise, it will cost me about a million dollars to re-program the computer and get a new key - or some crazy-ass tale. I never received my orange master key. I didn't know i should have received one. Naturally, my dealer says it was provided (it wasn't). The dealer says he's willing to have his service guys tear down the bike to get to it.
This orange key business is pretty inconvenient - especially when u realize you don't have one. What a crock! I'm grabbing a beer and headed to the garage. Somethings gotta give. This is one morning I should have stayed in bed.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,003
I did this once while on a trip in the middle of nowhere. I was able to pry the Corbin seat up enough to see that I left the key right on top and got it with a piece of wire. Now my seat lock is modified so I can open it with any key or screwdriver.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-squared View Post
The dealer explained that i need my ORANGE KEY to get a copy made. Otherwise, it will cost me about a million dollars to re-program the computer and get a new key - or some crazy-ass tale.
Look in your briefcase that came with the bike.

It's true- it'd be cheaper to cut the seat in half than to have another key made.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
d-squared OP
Adventurer

Mission accomplished

special thanks to sakurama and murray75. I just jail broke the lock using their advice. it didn't take that long. Needed an extra hand to hold the shroud and the flashlight - after removing all the bolts. Had to disassemble the lock. Nothing broken - just my spirit, temporarily. All back together.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,404
It's both great and disappointing that its so easy right?

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
d-squared OP
Adventurer

Well it wasn't THAT easy. I guess if someone wants to steal my seat without the key, or re-map my bike without my knowledge when i'm parked at gas station buying some beef jerky, I guess I'm screwed.